TM-Frank

Dec 15, 2000
All 4 extension stop cables on my Asterisk braces were broken and so I ordered them together with a new buckle which was also broken.

Asterisk handled that order as a warranty item and shipped the stuff to me at once without charging anything. Great service - thanks again! :thumb:

Unfortunely it took the german customs service nearly two weeks to figure out that there was no nuclear bomb in that envelope.
I didn't like the thought of waiting more than two weeks for such small spare parts and so I thought of a way to fix these broken cable loops on my own.

I heated the brass blocks of the old, torn cables until the wire came out easily.
Then I cut a length of 93 mm from 1.5 mm steel cable, which came with a universal clutch cable repair kit.
The first 2 of the 4 cables I soldered into their brass blocks, but the other two wouldn't hold up (due to my poor soldering talent).
So for the other ones I mixed epoxy glue (UHU Endfest 300) and glued the cables into the block. It is a glue that can be baked in an oven to increase durability.
Both, the soldered and the glued ones did hold up during the last long weekend (three days of riding), which means that I have 4 spare cables now.
The whole repair took me less than half an hour and cost nearly nothing.

So don't throw away the old cables, they can be reused!

Top Bottom