Elephantom

Aug 13, 2003
I really screwed up my kx125 drain plug first it was stripped when I got it
so I tapped it out and helicoiled it but I did something wrong because
after I did it it kept leaking so I tried to tighten it more but ended up cracking off part of the case itself around the drain plug, Is there anyone
who can fix this or are the cases ruined?

BlazinBoy

Feb 13, 2004
Yup either have it welded and re-drilled/tapped or suck it up and buy a new set of cases. Perhaps you can find a used set of cases somewhere. Good luck.

Coolector

Nov 25, 2003
I saw a guy selling aluminum welding(braizing rods) last year at a car show, He actually broke a hole in a lawnmore case with a small ball pein hammer and then welded the hole over, pretty cool. I don't remember the product but its out there. I'd ask your local welder.
Andy

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Elephantom said:
Is there anyone
who can fix this or are the cases ruined?

Any good tig-welder should be able to weld it up and re drill and tap the drain hole for you. Check around your area for someone that specializes in aluminum welding or a fabrication shop that does aluminum welding. :thumb:

Hogwylde

Aug 1, 2001
Chances are your cases are ruined. Why U ask? When you weld the aluminum, the heat will distort the case in that area. Chances are also good that the drain plug is either right at or really close to the seam between the cases. Welding in this area will probably fix the drain plug, but warp the cases enough to cause them to leak now. Even if they don't leak now, they will probably be distorted enough to leak and never properly seal again if you ever take the cases apart for a rebuild.

**Disclaimer** Notice the liberal use of the words "probably" and "chances are". You may well be able to weld the cases and not have a single problem, they never leak, and everything is hunky dory.

Feb 23, 2004
Last year I landed a jump on my drain plug and ripped it through the case...i cleaned up all the broken shards of aluminum with a dremel tool and had an aluminum welder weld a piece of quarter inch billet aluminum (the case is cast aluminum) over the hole...i had a small oil leak once i put the bike back together, but fixed that with some silicone around the weld...one problem, i have a tranny issue now (see my post: only got neutral and second) and if i have to split the case halves i'll need to cut the plate off since it was welded over the split between the two halves. Morale of the story: going with the cheap and easy fix often causes grief down the road! ...if you're cheap like me however, you probably want to risk it!

Elephantom

Aug 13, 2003
I'm trying to get some new cases for cheap now, but this isn't the kind of bike I want to spend alot of $$$ on because its only worth about $1k in good condition :think: plus I probably won't even ride it, will be mostly for my bros and for me to screw around on when I don't want to mess with the 250

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Hogwylde said:
Chances are your cases are ruined. Why U ask? When you weld the aluminum, the heat will distort the case in that area.

**Disclaimer** Notice the liberal use of the words "probably" and "chances are". You may well be able to weld the cases and not have a single problem, they never leak, and everything is hunky dory.

They can be tig-welded without warping the cases. A good tig-welder should be able to weld right up to the gasket without burning the gasket. If you are unsure of this, split the cases and have them welded then re-surface them. :thumb:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom