Clutch Replacement

I am going to be replacing the clutch on a 96 kdx 200 any suggestions on the best place to order it Who has the best prices? what kind is best? Do i have to replace the clutch basket too? what other gaskets etc. should i order and what else needs to be replaced once i open this puppy up? Sure would hate to get knee deep in this project and not have ordered all the parts i needed...Down time must be at a minimum?????:think

Last edited:
Cover gasket, springs, fibers are all you need if all else is well.

You won't save big $$ anywhere.

Call Sage or Fredette.

MADisher

Grand Data Poohbah
EBC makes a clutch kit, with springs, fibers and new steel rings. I ordered mine from RockeyMountain on Tues, got it on thurs.

I'm going to install it tonight I think.

I'll take photos, and add another 'how-to' on my web site. It's really not bad at all, and you might be able to get away w/o the gasket if yours comes off in one piece. I've had mine apart 3 times now. 2 times after the shift return spring broke looking for it and another when I didn't torq the basket down and it came loose. (Your clutch just stops working then :().

-MD

Will need Flywheel holder

Madisher
I just performed my first clutch replacment. I have a 95 KDX 200. I order the EBC DRC Kit $75 from Bob's. Couple words of advice. 1. You will need something to hold the flywheel. I made the tool described on the just KDX site (cost $4.00) and is effective. 2. Should have torque wrench. 3. Be careful when you put the ignition cover back on. The manual suggest you torque the bolts to 78 inch pound I followed this advice and cracked the cover at all the bolt holes. I'am now out another $60 because I order an aluminum Boyesen Cover to replace the plastic stock. 4. Oil down the plates before you install. Good luck

MADisher

Grand Data Poohbah
Yup, been there done that.

I don't take the ignition off. I slap it in a tall gear and stand on the rear brake. I can get the main bolt torqued that way. I did mine too.

Didn't have time to ride it, will try it out tomorrow.

BTW, what is the purpose of pre-wetting the fibers ? I read about another kit that claimed you didn't need to do it with thiers.

1/4 of the basket should be sitting in oil, so I figure if you give it a couple kicks and let it warm up in neutral you'd be fine. Perhaps I'll try that next time.

-MD
photos of my adventure below

Last edited:

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
I like to disassemble first !

nice to know what parts that are really needed first!

MADisher

Grand Data Poohbah
Good point. Though if you know you need a clutch (which I did in my case) because of previous dissasembles... :D

I think it's time I got a new cable too. Even with a new clutch it needed a little too much adjusting for my liking.

-MD