robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
I see a couple Barnett kits for my RM on a certain auction site, but I have heard that the Barnett kits sometimes have issues with the plates being too thick. . .

Any real world experience?

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
robwbright said:
Any real world experience?

Yes, the first clutch we replaced on my son's 03 we went with a Barnett kit. Had nothing but grief, and I don't think the clutch ever worked right with that clutch in no matter what we adjusted. Broke a plate in relatively short order (at DW04) and that was it for the Barnett clutch. I've seen many that swear by em as well so YMMV. I really think it's a hit and miss thing, and unfortunately for us we missed.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
Thanks Chili - you've been quite helpful on this.

I worked some overtime this week so I'd have some extra money to buy the plates in the next week or two.

I'm either going to go with OEM or the brand the shop recommended - the parts guy said they have had nothing but good results with these - I think they were called "KG".

The OEM's are $92.00

The KG's are $63.00

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Not familiar with that brand. we tried Barnett and a kit from DP and was not satisified with either. FWIW the former Factory Suzuki mechanic who fixed our bike at DW (had to split cases to get broken piece of clutch plate stuck betweeen gears in tranny) used Kawasaki plates from a KX125. I can't recall what year they were from but he said he preferred them. Might be something else to research as a lot of Kawi OEM parts are reasonably priced.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
I've had really poor luck with Barnett fiber plates as well. On a couple of Yamahas I found that the Barnett plates were outside the factory upper max thickness limit and they caused a huge stack up error. What a nightmare. The consistency of the OEM plates has always seemed to be worth the money for me.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
Rich Rohrich said:
I've had really poor luck with Barnett fiber plates as well. On a couple of Yamahas I found that the Barnett plates were outside the factory upper max thickness limit and they caused a huge stack up error. What a nightmare. The consistency of the OEM plates has always seemed to be worth the money for me.

Thanks Rich. It's really weird because some people swear by them and others hate them.

I think I'll avoid the Barnett's.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Eric has used DP plates and Moose plates with good results. Vesrah also seems to have a pretty good rep. I'll just stick with OEM plates and avoid the drama all together. :)

Top Bottom