Clutch problems...need help ASAP...

At0m1c FuSi0n

Dec 3, 2000
Ok...i just got my KDX all back togather and everything seems good except one thing the clutch doesnt seem to be engaing all the way. The bike will drive and everything but when the bike is off and i have it in gear and hold the clutch in i cant move it at all like you normaly would (like it moves when its in neutral). I have no idea why this would be happening. Iam pretty shure i have the cable (which is pretty new) adjusted right and i ddint real take the clutch apart just took the cover off and replaced the gasket. Does anyone have any idea why this would be happening, there where no problems or sings that the clutch was going before i striped the bike for the winter to paint the frame. Any advice/info would be appreciated.

foxracer2001

Mar 30, 2001
over the winter i took my bike apart to. i got it back togeather and started it up. thern i didnt go anywere. i was mad because i wasnted to go rideing. it took me a while to figure it out but i noticed that the clutch cable wasnt seated right on the guide that holdes it in place.I then lossened off the cable and place it correctly. i admit. i was dumb but that might be your prob to. Before you take your bike apart have a good look for any obstrctions of the cable. it might be pinched or something. it will save you alot of time to have a god look before takeing it apart

trips67

Nov 6, 2000
Good question. I just rebuilt my '96, and fired it for the first time tonight. 3 kicks, now I just need the weather to cooperate. I was going to fire it last night, but I noticed the same thing. I couldn't roll it last night with the clutch pulled while in gear either. I put off starting it untill I talked to a friend of mine at work today. He also rides a kdx. He said that with a cold bike this is normal, and to just make sure I had the clutch adjusted right. I adjusted per the manual and the nickel method. Once fired the clutch operated normal, so I assume he was correct.

dhoward

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 7, 2000
Yup, they're really hard to roll in gear with the clutch pulled in. Once they warm up they're a little easier.
One of lifes little mysteries ;)

------------------
Dan
'98 KDX 200
St. Louis, MO

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by trips67:
... and to just make sure I had the clutch adjusted right. I adjusted per the manual and the nickel method...

Ok, I'll bite: what's the nickel method?

- Ben
(soon to be rebuilding my clutch).

------------------
96 KDX 200

mwaterski

Dec 21, 1999
The nickel method is used to set the play in your clutch from the perch to the lever. I place a nickel between them and it gives the proper spacing.

At0m1c FuSi0n

Dec 3, 2000
Anyone else have anything to add?...I still cant figure out what it is?..

------------------
At0m1c Fu$i0n
-=My SuMMeR RiDe=-
RiDe---> 1992 KDX 200
WaNt---> 2001 KDX 220 =)

-=My WiNtEr RiDe=-
RiDe---> 1996 Formual 583
WaNt---> 2001 MxZ 440

At0m1c FuSi0n

Dec 3, 2000

------------------
At0m1c Fu$i0n
-=My SuMMeR RiDe=-
RiDe---> 1992 KDX 200
WaNt---> 2001 KDX 220 =)

-=My WiNtEr RiDe=-
WaNt---> 2001 MxZ 440

At0m1c FuSi0n

Dec 3, 2000
ANYONE...? =( iam beggin ya =)...

------------------
At0m1c Fu$i0n
-=My SuMMeR RiDe=-
RiDe---> 1992 KDX 200
WaNt---> 2001 KDX 220 =)

-=My WiNtEr RiDe=-
WaNt---> 2001 MxZ 440

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
If you had taken your clutch apart, I’d suspect that you installed new friction plates without soaking them in motor oil first. But if you did not do anything other that take the cover off, then maybe there's a problem with the actuator cam some other problem like that. I’d say it’s time to pull the cover off again and have a look around.

------------------
96 KDX 200
(soon to be a 225, or else a bunch of expensive parts scattered all over the trail...)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom