crf450r makes clanking noises but only when taking off? help!

Mar 25, 2007
I have 2003 crf450r and when i go to take off it makes like a clanking noise but goes away when driving. I think its the chain, but i tightened it to specs and it still clanks. i only weigh 130lbs do i need to tighten it more than spec because im so light? (i have stock suspension settings) what should i do? :bang:

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
The chains on the CRF450's do make noise when starting out and at low speeds. Make sure the chain roller is in good condition and also the chain slider. (The plastic/nylon slider piece that wraps around the front of the swingarm.) If this plastic piece is missing or worn through, the chain will bounce off of the swingarm itself and wear the aluminum. Also, make sure the chain guide block is not worn through. (That is the guide located in front of the rear sprocket.)

Your weight has nothing to do with it.

Mar 25, 2007
yes, when i am clutching and riding at low speeds(1st gear only) like ol'89r said, but this is perfectly normal for the chain to chatter when starting in and riding in first gear?

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
rbt76 said:
Your chain is not lubed properly. What are you using and how often are you lubing?

It has nothing to do with the chain being lubricated. Has to do with the design of the motorcycle. A heavily lubricated chain may lessen the noise but they all do it. If your chain doesn't make noise, it is adjusted too tight.

losdobles

Nov 22, 2006
Could be you need to replace the piston. If it clanks at idle and noise goes away when you apply throttle, your piston is probably worn.

Spokes574

Apr 27, 2001
OK I had this issue about 9 months ago and Rich on the forum
diagnoise my issue right off the bat. I was hearing a ping noise
coming out of the front of my engine when coming our of conners
low speed accelerating hard out of the corner. I thought I had an engine
problem. Rich told me that on the CR Al frames the chain could hit the
swing arm and vibrates toward the front of the bike making it sound like
there is a engine noise. The chain did look like it was ok in terms of slack
but I did notice that the mud flap had chew marks from the chain. So I tighten the chain a bit more and THE NOISE WENT AWAY. now some of my friends tell me the chain looks too tight at 3 finger slack but the bike has been riding fine for 9 months
now without the noise!

Just try tightening the chain a bit more - as a quick test - and see if the noise goes
away!
Spokes574

Top Bottom