Broken Clutch cable Guide on Crank Case :(

NODDY

May 30, 2001
I really messed up and snapped the Clutch cable guide (both sides) that hold the clutch cable to the crank case... Right where the cable meets the clutch lever above the sproket... What a bone-headed move on my part. I was trying to replace my clutch cable and stepped on the cable by mistake, snapping off the two sides of the retaining guide off the crank case.... Anyhow, can these be welded in place or is their a glue that will hold diecast aluminum??? I assume if it can be welded the whole crank has to come apart? If anyone has any suggestions or methods to fix this problem please let me know ASAP. I am tryin to avoid pullling the engine apart but, if that the only way... Please give me your thoughts... Thanks

NODDY

May 30, 2001
But the guide is actually part of the Crank case itself and not a separate piece... This is a 91' KDX 250.... I know aluminum cas be welded but, can die cast aluminum?

jdbrusch

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2001
I know JB weld two part epoxy can do some wonderful repairs but I would not want to have it let go when your riding and stuck on the trails.Welding would be the best choice but if you have the skill you maybe able to make up a small steel bracket that mounts to some of the case bolts,looks like from the breakdown that you could use the case bolt behind the cylinder to the top right ignition cover bolt,just make up a Z shaped(not exactly this shape but hope you know what I mean) bracket with a tube welded to it with a slot cut in it for the cable to fit thru or the two left cylinder bolts if they have enough thread left to mount it.Take a look at some of the bikes at some of the local shops,my 01wr250f has just a small bracket that mounts to a case bolt it might be able to modify it to work or one off another bike.

Last edited:

rethnal

~SPONSOR~
Jul 14, 2002
Yeah... keep it simple and use some fabricating. I don't think I would try the welding... Aluminum has to be very very clean to get a good weld on it, besides the heat is a BIG factor in warping your cases!

Top Bottom