nsxxtreme

Apr 18, 2006
I have a 98 CR80 my GF rides. The bike wouldn't go into nuetral unless the engine was off. So I decided to replace the springs in the shifting mechanism. I also took a look at the clutch basket. The bike shifted fine but would not go in nuetral.

The basket was notched up pretty good. I tried filing a way the notches but after putting it back together and looking at the slack I decided it was to far gone. So I bought a new clucth basket.

I purchased this basket. Anyone have experience with it and can provide any comments?

^^^ click on the word "this"

nsxxtreme

Apr 18, 2006
So I recieved this basket and it's a Moose racing basket.

Anyone have experience with them? The thing cost after all said and done about the same as buying a new OEM version. What I am concerened with is will I get what I paid for? Do these baskets last longer or about the same. I've never bought an aftermarket basket before.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
If they are made of the same material they will last about the same. There are some options with stainless fingers that obviously are much harder than aluminum so it will last longer. I'm sure it will work just fine.

nsxxtreme

Apr 18, 2006
Patman said:
If they are made of the same material they will last about the same. There are some options with stainless fingers that obviously are much harder than aluminum so it will last longer. I'm sure it will work just fine.
Well supposedly it's supposed to be aircraft grade aluminum.
The machine shop that pressed the center gear out and peened the bolts said the material was pretty damn strong.

OEM looks to be just cast aluminum. I also think I need one of these for my CR250 but would like to hear from others that have gone the aftermarket clutch basket route before I buy another one. It is more work to install one of these. Since you have to use the old parts off the oem clutch basket.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
It doesn't matter if it's "aircraft grade" or not if it's the same material it's the same hardness unless it has been treated such as case hardening steel. If the stocker is cast then it's different and will wear differently because it's a different material (poured vs. machined).

Top Bottom