Kx Steve H

May 1, 2002
me and my son went to planet extreme[old amago track]on saturday.
we werent there every long when i caught the lip of a double-double section and i flew over the handle bars hitting my shoulder first then landing on my back.
i now have a broken clavicle [collar bone] and a broken [chipped]humerus [arm].
im out of commission for at least eight weeks. they thought surgery might be needed at first but are going to see if the humorous will heal on it's own, i will know in four weeks, my first checkup.

i hear braxton broke his wrist at the el cajon track?? how's he doing??

Tree

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 26, 2000
Sorry to hear that Steve! :( The good news is you did it in the begining of summer so you should be healed up for when we can go back out to Ocotillo or Dirt Week.

Braxton's doing pretty good he goes back in to see the Dr. on june 30th to see how it's healing and hopefully get a smaller cast. Those tracks are a Killer, maybe we ought to stick to the trails. Which double did you go down on?

dingoe

Feb 13, 2003
Sorry to hear that Steve, If you ask me they need to do away with that section, That use to be such a fun track. I feel better now about wimping out on that section this past Friday. With my luck, I'd be seeing the doctor too. Plus my boys are to young to drive the van home, let alone load all of the bikes and gear.

Hope you feel better soon and like Tree said, it's summer so you want miss much.

tnrider

Sponsoring Member
Jun 8, 2003
Hi Steve,

A broken humerous is not funny (as my kids say)... :ugg:

Avoid surgery if you can. I broke my humerous back in March and they put a rod in (titanium :cool: ) to hold the pieces together - so I did not have much choice. I am still recovering from the surgery - the bone is healed but now must deal with the slices through muscle and a somewhat frozen shoulder due to the arm's reaction to the trama of surgery. 3-months post-surgery as of tomorrow...

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
Ouch! :uh: Hope you don't need surgery.

At least it didn't happen during the good riding months.

oldandslo

Aug 29, 2001
Sorry to hear about your injury. Tracks scare me. I have never been on one. Whenever I here about injuries it is almost always on a track.

Hope you have a quick recoverey.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Ouch, that hurts, sorry to hear it. Hope you heal up fast!!

2strok4fun

Apr 6, 2002
That sux,

Check page 7 of the Kennedy Meadows thread, your name is on the list, so there is no getting out of it...... oh well, get well soon.

Boodac

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2001
Been there done that Steve. I waited for almost 6 weeks only to find out I had to have surgery anyways. One metal plate and a scar later Im finally back to riding. :| Its about a 4-6 month heal time for us old guys, so dont be in a hurry.
Heal up and give it hell when you get back to 100% :yeehaw:

Kx Steve H

May 1, 2002
Its about a 4-6 month heal time for us old guys

man! didnt want to hear that! was hoping for 8 weeks, that will put me right back on schedle for the desert :yeehaw:

thanks for all the support :cool: it's good to know theres riding after injury.

i was thinking of making little boken bone stickers for the bike,you know like kill flags :laugh: that way everyone knows to stay way! i'll need three strickers for my offroad career

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000

socaltrlrdr

May 8, 2001
Steve, Good luck on the healing process. I am two weks into post op. of a broken humerus(two places) and a shattered proximal humerus(the ball on top of the humerus). one plate and fourteen screws, very painful!!! The important thing is to get the shoulder moving so you don't develop frozen shoulder.....I started doing therapy in a swimming pool yesterday and it immediately felt better!

There are better days ahead.....stay positive!!!

fish525

Jun 6, 2004
well steve i had my shoulder cut on wednesday and let me tell ya it all ready feels better the doc told me lots of ice and start move it as soon as possible so take your time and heal up so we can ride together again remember lots of 12 oz curls

TwistNShout

Nov 19, 2003
Kx Steve H said:
we werent there every long when i caught the lip of a double-double section and i flew over the handle bars hitting my shoulder first then landing on my back.
i now have a broken clavicle [collar bone] and a broken [chipped]humerus [arm].
im out of commission for at least eight weeks. they thought surgery might be needed at first but are going to see if the humorous will heal on it's own, i will know in four weeks, my first checkup.
Sorry to hear about your injuries & I do hope you don't need surgery b/c that will definitely extend the healing process. I am currently on the mend from a broken arm, wrist & coccyx. I had to have surgery, a titanic plate and screws in the arm & pins in the wrist.

Why is it, it seems like the worst of injuries always happen when you first get to the track? The worst part of my injuries is that it happened on the first day of a two-week riding excursion that we were going on, dooooh! We were going to spend one weekend at one track, then a couple days in the dez, then to another track for another race.....foiled my plans, dang it! :bang:

Good luck, and do keep us updated on your progress.

TwistNShout

Nov 19, 2003
Boodac said:
Man we are all starting to sound like a bunch of broken down old guys. Steve, just remeber "chicks dig scars"!
.....and broken down chicks. Never thought about if guys dig scars :p

On a good note, my injuries happened approximately four months ago and against my doctor's orders :nener: I have done one dez ride :ride: and one track ride already. My first ride was approximately two months after surgery. It was pretty swollen for a while after that, but then it felt better than before. :yeehaw: The more you use it, the faster it will heal.

Top Bottom