Telemaqq

Sep 5, 2003
I've been looking at a crf150 honda, im 15 about 5'8 130 lbs, was wondering if this is the bike to get, a guy at a near dirtbike shop (the owner) said this is the one i should get, i can easily handle xr100's and i have a little suzuki 80 that i mess around on, wheelinin with it and such, just wanted your guys's input on wut you think of the crf150 and if its the right size for me or not. thanx for the help!

Telemaqq

Sep 5, 2003
i shouldnt say im hte master of the xr100, i have never jumped ne bikes, i just kind aride around right now, looking to get more into it with the crf150, unless you guys think that bikeisnt big enough, i was also wondering how it competes against the cr125, faster slower, still wondering if i should get the crf230, seems kinda big, but how do i know when its big, on the crf150, if im sitting on the seat, i can stretch my legs and almost get my heals on the ground, remember thats a stretch, so all my weight is on the seaet while i do that, thanx again, any input is apreciated

Bet On Red

Aug 11, 2003
you're about 2-3 inches taller than I. I weight 155 pounds.

Here's a little story. I wanted a 2 stroke bike. Dad kept pressuring me to get a 4 stroke. Finally end up getting the crf230f. One week later my dad goes out and buys himself the cr125. We go riding and he cant handle it. (mostly in the sand) he says it's too much work. *popping in the clutch rev'n, getting in the powerband etc* So now he rides the crf230.

On the crf230 i feel very comfortable height wise. I can place both feet on the ground. (cannot flat foot it though) On the cr125 I cant reach the ground AT ALL. Unless i slide off to one side, if i do that then the bike starts to tip. Basically it's all choice. I've gotten used to the height deal. I usually find a rock, or a little ledge to rest my foot on while riding. Now riding in the dunes with that bike is something i havent done.

I'm almost 100% sure that you will outgrow the crf125 in about a month. There's really no power and it weighs quite a bit. The crf230 on the other hand is a bit more power. It has more of the low end torque. Not a jerky type torque.
When it boils down to it... depends on what type of riding you're going to do.

I would not get the crf125. If anything i'd get the 230.

The cr125 will smoke the crf125 and the 230 like butter. But when it comes to tight trails and putting around, the crf's are much better.

fender92883

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 26, 2002
I'd say that the CRF150 has too little power and too much weight. I'd think that at 5'8" it would also be a bit short for you...it's short for me and I'm 5'5". I'd say that the CRF230 would be a much better choice for several reasons. You don't need to be flat-footed with both feet, especially if you're still growing. I think that you would outgrow the 150 in skill AND size within a year. I have an XR200 and I outgrew it--skillwise, that is; I haven't gotten taller in a couple of years--within a year after I bought it. Now I'm looking to buy a bigger bike. It's a bit of a pain, especially if you're tight on money.

I doubt that the CRF230 will have too much power for you, and even though it does have a lot more power than you're accustomed to, I'm sure that you'd get the hang of it pretty quickly. Besides, the CRF230 has electric start! :thumb:

MXboy00

Jul 3, 2003
I saw you mention jumping. If you mean jumping as far as taking the bike to a motocross track, the CRF150 and CRF230 won't get you too far. Have you considered the Kawasaki KX100 or Suzuki RM100 (Identical bikes...I have the RM100 and the powerband is a pleasure compaired to CR85's and YZ85's) I outgrew my CR80 and was too short for a 125 (I'm only 5' 2" tall). Just a suggestion if you think that you're going to be able to get aggressive on a motocross track with a trail bike. :)

Telemaqq

Sep 5, 2003
no i dont plan on entering competitions or racing hard, i just wanna know if the crf230 could handle, hmm, maybe 40 foot jumps, i dont plan on jumping often, i dont see it as that fun except if you are going around on a track and just have to clear a little gap or somethin, i also have a friend thats a little shorter then me that has a cr125 2002, im getting a crf230 2003, i think, i was wondering if i would stand a chacne against him, in a 4 bike wide track, in the woods with lotsa turns and such, maybe there are a few straight runs. i just want to know that if im leading, but hes close behind, and we get in a straight run will he wip past me or will it take him like 6 seconds to get all teh way by me which would make it so he couldnt get around beforethe next turn. i jsut want to know that i wont get smoked by him when he finds the right spot. (he is alot better then me though, so im talking if we were teh same skill lvl)

Racercr125r

Mar 16, 2003
The 125 would do better against a 230 given the same rider skill. It makes more power than the 230 and has better suspension. The 125 is a race bike where the 230 is more trail oriented.

Telemaqq

Sep 5, 2003
yeah, ui also herd that with 600 dollars you could get a power up kit or somethin and new suspension that would make this bike be able to race the 125's, and that only brings it up to you know 4100$ which is still cheaper tehn a new cr125, this bike is all new just so yah know hehe

Telemaqq

Sep 5, 2003
i was also wondering if taking out the electric start and just putting in a kickstart would shave off a few lbs or if it was even possible to do, i dont find haveing an electric start on a 4 stroke which starts on the first or second kcik even worth it neway.

shnalln

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2002
Originally posted by Telemaqq
no i dont plan on entering competitions or racing hard, i just wanna know if the crf230 could handle, hmm, maybe 40 foot jumps, i dont plan on jumping often, i dont see it as that fun except if you are going around on a track and just have to clear a little gap or somethin, lvl)

Hmm :think: To each their own...but seriously...40 ft on a crf230 would probably be about as much as you would want to do with that bike...just don't case it on a jump that long...you'll probably break or bend something as I don't think that the suspension is made for it ( I may be wrong...) And yes..the cr125 will smoke you out of the water!

factorykx125

Feb 20, 2004
Both my friends have the crf's 150,230. i rode both and the facto of the matter is, they are both kind of slow. If you have a rm80 and you say your playing around with little wheelies dont bother with the crf's they are play bikes. My friends are 16 and 17 and the my friend dave with the 230 isnt that good but he enjoys his 230. I rode it and it would only keep me occupied if all I rode was mud and play stuff. I actuall think the 150 is faster because I rode both and i could feel power difference ecepet the 150 has a harder hot down low. The 230 is really heavy. I wouldnt recomend either if you decide to race or do hare scrambles. But the nice ting aobut four strokes is the gas issue. My 125 is a pain with gas. I have to spend money on oil and gas when i go racing. Its up to you but i would recomend the rm/kx100 they are fast bikes and they are just a blast to ride. Ive been racing for as long as i could remeber and I would actually race the 100's in the supermini class if I had one but my friends do and they are a blast to ride. Consider everything because once you get a bike you may not like your stuck with it for a while. Well peace if you have any ?'s email me.

Top Bottom