Can't decide: 300EXC or 400 EXC or ???

BCR-Bob

Sponsoring Member
Mar 8, 2001
I've ridden/raced a 2000 520 EXC in the desert for a little over a year now and have had no engine related problems yet (knock on wood). If a person can do a ring job on a 2-stroke, then he or she will have no problem adjusting the valves on a 4-stroke. I believe that the choice between a 4 or a 2-stroke really just boils down to personal preferences. I can ride a 4-stroke longer and faster in a desert race than I can a 2-stroke, but thats me. If someone is looking to choose between the 2 bikes then they should ride them both and make up their own mind. Everyone is different.

Montana300

May 4, 2000
BCR-Bob brings up a good point, if I was going to do alot of desert type racing I would want the 4stroke for sure. My friends and I ride the Desert 100 near Ellensburg WA every year and although I gear my 300 up and very much enjoy the race, I know a thumper would be the hot ticket for going fast all day, with the least amount of energy expended. This race is our only pseudo desert event so I can't justify a bike switch.

One point that I have not seen raised here is the seemingly softer suspension on the RFS models. I haven't taken the liberty to adjust the susp. on my friends 520EXC, but as delivered I thought the fork needed some attention. Note, this riding is in area where there are 3rd thru top gear sections, followed by woods sections where you must drop to 1st, so fork dive is heavily tested.

This brings me to a question, are the spring rates different between the 2strokes and RFS models? Or is it just a weight issue?

Bill Hibbs

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 1999
We're just tired of women treating us like a peice of Meat. I hate that. You try to go out to a bar with your friends and women just keep walking up to you asking you: "you wanna dance", "Can I buy you a drink", "what time is it".... It just gets old after a while. Can't they see the ring on my finger? LongTime knows what I'm talking about... ;)

Just messin with ya Kalitude..

:scream:

Nverfastenuf

May 4, 2001
This topic could go on forever!!! BRC-Bob probably posted what would be the best advise. Ride both of them, each bike is excellent and I dont think I would let maint. be the determining factor on which one to purchase!! I have ridden many bikes, RFS & 2 strokes, and it is definitely a choice that is up to the individual. Tight woods and single track, desert, MX,SX, the spectrum is too broad to state any individual bike is the BEST. It goes back to the individual and what he or she gets the most GRINNNS;) out of. I know what would be the perfect solution! Buy one of each.:cool: :cool:

Nverfastenuf

May 4, 2001
Originally posted by BCR-Bob
I've ridden/raced a 2000 520 EXC in the desert for a little over a year now and have had no engine related problems yet (knock on wood). If a person can do a ring job on a 2-stroke, then he or she will have no problem adjusting the valves on a 4-stroke. I believe that the choice between a 4 or a 2-stroke really just boils down to personal preferences. I can ride a 4-stroke longer and faster in a desert race than I can a 2-stroke, but thats me. If someone is looking to choose between the 2 bikes then they should ride them both and make up their own mind. Everyone is different.
Hey BRC-Bob, how can you race a national when your in a tree? :p Then when you are out you dont get off the pilot jet.:confused: :think

BCR-Bob

Sponsoring Member
Mar 8, 2001
Originally posted by Nverfastenuf
Hey BRC-Bob, how can you race a national when your in a tree? :p Then when you are out you dont get off the pilot jet.:confused: :think
Nverfastenuf is changing his name to Dosntridnemor. And I have a very big pilot jet!;)

Nverfastenuf

May 4, 2001
Originally posted by BCR-Bob

Nverfastenuf is changing his name to Dosntridnemor. And I have a very big pilot jet!;)
I have to find someone to ride with that doesnt ride the obnoxious 520KTM. My littleYZ250 just cant handle the intimidation. (Even though it will pull it in the lower gears.:confused: :confused: )

Nverfastenuf

May 4, 2001
Hey BRC-Bob, lets get together and you can take that Bernina out and we can roost a little this weekend. Robert & Toni got there new bikes and want us to take them on the LOOP!!!:;) ;)

Bulldog

May 2, 2001
I have made my decision:KTM300 EXC

I went out today and rode both the 400 and 300 EXC. I rode for a few hours swapping bikes along the way. In the woods that I ride I set up a course to follow - fairly well know - about 6 miles long. Believe it or not the lap times in the woods were nearly identical regardless of the bike. So what was the deciding factor? It was two fold: starts and maintenance. I believe with the 300 I can get a better start (but not as good as with my CR). The 400 starts slower and to me that is a disadvantage. Maintenacne also plays a factor. A lot of unknowns to me with the 400. I feel more comfortable with the 2-Stroke. I cannot say enough about how great both of these bikes are. I wish I could get both. I appreciate everyones advice on this topic.

Thanks again,

Ralph Benhart :)

Bulldog

May 2, 2001
I have made my decision:KTM300 EXC

I went out today and rode both the 400 and 300 EXC. I rode for a few hours swapping bikes along the way. In the woods that I ride I set up a course to follow - fairly well know - about 6 miles long. Believe it or not the lap times in the woods were nearly identical regardless of the bike. So what was the deciding factor? It was two fold: starts and maintenance. I believe with the 300 I can get a better start (but not as good as with my CR). The 400 starts slower and to me that is a disadvantage. Maintenacne also plays a factor. A lot of unknowns to me with the 400. I feel more comfortable with the 2-Stroke. I cannot say enough about how great both of these bikes are. I wish I could get both. I plan on picking it up tomorrow from our local dealer.

I appreciate everyones advice on this topic.

Thanks again,

Ralph Benhart :)

Top Bottom