Votes: 50 54.3%
  • Hitch carrier

Votes: 10 10.9%
  • other

Votes: 5 5.4%

• Total voters

kawraper

Mar 4, 2009
Just wondering whats everyones method for bike transportation?

Right now I have a mountaineer and a trailer. Its a pain.
But I dont want to trade up for a pickup cause I like the interior space and its good for pulling the sleds. Im looking into a hitch style carrier cause that seems alot easier than buying a new vehicle or hookin up a trailer for one dirtbike. So what do you guys do?

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
I have an S10 pickup that I can get 2 full size bikes and a mini in.

My brother also has an S10, plus we have a small (8ft) trailer that can haul 3 bikes.

Then if we really need to move a lot, we have a 15ft box van.

I've seen all different ways of getting bikes to the track.. Seen a couple show up at the track pulling trailers with the car, and a few minivans with bikes stuffed into them.

Whatever get's you and your bikes to the track is good.. ;)

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Currently I use an enclosed trailer for both bike storage and hauling. I find it much easier to just hookup and go or drop when I get home. In the past I used both the truck and hitch modes, both worked fine.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
I used to use a trailer until I found a cheap Ranger to use. The truck is much simpler. It fits 2 big bikes and a mini just fine. Plus it gets twice the gas mileage of the SUV and trailer.

May 10, 2007
my dad and I use the truck method though i have some friends that pull a trailer behind a minivan. they fit 3 full size bikes and a mini in the trailer then another mini in the van.

Kawi4life

Feb 21, 2005
Supercharged Ford SVT Lightning here, lol.

Picture032.jpg

deanR

Feb 22, 2009
I tow a trailer behind my jeep, its alright i guess. I would like to get a truck someday. but I too like the interior space.

SVTMc-G

Apr 1, 2006
Kawi4life said:
Supercharged Ford SVT Lightning here, lol.

Picture032.jpg

AAAAHHHHH. The sweetest truck made! I almost bought one once.....you can haul bikes....music equipment....and more importantly...haul @$$!!!!!! :aj:

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
I used to have a 4Runner with a small utility trailer but I've now switched to a Toyota pickup truck (regular cab, long box) and it's GREAT! I definitely like being able to just throw the bike in the back and go.

Pushin50

Dec 18, 2006
I pull a three rail trailer with a 97 Mitsu Eclipse. I get 28mpg hauling the bikes around. I have an old truck that hauls my flat bead trailer when I move Bikes and ATV's. I get 13mpg with it. I use the Mitsu 90% of the time.

SVTMc-G

Apr 1, 2006
I will be welding up my hitch carrier with my bro in law this weekend. So far it has cost me $0 in free steel! Just gave my sweet BMX bike to my nephew and the carrier is my favor in return! All we need is a piece of angle and it's done!!

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
redneckbillybob said:
there is a guy that comes to my track...he has an old honda accord, and he removes the wheels of his bike, stuffs it in the trunk. and comes to the track!
I recall seeing a KTM arrive at DirtWeek in a Neon from one of the southern appendages of Canada.

inotocracy

Apr 22, 2008
Unfortunately everytime I go riding I rent a trailer from uhaul :( I don't have enough space in my garage for a trailer since I live in an apartment. We were thinking of getting rid of our second vehicle and getting a truck though, now that would be real nice :)

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
We have a F350 crew cab diesel, Ford Escape, 26' toy hauler, and 12' open trailer w/ ramp. Here are the combos, pros/cons, and mileage.

-F350, 3 bikes in bed, 4-5 adults, kind of a pain to load in the tall truck (at least for me), not as much room for cargo, especially if chance of rain, 18-22 mpg

-F350 and toy hauler, 4 bikes in hauler, can put more bikes, quad, or golf cart in bed of truck, 4-5 adults, nice for overnight trips or rain/cold, 10-12 mpg

-F350 and 12' trailer, can haul a bunch of bikes, quads, golf carts, etc. between trailer and truck bed, 4-5 adults, easier to load onto trailer, lots of room for stuff (if not raining), good for lazy days, 13-15 mpg

-Escape and 12' trailer, 3-4 adults, can haul up to 5 bikes (usually just do 2-3 w/ Escape), some enclosed cargo space, okay for shorter trips, 11-14 mpg

allUseeisRoost

Mod Ban
Apr 13, 2009
I have a rack that gos in the the Reese hitch of my RANGE ROVER. It can hold two bikes or just one. I drove from Maine to Phoenix with my 250r on it and it loved it. Just strap it down good and chain it down too. I also put a chain from the rack to the back of the truck for security/ in case of emergency it will still drag behind upright

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
everyone has their own needs and situation.

I have owned trailers in the past, thought they were a pain! License, do the lights work? harder to pass, parking, backing up, "is the bike ok...I can't see it?" and most importantly I don't have a place at my house to park a trailer without having it just sitting out in my yard and that won't work.

So for these reasons, I've been using a full size truck for years and really enjoy that. Anything that needs to stay dry fits in the back seat. It's critical to get a good loading ramp, and "lower is better" when it comesto the height of the truck. For some stupid reason they are getting taller every year "because it looks cool". It is relatively easy to adjust/modify a truck to lower it, though.

If I raced out of town, or did a lot of overnight trips, it would change things alot. I would probably have a setup with a big truck and a trailer, and realisitically that would mean moving to a different house where I had more room, an oversized garage or a pole building.

ats666

Apr 26, 2007
For a single bike I use the Hitch carrier.
Multiple bikes was a 5X8 trailer (79 YZ250, 2000ish TTR 225, 95 RT100)
93 Honda accord 2dr (modified suspension and a class 3 hitch)

Top Bottom