Central IL town bans dirt bikes and ATVs

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
East Peoria IL (I used to live there) recently banned the use of dirt bikes and ATVs for recreational use due to noise issues.  (Yes even on your OWN property)

What country do we live in??  Thank god for the AMA, they have gotten very involved.  I received an update email from them today.

Whats surprising is this is one of the more liberal towns as far as rules in the area.

The AMA has been very involved with the issue and has an update here:

http://www.ama-cycle.org/news/2003/peoriaban.asp

dead

Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Apr 28, 2003
Geez, there are people driving around that have stereo's louder than our bikes. Let's ban subwoofer's and tweeters. And heck, v8 cars with cams and performance exhuast. It's all too loud!

Mikeb

~SPONSOR~
Jun 8, 1999
And I bet its still OK to ride that obnoxiuosly loud straight pipe Harley up and down in front of the police dept and thats not too loud? Give me a break!

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I certainly don't agree with all of the regulation and I hope the AMA can get it overturned but if you want to blame someone, blame the guys that don't give a damn if their silencer need repacking, or that they love the sound of a loud bike, etc, etc, etc

jharmon

Aug 1, 2001
If they are going to start banning dirt bikes because of noise, then they better ban my neighbor from having any dogs. Noise is a relative word. What constitutes a bike from being too loud. Is it certain amount of decibles, or a certain amount of complaints from neighbors?

keith500r

Jul 27, 2001
I agree with RM_guy, we need to quiet our sport down. I love bikes to death but I cant stand to hear a bike with little or no exhaust, and the only thing worse than that is seeing the rider enjoy the noise, or the "added performace" if you can call it that. If you have a loud bike please consider doing something about it, before someone else does it for you.

IMO they are going way overboard in this case though..

Erick82

~SPONSOR~
Aug 30, 2002
The law was not reversed last night at the city council meeting, but a moritorium was put in place and the law will not be inforced. I live in the area and the AMA and the local ABATE chapters have jumped all over this, good work.

I think lawn mowers are the same as ATV and dirt bikes, If they are banned so should be lawn mowers.

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
Erick82, I live outside Morton. On the news they interviewed a lady that said if they ban bikes then she wanted weed eaters, mowers, cars ,trucks and anything else that makes noise. It was pretty funny.

Erick82

~SPONSOR~
Aug 30, 2002
I hope these people are not re-elected. I mean, if this is the way they deal with issues watch out, everything will be banned.

Offroadr, do you ride anywere locally, Peoria Area? I manely have been riding at ESPY park since I got a membership there, but I realy like riding at South Fork.

97 moto

Sep 11, 2000
We are going through the same problems in my small town in Wapella, Illinois former home of the US51 MX PARK. Their is one guy that moved into this town and is really pushing this issue. His main problem is the noise. He says he works hard all day long and does not want to come home and here the noise. Well the smart guy moved into a house right across the street from the railroad tracks (pretty quiet place to move to). He also rides a Harley. I went to a local Town meeting and tried to talk to the guy about compromising the issue and he is not budging at all. I also asked him if he hs heard of the AMA he was lost. I then said he you know they fight for your rights on that motorcycle and for ATV's , also for the right of you not to wear your helmet. He is a non helmet wearing rider.
What is America coming to. If one person does not like something we have to change everything for them. Wapella is going through the same thing that E.Peoria is.

Byron Stalter
USMC

Erick82

~SPONSOR~
Aug 30, 2002
I don't think one person should beable to have atv's outlawed in a community. Are you talking about reopening the track?

You can always hope he eats it on his Harley with-out a helmet, that will be the end of that.

97 moto

Sep 11, 2000
It is not about the track issues. The track had other issues for closing. It is the ban on ATV's and dirtbikes in the area and riding them in your yard...

MX GZR

Nov 8, 2001
The most complaints they had were about kids riding in the new subdivisions being built. East Peoria has a LOT of new construction going on. The thing is they already have laws concerning trespass and noise so this one was totally uncalled for. I tried to go to the town council meeting but it was full so I watched it on public access TV. It was very clear the council had discussed this before the meeting and agreed on their vote. They did NOT rescind the law but put a " moritorium" in effect until their committee can come up with a "compromise". We all need to watch this as it WILL affect all of us. Rockford IL. has already started to rewrite a law it rescinded to deal with the "problem". It WILL spread.

Top Bottom