Car Dealership service centers

Neil Wig

Lifetime Sponsor
Body shops

Finding a reputable body shop is like finding a needle in a hay stack. They are out there, but the vast majority of the body shops I've dealt with are godawfull. They try to pass off shoddy work, work that they wouldn't accept on their vehicles, and act like your the a-hole for not accepting it. :silly:

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
I deal with a handful of body shops around here, and they're all very good. I have had some "production" oriented shops in the past, but I've managed to cull all of them from my client list. Some of them were awful. (Hint: Never pick up a car from a body shop when it's raining.) They know you won't inspect it closely in the rain.

The service departments get worse on a daily basis. Whaddaya mean, there's nothing wrong with it? "Could not duplicate problem"? The wheels are falling off!

Last edited:

KDX1

Mod Ban
Bad experience w/Toyota dealership

I bought a new 4runner limited 2 years ago and the driver's side seat which is leather has started to crack. I spoke with a service manager at the dealership where I live. I brought the 4runner down to the dealership for them to look at. Three people looked at it and said the cracking was due to "normal" wear. I for one don't believe that a 2 year old car should have cracking leather. I have meticulously maintained it and condition the leather regularly. I can't believe Toyota. I used to think that Toyota was great and that I would always have a high opinion of them, but that has since changed. FLAME Toyota!!!!!!!! I will now take my problem to Toyota's corporate office and I will get satisfaction. I didn't spend $35,000.00 for this to happen or this type of treatment.

00 KDX 200
Procircuit pipe & silencer
AMA
GNCC

Neil Wig

Lifetime Sponsor
The one good point with Toyota is that regardless of the dealerships opinion, the regional or national representitive has the power and drive to make it right. I doubt if they will leave you without satisfaction on your seat.

Stunt driving with rental cars!!! *cough* sorry, had to say that.
but, you know, it is fun.

Gary B.

Subscriber
KDX1 - a little advice about the seat. DON'T LOSE YOUR COOL. Be rational, and you'd probably be surprised at how far you get. Customers who turn into hotheads usually just get blown out the door without a second thought. At least that's what would happen if you came to my dealership. Remember the guys at the dealership didn't design or build your truck, they're just trying to (hopefully) do the best they can with the (probably very) limited resources they have. Just my two cents.:think

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
Re: Bad experience w/Toyota dealership

Originally posted by KDX1
I bought a new 4runner limited 2 years ago and the driver's side seat which is leather has started to crack.
There is a local upholstery shop here in B'ham that does 95% of the leather seats at the local Toyota dealership. They buy the seat covers as a kit, install them in brand new cars, and everybody marks them up 75%. The shop is always covered with new Hondas, Yotas, Nissans, etc. So your seats are (most likely) not even Toyota, but from a random leather seat cover manufacturer.

The advent of ABS has ruined the most fun thing to do in a rent-a-racer. Reverse 180s are impossible if you can't lock up the front wheels.

<DISCLAIMER> I have NEVER attempted the foregoing and would NEVER dream of abusing a rental car in any shape, form, or fashion. Honest!

Last edited:

KDX1

Mod Ban
Update on leather seats

After calling Toyota's corporate office, they took the appropriate information like the vin # and milage. The person I spoke with, was very nice and re assuring. However, he did tell me that seats are considered "normal wear" items. The information that was taken will be electronically submitted to the dealership that I went to on Sat. Upon my first visit to the dealership, I was cool and level headed the whole time. The last thing I want to do is go ballistic and ruffle someone's feathers. But I know that when I go back there for them to look at it a second time, they probably will not greet me with open arms just because I'm pushing the issue regarding the seats. I should be recieving a phone call from the dealership to schedule another appointment. I was told that an area representative may look at this problem too. I should know more sometime next week. I'l let everyone know how things turn out.
:D

00 KDX 200
Procircuit pipe & silencer
AMA
GNCC

bbbom

Subscriber
I love Car Dealership Service!!! ;)

My Ford dealer gave me a loaner car when they had to keep my F250 for some warranty work. I had to sign an agreement that said I would treat their car as my own. Okay, but I don't think it's gonna be pretty - there is a reason why all my vehicles are four wheel drive!

They weren't happy when I dropped it off two weeks later - it was a little uhhh dirty. My driveway gets a few mudholes when it rains and it was early springtime!!

Then we had the discussion about the stripped bolts on the F250's airfilter and THEY were the only ones that had serviced it. Oh no, WE didn't strip them, some other place must have. I finally decided it wasn't worth the effort to argue with an idiot (the old saying about wrestling in the mud with a pig came to mind) so I just left a nice 4wheel burnout across their service bay floor. The warranty was up anyways so, I won't be going back to them but they will remember ME!!! :p

Gary B.

Subscriber
bbbom - Boy! That'll show 'em who's the adult! I'll bet tears were shed after you left. Hope you don't have to go back there for ANYTHING. Most service managers have the power to extend warranties for another 2years/24,000 miles-no questions asked,but don't sweat it, I doubt anything will be done for you now. I'm sure that eighteen year old kid with the tatoos and chain drive wallet over at the tire store/franchise will be able to repair anything on your truck just like it says on the ads. BTW, It'll take about 3 minutes to wipe up those skid marks.

I don't mean to flame you so bad, it's just that I've worked on cars for many people like you and this strikes a raw nerve when these people come back some time later and act like my long - lost friend when they need something.

bbbom

Subscriber
Ha, flame away, don't worry about me. :cool: The only time I ever go to a Car Dealership is when the vehicle is under warranty and it's on THEIR dime. Overpriced and unreliable work is all I have ever been given from any dealer. I have plenty of good mechanics that I CAN rely on for the things that I don't do myself - one even has a shop directly across the street from my office and he does excellent work (most of it on my old snowplow truck).

In this case, the dealer was the ONLY place that had serviced my rig so when I discovered that the screws were stripped I KNEW who had done it and they lied outright to me.

This came down after they had kept my truck for two weeks because it would not go into gear at critical times, like on the boatramp or when I was trying to leave for work or take my kids home from the grocery store. Their suggestion was to have the Service Manager drive MY truck from work to home until he could get it to do what it had been doing. I asked how far this was and they told me it was 30 miles EACH WAY! I declined their offer because even though it is a very nice truck and I can understand he may enjoy driving it, the problem only happened when it was parked and driving it 60 miles a day was going to do NOTHING to make it happen again!

As for the skidmarks, they may have cleaned them up pretty quick but, I know it took a good long time to clean the loaner car. The tarnish on their reputation from me telling other people about the place isn't easily wiped clean either!

MOST service managers will NOT extend the warranty - they may have the power but they sure as heck don't do it. Do you know ANYBODY that has had this done for them? I sure don't and I know a lot of people that drive new rigs and have problems with their new rigs shortly after the warranty period.

In fact, when this truck was in the shop for the shift problem, it was almost off warranty. Just after I made the appointment for the problem the carwash had ripped the visor off the cab, denting the top of the cab and messing up the sunroof. It was supposed to be in the bodyshop two weeks after the appointment for the shift problem. Since they hadn't figured out what was causing the problem (after 2 weeks), I told them I'd get the bodywork done THEN they could have it back for the shift problem. The Service Manager told me that if I took the truck out the warranty was UP and the repair would be at MY expense! This was all before the burnout incident and I was very nice and undertanding up until THEN. Somehow, they miraculously figured out what was wrong the DAY that it was to go to the bodyshop - it is a very busy bodyshop and one of the top shops here in town.

As for you working on many cars for people like me, I doubt it! You know NOTHING about me. I ALWAYS pay my bill even when I know I've been screwed over (I just let other people know about what happened and don't go back) and I DO NOT ask for favors, only to be treated fairly.

I do treat people that do quality work with respect. I grew up in a family that makes a living off of mechanic work (and yes I pay them when they work on my stuff) and I do enough on my own stuff to know that some problems are difficult to diagnose and that other problems sometimes crop up after fixing one thing. I know people that expect too much from a mechanic, but that's not me.

BUT when I know that they caused the problem and they lie to me - THAT is the END! I could care less how they feel about me - I do make it a point to tell EVERYONE I know how bad their service is and I know more than one customer has been steered away from that dealer.

Don't worry GaryB, if you treat your customer's like this dealer, I wouldn't even pretend to be your friend for all the favors in the world! :eek: No hard feelings! :) :cool: