rshepher74

Aug 2, 2007
I have a 98 rm 250, and the stock carb has a sensor on the right side. It has 2 wires coming out. I put a carb in this bike that i had from a 98 yz 250 that does'nt have this sensor in the bike. It starts right up and seems to idle fine, and rev up good. Will not having that sensor plugged in hurt the engine? this sensor has a rubber tip on a plunger that goes in and out while the bike is running.
Also what is this sensor, and what does it do?

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
its prob part of the power jet system, i believe its mostly for start-up but dont remember the exact reason for them. As long as your jetted right I would think you wouldnt have any issues

rshepher74

Aug 2, 2007
Thanks, I ran it thru the gears, and it kept on cutting out at high rpms, so i made some carb adjustments, and notice that the clutch was adjusted to tight, so I adjusted it and that seemed to take care of the loss of power.

hot125mod

Jan 14, 2007
it is a powerjet solenoid and it lets more fuel flow about the same time the needle starts to lift up allowing for a stronger midrange. it has nothing to do with idle. on the newer carbs the pj is run off the tps and that is also how the rc valve on the cr 125 and 250 works.

rshepher74

Aug 2, 2007
will it hurt to put another carb in that does not have one? I put a keihin pwm 38 in it's place. Seems to be doing ok. I left the selenoid plugged in and tied it up out of the way.

hot125mod

Jan 14, 2007
sick 96 250 said:
its prob part of the power jet system, i believe its mostly for start-up but dont remember the exact reason for them. As long as your jetted right I would think you wouldnt have any issues

it has nothing to do with starting the bike. read what I said. :yikes:

Top Bottom