KJV_Walt

Jun 28, 2001
Trying to put a Fastline CR brake routing on my YZ426. Can't you just use the stock fork guards without modifing them (bend the brake line from there to the caliper). I also read in an earlier post that CR125 fork guards will fit on a YZ since both are Kayaba forks. I think RC did this when he went to the CR style brake routing on his KX.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Not sure but if the mounts are the same I don't see why not.

yz_387

Jun 6, 2001
You can't just use the stock fork guards because all that is on them is a guid to keep the line from hitting the front wheel, the actual clamp is on the bottom of the fork. With the new routing you will no longer be using the stock clamp so you need a new clamping location. I modified my stock guards by adding a clamp to where the stock guides are located. It may also work to use the CR fork guards, but I don't know. You cal also buy carbon fiber guards and a mount kit from DSP but that will set you back about $125. Whatever method you use, the increase in braking performance is well worth it.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Originally posted by yz_387
Whatever method you use, the increase in braking performance is well worth it.

:think Are you saying that the routing of the hydraulic hose CR style increases braking performance. The hose routing alone?

yz_387

Jun 6, 2001
The increased performance of the fastline is twofold. 1. The CR routing allows the hose to be considerably shorter. 2. The fastline is braded and therefore expands less. These two elements combined makes for a vastly improved front brake feel.

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
DSP has 250 yz to cr fork guards

on back order.
Surf and turf racing sells the clamp kit. 20 bucks...
I tried cr fork guards but the mounting points are different.
Post conversion feel on a 01 wr is 50% better, and the strait up routing bleeds easier.

J.B.426

~SPONSOR~
Mar 20, 2000
You can cut one of the existing tabs at the top of the fork guard so it is straight. Then bolt the stock hose clamp from the bottom to this tab and run your new brake hose through it. You will only be able to get one bolt through the plastic tab but use the other bolt as well. Someone was using this setup and said it worked good.

scotts250

Jul 30, 2001
Honda brake line routing...

Apparently the other bike MFG's would like to route the brake line like Honda but Honda patented either the routing or mouting location or both.
Doing the mod after the fact doesn't violate the patent.
Scott

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Re: Honda brake line routing...

Originally posted by scotts250

Doing the mod after the fact doesn't violate the patent.
Scott

Correct

yz_387

Jun 6, 2001
Originally posted by Homer88
Can't you just use cable tie to guide it along the fork down to the brake caliper?

Its not that simple. The new routing eliminates the clamp so the hose is still guided along the right path, but there is nothing to hold it firmly to the bottom fork leg. If no clamp is added, the hose is free to flex where it raps around the lower fork leg. We have all seen pictures where a rider is bottoming his forks and the front brake hose is pushed up above the handlebars, well without the clamp, this would not happen, and instead the hose can flex right into the spokes of the front wheel.

FMX_novice

Jan 5, 2001
On my 1995 cr125 when i reassembled the clamp something didnt seem right, the brake cable sometimes breaks free of it and rubs against the wheel. I push it back in and there isnt any noticeable wear on the cable... yet. Does anyone have a picture of the brake cable clamp on a 1995 fork guard?

Top Bottom