ssuperbike

Dec 5, 2000
I ride woods. Harescrambles and enduro. I am 230 lbs, I can usualy take top 3 in B-fourstroke. I currently ride a big bore 426. Due to gearing changes the YZ 450 is out. That leaves these three. 250F has enough to pull me and is light and fun. The Crf is light and fun but I do not know how it will like what I intend to do to it. The WR 450 is a great choice but it is heavy. I like the KYB suspention as I can get it to work awesome. What do you guys think? KTM is out due to rear suspension issues and price. I am thinking the WR 450 is the logical choice. What is the best to for the job I intend? ----Mike

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
HI Super: You are asking a really good question!! IMHO because you have aquired the Yamaha "feel" there will be a longer "learning curve" if you go with the Honda. It may take you 3 days of riding instead of 1 if you went with another Yammie (seriously - that CRF is that magical!). If I were you I would get the Honda, work a deal on the installation of the WR kit as part of the purchase (essential for Enduro work) and purchase the oversize oil tank for it (they just dont hold enough oil for LONG/HARD/HOT Hare Scrambling)!
I know it sounds like a lot of extra work/money but thats what I would do!
Woodsy

ssuperbike

Dec 5, 2000
I am noy even worried about getting used to it. I am more worried about suspension. I have the '00426 now and it really handles well. If I get all the off road stuff on the honda it will wiegh close to the same ast the WR? I sat on the Honda a College bike shop and really liked the feel. Oil tank? I never thought of that. How much does the Honda hold? ---Mike

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Shoot if thats all your worried about bite right into a Honda! If you have been riding Yamaha you know all about their harsh mid to bottom (not as bad as KTM) suspention - Honda has taken ALL the stickies out of this issue and REALLY got it together! YOu will be shocked at how smooth it is!
The crankcse on the CRF holds 3/4 quart. 4 strokers "naturally" breath a little oil and this moderatly small oil resevoir , in my opinion, just isnt enough for the useage you are talking about. Go to Bajadesign and see what they have come up with to remedie this - really nice idea!
Good Luck
Woodsy

hoov165x

May 31, 2002
The issue I would consider and the one that ssuperbike seems to be concerned about is suspension. Stock or modified the Showa Twin Chamber fork is more difficult to dial in for offroad use than KYB. While the Showa is a good fork it is EXTREMELY sensitive to outer chamber oil level as well as being a bitch to work on compared to the KYB (spring changes, oil level adjustments, etc). This has never been much of an issue for me on a MX track but offroad it can make chassis setup more difficult as the Honda is more sensitive to chassis setup than other bikes. Just my 2 cents.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Coleman: The YZF is a four speed and the WR is a 5.

I have never ventured into the "suspention" rebuild/set-up world. If what is being said is true then I would definitly consider the WR! Perhaps another thread asking specifics about other riders experiences setting up their suspention would be in-order guys (not that the previous writer doesnt know because he writes like he knows what he is talking about). I can say this though about the Honda compared to my 02 WR, it has WAY better suspention in EVERY way! But then again, I never played with either bike's internals (lots of sag setting, clicker adjusting but NO internal knowledge!).
Woodsy

ssuperbike

Dec 5, 2000
Well, I think the WR 450 makes the most sense. The KYB stuff with a bit of valving will blow the Showa stuff out of the water. It will take a couple rides to get it dialed. I would go with the KTM but the PDS suspension is really sensitive to the spring preload. Just to much messing around. Yamaha seems to have the bet package. I can just strip the wr down. I bet an exaust and different headlight will save 7-10 lbs. What do you think?

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Sounds to me like you know what you want - it dont get no better then that!
Woodsy

Top Bottom