iridesx164

Jun 14, 2002
I was a decent novice rider in motocross, and on fathers day I had a bad crash, i was in a coma for a few days, had herniated disk's, and I want to slowly and carefully get back into the sport that I love so much. One of my friends has a ttr 125 with a bbr 150 kit in it. I was wanting to get a new bike to have fun on. I was wondering what would be better (crf 150 or ttr 125), I want to be able to stay up with my friend, and don't want to spen too much. Also I am a tall and lankey 6'4"ish 17y.o. so the more room would be better.

Can you help?? please??

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
At your size i would suggest a used xr250 or KDX.  Both could be ridden easily and picked up for relatively low $$.

Porstala F9

Jul 30, 2003
Originally posted by iridesx164
I was a decent novice rider in motocross, and on fathers day I had a bad crash, i was in a coma for a few days, had herniated disk's, and I want to slowly and carefully get back into the sport that I love so much. One of my friends has a ttr 125 with a bbr 150 kit in it. I was wanting to get a new bike to have fun on. I was wondering what would be better (crf 150 or ttr 125), I want to be able to stay up with my friend, and don't want to spen too much. Also I am a tall and lankey 6'4"ish 17y.o. so the more room would be better.

Can you help?? please??

I would say the honda crf for a few reasons:

1) honda has the best reputation for making the most bulletproof 4 strokes out there. i dropped a honda xr straight down a 20 foot hill climb, it slid all the way down, and i let it rest for 5 minutes, started it on the third kick and was off riding again.

2) the crf 150 is more powerful than the ttr-125.

also: at that height you are gonna be pretty dam cramped on a little bike like that. why not look at a crf 230? or maybe what i suggest a 2-stroke kawasaki kdx 200?

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
What terrian are you riding?

2 stroke-
-the KDX isn't hard to ride and is good for trails and fun riding.

-the KTM EXC's are bikes for trails with more torque-like a KDX but nicer, more competitive, and expensive(new) than the KDX

-the KTM MXC's are more for desert/baja racing-OK trail bike

4 stroke-
-the CRF/XR is a desert racing/trail bike- solid bike and when I say solid you can drop it from a cliff(won't help anything though) but solid comes with weight(4 stroke is also associated with weight)-has lots of torque

-the WR(not XT or TTR)is a trail/track bike- a good bike that is more competetitive than others but some say it doesn't handle in rough riding. But you can ride it on a track-has torque and some top end

-the DRZ/KLX are cow trail bikes(street legal bikes for dirt roads and commuting) In other words powerful street bikes with knobbies and suspension. Weight included.

Will you be racing MX any more?

Bet On Red

Aug 11, 2003
if you were a novice rider in motorcross wouldnt you already know the answers to your questions?
sorry about your crash... stay safe!

my choice would be the crf230

iridesx164

Jun 14, 2002
i have a sx125 now as my screen name might suggest. I rode it the other day and even though it's a 125 it felt way 2 fast for me to be safe on. I wanted to get a little pit bike/playbike to "relearn" on, and also to ride with my friend on a ttr-150. I beleve that I will be riding (not racing) on the ice, and a little in the woods, and maybe a little on my mx track that I have to share with the horses. I wanted to go with somthing that has a less power than my sx, but the same as if not more than my friends tt-r 150, I think im kinda leaning twards the crf.........

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
You need someting bigger than a 125 hieghth wise and power if you ask me. I would try to stick to a 2 stroke cuz they're not hard to ride but you wouldn't have to get a different bike if you ever want more power. You could ride a 250 if you wanted to. Do you condsider this the end of you racing career? What I mean is are you going to put around for the rest of your riding days on a XR230(thats what it is, its nothing simular to a CR250F)? Your only 17 and my dad had a KX250 until he was 35. I say "relearn" and get used to riding again on your SX and then see how you feel unless you've got all the money in the world to spend and you can buy a bike every 2 years. I think you'll be sick of a 230 before 2 years if you were a novice MX rider.

I don't know what its like because I've never been seriously injured. Take it easy.

TwoStroker

iridesx164

Jun 14, 2002
Thanks for all of the advise, I just wanted a bike to "re-learn" on and I plan on keeping, and/or replacing my KTM. I just wanted to get a play bike, pit bike kinda thing to regroup and see how the riding thing goes. I loved it so much, I want to get back in, but i just learned to walk again 3 months ago..........

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
Yeah at least get a 230 instead of a 150. But thats putting enough wieght on a brand new leg. You might want electric start if you don't plan on kicking a bike. Just remember if your going to stick with this bike no racing, jumping, or enduros. Basicly no hard riding. I would look at KTM because I believe they have some versitile bikes w/ electric start that arn't to heavy. I don't know because they make so many versions. Theres 200, 250, and 300 EXC's and MXC's. Surly one has the E-botton. Do a search(and maybe I will just to find out).

Noa

Jul 25, 2003
Yeah a crf 230 sounds like a good bike for you. I think you'll get tired of a 4 stroke 125 or 150 pretty soon, even with your injuries. My friend's first bike was a ttr 125 and he wanted a new bike after a couple months. Good luck and take it easy.

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
I found some literature and none of the EXC's(except the 4 strokes-450 and 520) had E-start. But the KDX and over all 2 strokes(besides a KX500) are easy to kick.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Hi Iride:
FIrst let me congratulate you on your OUTSTANDING come back from your injuries!! Welcome back! Extreme injuries take extreme measures to overcome - I really appreciate your openess about your current "limitations" and not wanting to jump right back into the "thick of things". That old saying about "getting right back on the horse after being thrown off" doesn't alsways apply - pretty hard to do when your in a coma :( !! I think parking your SX and buying a smaller "whippable" bike is not a bad way to go. However, the comment you made about "keeping up" with your buddy denotes the fact that you are really not ready to give up on the "competetive" side of riding, which is cool. But be forewarned, you can get hurt just as bad on a slow putzy bike as you can on a 200 mph rocket!! What it all comes down to is throttle control .... That being said, maybe try riding your SX as a "play" bike wouldnt be a bad idea.. Try taking it out and riding ALONE to give yourself time to reacclumate..
Just some thoughts.
Woodsy

Top Bottom