motorider200

Nov 11, 2002
I have a 97 200 and the bike won't shift up or down. It would get stuck periodicaly the last two rides I went on but I could always get it working again. This time I can't get it unstuck. If I have too split the cases how difficult is it to do and what might be wrong with it. Any help would be great.
Thanx
braden

andrew

Aug 7, 1999
mate, pull off the right side cover and check the shifter spring. Mine did something similar and the spring was broken. It's simple to replace. Get a manual to see the exploded diagram.

Cheers,
Andrew

KDXTrreme

Oct 31, 2001
If it's not the spring, STOP RIDING! You will do much more damage. I had my KIPS pin break off the shaft inside the motor and bang around a bit. It started with me being stuck in 3rd. I kept riding and did all kinds of damage. My mechanic said the pin had almost been forced through the case. If I would have stopped riding my repair would have been much cheaper, instead I needed 3 new gears and a shaft. While it's apart, you might as well have the shop replace all the seals/bearings in the bottom end. I took advantage of my misfortune by sending my entire engine to Jeff Fredette ( www.frpoffroad.com ) and had him do the repair to the bottom end and replate/port my cylinder and do the topend. The bike now screams!

Nov 12, 2002
I bought a used CR250 once and the same thing happened to me...

When I changed the tranny oil, the drain plug (obviously not the original) had several thick washers on it. When I put the drain plug back in, I only used one copper washer to seal.

It took me a while to figure out that the drain plug was too long and was hitting the shift drum in the tranny. That's why it was stuck in gear!!

motorider200

Nov 11, 2002
Thanks for the replies. I will probally go ahead and take the the cover off the right side and check everything in there. If I don't find anything obviously wrong I will go ahead and pull the engin and mabye tear down the top end to cut down on shop costs if I end up taking it to one. What kind of special tools are needed to split the cases? . How much harder than a top end is it? My dad and I are both fairly mechanical we have done several top ends on a yz and i've done one on my kdx.

beefking

~SPONSOR~
Nov 12, 2002
In my opinion, its not really that hard to split the cases. Make sure you keep all the parts organised really good in a big tray of parts, makes it MUCH easier!
The only special tools you'll need are a flywheel puller, about $10 at the dealer, and I made a puller (more of a "pusher") for pressing off the left hand cover off of the crank bearing. It was a 2x6 block of wood, with a hole in the middle (lines up w/crank) and 5 holes that match up with the ones around the magneto. Bolted the block up to the case with extended bolts. Then put a large (M12 or M10) bolt through the hole, up against a nickel siliconed to the crank as to not damage it. A large fender washer went over the bolt on the other side, then held a nut against the washer. Holding the nut and turning the bolt presses against the crank, pulling the case off with a few loud snaps.
Once the case is off it should be pretty easy to see what the problem is. Shifter forks on the KDX seem to wear out/bend pretty easily, take a good look at that. Look at all gears, see if they are siezed to the shaft/bushings, look at drum shifter/slider pins etc.
Puttin the case back together is easy, just slap all the stuff back into the left case first I think, then line it all up into the right case. Then put a large socket over the left side crank, put the magneto bolt through that and tighten it down (make sure you use some yamabond to seal the cases back up FIRST, I forgot to do that once!).

Not too hard over all, just takes some time. :thumb:

motorider200

Nov 11, 2002
I took the right side cover off and the first thing I saw was a bunch of little metal fragments . After looking it over more I realized that the pin thing that screws on to the end of the power valve shaft was broken off. In my service manual its on page 5-3 and it has a 4 pointing to it. I asume thats what the fragments are from. This just came to me while typeing this I don't think it the gear was stuck I think the little c shaped thing thats on the end of the shift rod is stuck back not allowing it to hit the knobs to switch gears. Because it will shift up or down from neutral but after that the c shaped thing misses the the little knobs. From the pics in the manual it doesn't look like it is not sticking out as far as it should. Does that sound logical to any of you guys? If that is the case do you guys thing I will need to split the cases? Are there any good ways to flush out the trans? By the way all the gears on this side of the trans look fine.

motorider200

Nov 11, 2002
I took the shifter rod out and there were metal fragments in between the two plates not allowing it to move. I blew out the metal fagments out with an air compressor. I extracted the pin that broke of through the shifter hole. So you guys think it would be alright to just flush it out and not worry about spliting it? If so how should I flush it out? Could I just use water?

jaguar

~SPONSOR~
Jul 29, 2000
South America
It's a risk though since if just one chunk of metal is left in there it will do damage to some teeth before being pulverized.
If you're not going to split the cases then you should put a magnetized drain plug in which will give you a percentage of a chance you won't do more damage.

KDXTrreme

Oct 31, 2001
In my previous post you'll see the exact thing happened to me. You have gear damage! DO NOT ride the bike or you will cost yourself ALOT more money. Take it to the shop or take the motor off and send it to Jeff Fredette www.frpoffroad.com and he will fix it for you. That little pin is made of much stronger metal than your gears/cases and has most surely destroyed some of the transmission components. The reason that pin breaks off is because the KIPS vavles are getting harder to turn and the pin gets too much stress. This is a result of not cleaning the KIPS system/topend enough. Call Jeff, get his number off his website, he will tell you all about it and answer all of your questions. Trust me, this just happened to me. Don't screw yourself by thinking you can flush the tranny and get away with it. Sorry for the bum news! When Jeff looked inside my motor he said the pin had been slammed into the case wall almost penetrating it... as in coming all the way through and destroying my case. The price for THAT repair would have been enough to make me buy a new bike.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
I think that pin is hardened steel.  If so, the shavings can be pretty tough on bearings as well as just about everything inside the cases.  If a hard shaving gets imbedded in the clutches fibre disk, it will tear up the plates, etc.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom