CHR!S

Jun 30, 2006
**sequal to the "ankle pivot questions" thread**

ok, now im wondering about the booties on the tech 8's. are they hot? do they attach to the boot? do you have to wear them? are the comfortable? do the provide alot of support?

i kind of like the sound of the "isolated" feel they provide. there were alot of gaerne supporters in my first thread and i hope the tech 8 can compete.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
CHR!S said:
**sequal to the "ankle pivot questions" thread**

ok, now im wondering about the booties on the tech 8's. are they hot? do they attach to the boot? do you have to wear them? are the comfortable? do the provide alot of support?

i kind of like the sound of the "isolated" feel they provide. there were alot of gaerne supporters in my first thread and i hope the tech 8 can compete.

I haven't tried the Gaerne's.

I had a low end pair of Alpinestars before my (used) Tech 8s. When I first put on the Tech 8s, I could not believe the difference in ankle support. Compared to my old boots, it felt like my ankles were encased in steel - and the Tech 8s were already well broken in when I got them.

Are they hot? Well, it's a boot. They're all hot. I don't find them any better or worse than my old boots.

I suppose you could try the boot without the bootie, but I doubt it would fit very snugly.

CHR!S

Jun 30, 2006
robwbright said:
I suppose you could try the boot without the bootie, but I doubt it would fit very snugly.

so the bootie does not connect to the boot, its just something that comes with it?

and has anybody tried both the gaernes and the astars? i like the idea of the bootie alot and im interested to hear from somebody who likes the tech 8's better.

8PTKDX

Mar 3, 2003
No the bootie does not connect to the boot. I use to wear gaernes and when I switched to the astars* I felt a huge differnce! The astars* in my opinion are a way better and more comfortable boot. Thats just my $0.2. :cool:

RADRick

Registered
May 3, 2005
In case you missed my post and x-ray in this thread:
http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=136781&page=3

Broke my lower tib and fib coming up short on a long tabletop landing, one in which I did NOT crash. I did that while wearing Tech 8s. I can't say positively that the boots contributed, but I know I feel much more secure in the SG-10s than I do the AStars, especially now that I can put both boots on and try them together. I've also tried the Tech 10s and still feel the Gaernes are stiffer. Another consideration is that the Gaernes will remain stiff with age since the pivot is made of thick plastic, while the Astars will get softer with age since they are made of leather and thin plastic. I also feel that the properly designed bootie-less boot can wrap your leg better and tighter. The bootie on the Tech 8/10 is soft and has a small plastic insert on each side of your ankle. It doesn't add much in the way of stiffness, it's more of a convenience that allows you to remove the smelly boot for washing. When I really want some stiffness I simply wear a pair of 661 Pro Ankle braces. With the Gaernes I simply let the buckles out a few clicks, but on the Tech 8 I'm stuck with the bootie size and they're too tight to accomodate the braces.

YZ-212

Jan 8, 2003
I've had both as well and I wouldn't say that the alpine stars are a better boot. They both have their strengths but I will agree that the stars are a more comfortable boot.

CHR!S

Jun 30, 2006
what im really looking for is the boot with the most support and protection. i know that both will be comfortable, i would rather ride with the less comfortable boot that sit at home with a broken foot.

**should have put that in the original post :bang:

RADRick

Registered
May 3, 2005
CHR!S said:
what im really looking for is the boot with the most support and protection. i know that both will be comfortable, i would rather ride with the less comfortable boot that sit at home with a broken foot.
Let me just say that no boot can protect under all circumstances. Everybody's physiology is different. An impact that breaks one guy's leg may only cause a sprain on another regardless of the boot used. If the rider is doing things beyond his ability or has bad riding habits (like dabbing his toe in a turn instead of his heel), that will result in an injury faster than wearing a boot that isn't as stiff as another. And stiffening the ankle too much puts added stress on the knee joint, which isn't as strong and can be damaged more significantly. No boot is infallible, especially if it doesn't fit right or is worn improperly. Developing good riding skills will do more to limit injuries than depending on a boot design to save you in a crash or bad landing. While I now feel more comfortable in the Gaernes, my injury could probably have happened in any boot and is likely attributable more to something I did or didn't do and not to any deficiency of the boots I was wearing.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
CHR!S said:
how do you pronounce gaerne? "gern" "garnyay" :coocoo:

I think it's gar-nay as in the beginning of the word garbage, and as in the beginning of the word navel. Although sometimes I say gar-knee, like knee pads. Not sure what's "correct". :think:

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Chris - as I posted in the other "boot" thread that radrick linked to, I have worn both Tech 8's and SG-10's. Same with my husband, my best friend buko, and several other riding buddies.

We all believe the SG-10 is a much better boot.

I rate the SG-10 higher in comfort, protection, ankle support, sole durability, and buckle system. I really don't know what I would rate better on the Tech 8, really nothing. The Tech 8 booty is kinda annoying too, you can wash them a few times (yes, they are removable), but eventually, they fall apart.

Buko (DRN member) broke her ankle wearing Tech 8's last year. And when we looked at her Tech 8, which was maybe a year old, you could take the top half of the boot and practically fold it over side to side, because the ankle support, like radrick said, is basically leather. You can't "fold over" the ankle in the SG-10, because they have a stiff hard plastic ankle pivot support.

Top Bottom