michman

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 7, 2000
I think the the most memorable part of this years DW was at Saturdays award ceremonywas when they presented "DW or bust" award. When Gomer explain why and who was getting "DW or Bust" everyone was on their feet and clapping the the loudest and longest. That still puts a a tear in my eye as I type this. Can't wait to see Mrs. Gomer at the next DW.

Mike(Michman)

Mikeb

~SPONSOR~
Jun 8, 1999
I have to agree with you on that one Mike. That woman is a SAINT for having to put up with Gomer but man to keep smiling through all that .... :worship: :worship: :worship: for YOU Lori. Just like I told ya Saturday ... You have the strength of almost 20,000 members pullin for you. :thumb:

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
^^^^^What they said. I still tear up just thinking about Gomer's touching tribute to his wife Lori.

She's the BEST. :worship:

Smitty

Alowishus Devadander
Nov 10, 1999
Can someone fill me in on the tribute? I was already gone. I always knew Gomer was alright no matter what Ivan said about him.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Did someone record it? I'd like to see it. I know Lori has been struggling for a while. Not to mention having to put up with Gomer :p

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
I'll give it a shot. (I have the type of memory that allows me to remember things almost word for word. I drives my wife crazy.)

Gomer said: "Two years ago, the moderators sat around at the first event to discuss the DW or bust award. As some of you may recall, there was a guy who drove all the way to the event in a Dodge Neon. That in itself is an accomplishment. But, to our amazement, when he opened the door, he had a KTM 380 EXC IN the Neon with him. 380EXCMan was the winner of the first DW or bust award.

"This year's recipient was diagnossed with Cancer a few years ago. She hasn't let that get her down though. Instead, she's met it head on and has been kicking it's A$$. A week or so ago, the doctor determined that she would need surgery. She responded, 'Well, you better schedule the surgery for 1st thing Monday morning, because we're leaving for Oklahoma on Monday afternoon!' (Obviously, not going was not an option)

"This year's winner of the DW or Bust award is my wife, Lori Nyland.

(Mucho aplause, standing ovation, no dry eyes in the house. Lori comes up and Gomer gives her a big hug.)

"You guys get the trophies and prizes, but I get to take her home with me."

Wow, it was very special. Lori is an incrediable woman! What a great family. What an awesome tribute. I was glad that I was there to see it.

Gomer, I'm sorry if I put a few words in your mouth, or left something out. Maybe you can clean this up for me.

You guys get the picture though.

Last edited:

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
That was definately very touching and emotional. I teared up then and I'm tearing up now. I don't know how Gomer got through the entire speech part of the award... there would be no way I could have done that without getting too choked up to continue. Lori is one tough and amazing woman!

slo' mo

slower than slow...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
I didn't even know about it until Gomer mentioned it. Going to make sure she gets on every prayer list I can find.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Lori is an amazing person, for her it's always about the other person being comfortable or happy. Even last year when she was getting treatment they loaded up and headed to DW and slept in the cargo trailer! I KNOW NOT making DW was never a thought in her head. This year as usual Lori was all over the track whenever a rider was down, usually running to them. Now that the word is out I hope everyone has her in their thoughts and realizes that when they say "It's too far away." how lame that excuse really sounds to me.

Smitty

Alowishus Devadander
Nov 10, 1999
Thanks Tim. Good luck to the whole family.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
When we were going over the awards just prior to presenting them, I told Mike there was no way I could present after he did DW or Bust, I'd need a little time to compose myself. No, I didn't know what he was going to say, but I know Mike; there is a massive heart in that big oaf. I knew he’d say what he felt and that it would be eloquently delivered. The feeling in that tent when everyone jumped to their feet was incredible. When I posted in another thread that I felt pride, that was what came to mind. For that time, that few minutes under the big top in a field, in the middle of nowhere, the world was right.

There are experiences and lessons in life that make a major impact; that was truly one of them. Lori & Mike… I love you guys.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Amen, the power of pride and love.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Originally posted by Okie
When I posted in another thread that I felt pride, that was what came to mind. For that time, that few minutes under the big top in a field, in the middle of nowhere, the world was right.

There are experiences and lessons in life that make a major impact; that was truly one of them. Lori & Mike… I love you guys. [/B]

I felt that way about the entire week. I left my stuff out so folks could use it, I loaned whatever was needed. I never felt bad begging for coffee from Wes. It was just the biggest family reunion I've ever attended and people were instantly friendly, funny and kind. Yeah, the world was right for an entire week! But that award did tear me up too. Good luck to ya Lori.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Up to that point in Dirtweek, I had only had an introduction to Lori. When I was given my appreciation award directly after Lori's, I had to get a hug. No offence Okie but my award was nothing after that. The expression on Lori's face when I asked her for a hug was WAY better. I told her, "Thanks for making it to Dirtweek!"

Top Bottom