keefbikes

Apr 16, 2007
I have the stock size tires on my 440. They are 21in by 3in. Will it screw things up if I put a smaller rim like a 18? I am 5'9'' ant the bike is to tall for me, I have to be on my tippys with the bike standing up perfect, I have to tip it to the side to plant my foot. I have made the rear shock about as soft as it will go to sink for me. Go ahead and poke fun at the short guy on a big bike and tell me to get a smaller bike but if there is another option I will take it, I like this bike. :coocoo:

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Softening the shock to make it shorter is a big mistake, There are shops out there that can shorten the suspension the correct way and the bike will still handle correctly, MX-Tech has a lot of experience with this.

keefbikes

Apr 16, 2007
It seems to ride ok, I am no extreme rider but I dont want to do anything that will make it dangeros. How do I set the shock back properly?

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
5'9 isn't exactly short. I'm 5'10 and I used to think MX bikes were tall. Now that I have some seat time, I find them quite comfortable and sometimes wish they were a tad taller.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Unless you have really long legs, most people cant plant two feet flat on the ground. You only have one on the ground while starting and if you need both feet flat on the ground while riding you're doin something wrong.

keefbikes

Apr 16, 2007
I am not riding with two on the ground but it would be nice if I didnt have to tip the bike so much to plant a foot. What tool do I use to measure the screw on the shock? What measurment should I start at, I am 145lbs. What affect does a soft shock have on handling?

May 10, 2007
_JOE_ said:
Unless you have really long legs, most people cant plant two feet flat on the ground. You only have one on the ground while starting and if you need both feet flat on the ground while riding you're doin something wrong.

or ur on a pit bike :nener:

you could have the seat shaved too

that will lower it a little.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
In answer to your question, I wouldn't switch front wheel to 18." That would be a very bad idea for handling. I'm sure someone, somewhere, has done it though...

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
So going to the smaller front wheel may have postive handling benefits.... for pavement. I hate to think what kind of headshake a supermoto bike might do on a whooped out trail. I also hate to think what would happen when you hit a rock you forgot to wheelie over with the smaller diameter wheel.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
Get the suspension lowered, shave the seat, maybe lower the subframe. These are the right ways to go about lowering the bike.

I don't think you should really need to shorten it up. I'm just shy of 5'9" and have no problem with full size bikes.

keefbikes

Apr 16, 2007
It is one of the tallest bikes I have ever come by. My cr250 was perfect, an old Kawi 125 I hads was shorter but this 440 even with my boots on that ad an extra inch to me if the bike is perfectly upright. I can plant about the first half inch of the bottom of the tow of my boot on each side.

iamdawalru5

Apr 26, 2006
76GMC1500 said:
Don't the supermoto guys do it?

I would say thats for carving on pavement though, but I don't know. You aren't short, but you are rather light for such a tall powerful bike. Like they said, I would go with less foam in the seat.

Top Bottom