tosubrock

Jul 30, 2002
hey everyone,
I am using a cr250 engine to build a hot rod scooter ala www.lambrettalaboratory.co.uk . I have a line on a 2000 cr250 engine with pipe, carb and rad for $500 USD. The engine is seized for unknown reasons but this is a history. owner was riding and busted a piston skirt and from what I understand that is fairly common with the stock piston... he replaced the piston did NOT rehone or rebore and broke it in again for 5 hours of riding... he took it to the track and after 1.5 laps it seized again. he said he was going over a jump, felt a power loss and by the time he landed the engine was stuck and he hasn't been able to kickstart it since. what I am wondering is if you would go for it or walk away. the cheapest engine I have seen new is $1900... also let me know any questions you might ask if you were going into this deal. let me know if you want any info from me too.

thanks
Ian

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
at $500 its a deal with pipe electrics and carb, sounds like he didnt run it in properly and when the piston expanded he got a heat seize. I would bet a rebore, replate and then new piston would get it working.

bit of a waste on a lambretta though!:p

tosubrock

Jul 30, 2002
If I actually do build this bike it will be one of the fastest in north america!! 110mph on 10 inch wheels I cant wait! ;) PS you are the first motorcycle guy I know that actually knows what a lambretta is
Ian

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
Well I woudln't know what it is worth to you but ask the guy if you can take the cylinder off and take a look . Possible that a piece of the broken piston siezed up the bottom end. When you can actually see what is seized take a look at what it would cost to repair it. And then you will have to figure it out for youreself whether its worth it. 500$ for a complete not running engine might be worth it someone who had a transmision shatter and break the engine cases but I wouldn't know what it is worth to you.

tosubrock

Jul 30, 2002
yeah I asked him whether it seized with power loss or with a crunch and he said he felt a power loss before a jump but couldn't stop in time and when he pulled off to the side it was stuck. I talked to my local shop and they said it would be around $600 for a top end replating new piston kit, pull apart the crank and rebalance it and crack the bottom end and inspect all the bottom end gear and bearings and junk and install a lighting coil. sounds pretty fair to me but I'm new to the cr250. I might just walk unless I can see to cylinder.
Ian

evenslower

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Nov 7, 2001
I don't know if I'd part with that much cash for a pandora's box of problems. The CR250 motor was basically the same from 93-2001. There were a few changes, clutch, water pump, and porting but the bottom end, cylinder, powervalve were the same. I'd think you could find an engine for less than $1000. If not, buy a whole bike for a little more and part out the chassis. Have you checked ebay? There's usually a complete engine or two on there.

Good luck, do you plan on beefing up the brakes on that thing? I would want rotors as big as the wheels on a lambretta. If I'm trying to go that fast.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
PS you are the first motorcycle guy I know that actually knows what a lambretta is

dude, born in the UK...say no more!

at $500 with all the stuff, you can go wrong. its ok buying an engine but its the carb and electrics that will cost you!

tosubrock

Jul 30, 2002
they race at willow spring in califonia too, american scooter racing association(asra) and mid-american scooter sport (mass) pretty f'ing cool. there are some 135cc bikes that can pull a mean 110mph. the bike I'm building will have a dual outboard disc brake and a rear disc so it should be more than adequate for stopping.. maybe I can do endo's. good to know about the motor similarities tho.. it helps broaden the search a little. thanks for the help everyone.
Ian

whyz

~SPONSOR~
Nov 18, 2001
I think the clip pos. was too lean. 1st pos. Never again.
Anyway he said the noise sounded like something was in the silencer and pulled off the track and he killed it.Then he said that he tried to kick it softly and he said it went down,but when he tried to kick it again it didn't move at all. He said it was in 3rd. I can shift the gears,but can't kick it over.
If it's only the piston thats stuck,would you guys go for the total bottom end rebuild? Crank bearings,seals ect? It's the 01YZ125.
When the piston is stuck in the cyl. How do you get it out?
Thanks... :|
It'll be going to :worship: EG,
but I just wanted to know.

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
Those Hondos cases are pretty tight : you should check them for cracks at the crank area because when the pistons break they get peices wedged in between the crank and the case and it cracks them . That little scooter will be radical . Also if you dont want that motor combo Ill buy it for $500. Cheers DEAN

ochster

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 11, 2000
Basket cases can be spendy. I'm in the middle of one right know, same thing, multiple seizures. When I tore it down the center cases had been siliconed over some fractures in the casting. The final seizure took part of the skirt around the crank and blew a hole into the gear box. The bike was baught without being inspected...spendy. My cost on the center cases was near $500, not including piston, crank, gaskets, etc.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom