Hinson basket/Barnett clutch opinions?

yz_387

Jun 6, 2001
Just wondering if anyone has tried this combination. Last night I helped a friend install a Hinson basked and Barnett clutch on his 1998 CR 250. When he called up Hinson for some installation advide the guy gave him a real hard time about using the Barnett clutch. He told him that it was junk, the plates would brake, and he should get rid of it and install stock components. Has anyone had problems with the barnett clutch, or was this guy just full of it? thanks.

skhasky

Apr 8, 2002
I dunno what the deal with Hinson is when it comes to Barnett. Must be bad blood somewhere. There is nothing wrong with Barnett clutches, however I like stock bettter (except for aluminum plates). Hinson's specific complaint about Barnett has usually centered around the fact that Barnett uses Kevlar. According to Hinson, this material contaminates oil and prematirely wears the tranny. Are they right? I don't knoe - but they sure act like they have a bone to pick...

yz_387

Jun 6, 2001
nobody has any opinions? I am really starting to question if Barnett does make a bad clutch. Ever since the swap, the tranny oil has been VERY dirty each time it was changed.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
i have used barnett clutches in my hondas several times. i've never had any problems. as a matter of fact, i have a barnett in my honda right now. the springs seem a little stiffer than stock but other than that, i can't tell any noticeable difference.

ochster

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 11, 2000
I'm not a fan pf Barnett cluches, but Hinson has no room to badmouth anyone. I had a conversation with them about designing a basket for a specific bike. They told me it was on thier to do list, and at the present time just lacked oem componets for R&D. We agreed, I would supply some componets, and they would keep me in touch. After several months of hearing nothing I called. They said they needed more time, and would call in a couple weeks. Again hearing nothing a few weeks later, I called. At this time I was told, there not interested and will return my componets. A couple weeks go bye, and I finally get my brand new oem componets that I shipped to them. Problem is, they chose not to put them back into the nice boxes and packing I had used, but to merely put them into a small box with no packing. Needless to say the clutch hub had bent up fingers and was basically useless. I called to make a shipping claim. I was informed they usually insure when they ship, but did not on mine. They refused to pay for the damaged parts, and would only consider a partial payment, if I provided replacement reciepts. These people were terrible to deal with, I was appaled at thier attitude. He then told me, "we really are not that into the bike stuff, and don't care to get more into it". Nice $250 lesson to me.

BigSchafft

Apr 20, 2000
I recently installed a hinson basket with barnett clutch kit(plates/friction) on my 'oo cr250. raced it and had two rides then the innermost friction plate broke in 3 places. Fortunatley that was the only damage done, $10 later and 30 minutes of wrenching had me back up and running. Ive been meaning to contact barnett aboutthis to get reimbursed my 10 for the extra plate so we'll see what happens.

los36

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
I don't know about the Barnett and Hinson tiff. I do have an Hinson basket and tried an EBC clutch, because they are cork based instead of Kevlar...that argument made sense. The problem is that they swelled. No matter how I adjusted my clutch or how far I pulled in the lever, it always dragged while engaged. So...I kept the steel driven plates and got some stock fibers.
In the past, I have used Barnett clutches and have had no problems, that I can remember, but will probably not use them again due to the Kevlar.

yz_387

Jun 6, 2001
For the record, the Barnett/Hinson combo lasted less than 20 hours before the clutch plates were completely gone. And the response was horrible. Now the bike has a Stock clutch in the Hinson basket and performs awesome.

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
I like to use stock plates or like vesrah or ebc I dont like the barnetts because The outer tangs usually are thinner and gall up the basket . I realize barnett has attempted to adress this but I havent seen any real difference in the latest ones Ive seen . Iwill tell you this I almost always use barnett cluch springs on motors . On certain motors (Quads mostly) there is constant attention needed to keep a clutch working properly. XR400 & TRX 400 share same clutch components but when you power 2 rear wheels and push more metal the cluch gets abused much more . If you soup up an EX motor and dont at least put springs in it it will slip in a week . Oh yeah Hinson stuff wears out also . My friend Rob K would run his 125 in sand and he could waste a Hinson inner hub in like 3 weeks . He was a real clutcher , You know ,on current YZ125 there is a shifter mechanism spacer thats made of plastic Rob the clutcher would get the tranny oil so hot it would melt the plastic sleeve and the oil fill plug . He was strong and he would ride the bike until his arms went out . I think Kevlar good for brakes but maybe not so good curculating around in your tranny . ESP not something like a street bike with babbit or plain bearings. Just my opinion based on what Ive seen .

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
I put some plates in my YZ 250. I used Clutch Factory parts. They have the same markings as OEM Yamaha. The price was less than Yamaha parts. It works well with my Hinson Basket.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
Oh, and I talked to the Hinson folks last nite with some questions. They know motorcycles. If they say no Kevlar, do it.

The tech support guys there went above and beyond the call of duty to help me. If you did not get good help, ask for someone else at Hinson. I thought I knew a lot about my YZ clutch.........NOT.

john stu

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 7, 2002
i tryed a barrnet clutch in my cr250 and it sucked! it dragged bad no matted how it was adjusted (yes it was adjusted properly and i even socked the plates over night in oil before installing)and it was much harder to pull in than stock. 3 weeks later i couln't take the dragging anymore (and the arm pump from the 5.4 kg clutch springs that came with the clutch i took them out and thought about using them in my rear shock) and bought a stock clutch and now its mint i am no expert but i don't think ANY aftermarket clutch is as good as stock .the baskets are anouther story i have had very good luck with hinson baskets

Top Bottom