bragi

Apr 16, 2001
Hi:

I am absolute beginner to motocross. I just bought a Kawasaki KDX 200 (1990). There are a couple of sand tracks close to my house. Can anyone recommend to me any good starting practices?

I should modify this. I can perfectly drive a motorcycle (I have just had street bikes).

I kind of wanted tips on how to practice driving off-road. How to go into curves, go over bumps, standing/sitting etc.

------------------

[This message has been edited by bragi (edited 04-16-2001).]

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Don't let off the throttle on the start, if you do you will BOG.

------------------

zsr

Mar 17, 2001
Many will disagree but start in second. This will give you smoother, more controlable power and longer to concentrate on your control before having to shift.

As Mike T says, don't back off, if you start to lose traction or directional stability, KEEP IT PEGGED and use the clutch to feather the power to the back wheel. The clutch is built to be abused and will take it (but use fresh gear oil). As you rev out shift up , full power, no clutch.

Change shorts and try again. :)

------------------
98 CR125 01 CR250 99YZF R1

Thanks to: Motorex / D.I.D. / Vesrah / YES Helmets

slo' mo

slower than slow...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
bragi,
welcome to the best dirtbike site on the internet. You will find many helpful people here. Do yourself a favor and read the faq and don't be afraid to ask questions. Get a service manual for your KDX and keep it maintained well. I knew nothing about motorcycle maintenance until I joined here. Everybody is great with providing info and answering questions, just try to post in the correct forum, you'll get better answers that way.
good luck and have fun.

------------------
you never really learn to swear until you learn to ride.

Randy KX125

Sep 6, 2000
Get gary Semics book on MX techniques. It should prove to be very helpful. You can purchase it(and instructional videos)at his webpage: GSMXS.com

Good Luck

Randy KX125

------------------

Aug 6, 2000
Stand as much as you can it will absorb bumps better.

Cornering - go full speed into a corner and then slam on the front brake as hard as you can. Put the foot thats on the inside out to your front SLIGHTY BENT (that will transfer wieght to the front for better grip) then at the right point go full throttle and blast out of the corner.

------------------
16/m

1980 Yamahe Enduro DT175

biker

Sep 22, 2000
I wouldn't use the "slam the front break on as hard as you can technique" to much. I think it would be bad for your health. Use the front break going into corners, but apply it short of locking it up. If you lock it up it's easy to lose control.

------------------

Aug 6, 2000
Originally posted by biker:
I wouldn't use the "slam the front break on as hard as you can technique" to much. I think it would be bad for your health. Use the front break going into corners, but apply it short of locking it up. If you lock it up it's easy to lose control.

Opps I left that out :confused:

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
Don't coast. You should always be either on the gas or on the brakes. If you are going to moto that KDX, some suspension work is definately in order, the stock fork springs are too soft to even sit on the bike, much less handle any jumps.

When you are on the track, don't try to race the other bikes, that will get you hurt if you have no experience. Race the track.

Stand as much as possible, this will give you better control in rough stuff, and will keep you from being spit over the bars in big whoops.

Learn to move around on the bike. You can't just sit in one position, you have to slide forward for turns, back for acceleration, middle of the bike for bumps, etc...

Keep your elbows up when sitting. This will give you much better control of the bike.

Practice, Practice, Practice...watch other riders when they are going aroud the track to see what lines they take, what they use for braking points, etc...did I say practice?

------------------
1992 KDX 250-FMF porting,two-stage power reeds, Fatty pipe, Power Core silencer,titanium rod,Wiseco Ultra-lite, Pro-Action suspension...Oh my Gawd, they killed Kenny!

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
Why motocross? With a KDX200 you will have to race in the 250 class. If you race hare scrambles the lowest class is the 200 class. Also a KDX suspension is much more suited to hare scrambles than motocross.

------------------

RM250boy

Mar 7, 2001
just have fun and if you can video yourself it will be helpful to see what it looks like you are doing...

------------------
John
'99 RM 250

Top Bottom