clutch idling, do your 2strokes idle in gear?

ive got a kx125 and it doesnt idle in gear and the clutch doesnt always hold in low rpms,(if i want to stop i have to give the engine some good revs) is this the same for everyone or is there a problem?

Most likely the clutch basket and hub are notched where the fiber plates and drive plates sit. This causes them to want to be locked in position even when the clutch is released. Almost always the cause of a dragging clutch.

None of my 2 strokes have idled very well, if at all. In fact, that was one of the first things I noticed when I started my 450F for the first time- it idled!!!

What your 2-stroke is trying to tell you is "Rev me, or I'll die!" :)

hmm well im going to check out my basket tomorow and see if its got the grooves in it. ill try filing it out but with my luck ill have to buy a new basket

tell me if that works because mine wont idle in gear either. i have to keep reving it

YZThumper

Subscriber
Even on a brand new 2 smoker, the clutch will drag slightly. And, it's tough to get them to idle in gear. All my 2 smokers acted that way. Now if the clutch gets really grabby while disengaged (lever in), then you've got some grooves in your clutch basket.

clutch basket appears to be ok, ill mess with the freeplay some more tomorow, most will grab and die but for some reason mine is particularly bad, i cant figure out why either.

NM_KDX200 said:
None of my 2 strokes have idled very well, if at all. In fact, that was one of the first things I noticed when I started my 450F for the first time- it idled!!!

What your 2-stroke is trying to tell you is "Rev me, or I'll die!" :)
yeah thats what i thought with my old 2 strokes then i got a Honda cr250 that was 10 years old and it never dies... clutch in or in neutral it dose not idle to high

is there any way that the bike can be set to not die if the clutch is pulled and is idling? Im trying to use this as a hill climber and trails but if you get stopped it gets tricky.

dirtbike2244 said:
is there any way that the bike can be set to not die if the clutch is pulled and is idling? Im trying to use this as a hill climber and trails but if you get stopped it gets tricky.
my idle dosent die when i put it into gear. Maybe as he said set the idle higher