Dear Tim Olson,

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Well, this came back from the past...

Heard Tim had a really bad get-off with some serious injuries.

Get well man.

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
Okiewan said:
Well, this came back from the past...
You can say that again. I'm clean and sober now, divorced, rested, and I've got a new attitude. I cannot say that I'm glad this one was resurrected.

Okiewan said:
Heard Tim had a really bad get-off with some serious injuries.

Get well man.
Yes, heel up Tim.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
OK, now listen up!!!

If i ever said anything about Timmy, i sincerely take it all back. Ive raced at the same club now for over 18 months- He really is a nice guy, and is very approachable and fun to chat with and know. And to be fair, he is one fast dude also, so given the time he gets to ride i expect he can critique a bike much better than most of us. It just goes to show, you shouldnt make an opinion of someone youve never met.

given all the crap he took on here, i am totally not surprized he didnt want to travel the country to meet with people that flamed him

I was at the race the week before last when Tim got hurt. It sounded bad, and it looked really bad. really, really bad.

However, i spoke to the club promoter the other day, and it souned like good news, and they are expecting to se him walking again within a month.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
techman said:
Can the (back)issues of this Mototech magazine still be obtained in some form?

The only way would be scanning every page and making PDFs out of the issues. There would have to be enough interest to go through all that. Honestly a lot of the info is a bit dated at this point and most days there much more up to date information out here on DRN. ;)

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
bclapham said:
OK, now listen up!!!

Bruce - McGrath is faster than all of us, and from all indications is a nice guy too. But if he shoveled the same crap that MXA has over the years lots of us would still take issue with it.

This isn't about personalities, it's about content, technical accuracy and integrity which last time I checked was still sorely lacking over there.

I hope Tim heals up soon. I wouldn't wish an injury on anyone, not even Mr. Weasel .

....... but if a rabid wolverine were to make a home in Jody's truck, spring out between motos and start gnawing on his leg some day at Glen Helen I'd be first in line to point and laugh. I'm still human afterall. ;)

Last edited:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
VintageDirt said:
That ain't what I heard.

.... OK, I play one on the Internet. ;)

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
ketch22 said:
Why all the vile bile on MXA? Ketch 22

Have you ever seen the magazine? :coocoo: Reading through this thread should give you a pretty good idea why many people look at MXA as nothing more than a monthly catalog filled with mindless cheerleading for advertisers. ;)

Dirtvet

Jan 23, 2000
I started riding mountain bikes recently because of my location and picked up a subscription to Mountain Bike Action to kill some time - - - - OH MY GOD- - - It's just like MXA! Turns out it is run by the same weasels. Now the editor Cunningham is Ssooo much better than Jody, but "Jimmy Mac" and the "wrecking crew" are there as bicycle experts to pedal (pun intended) what they advertise big time. It has much of the arrogance of MXA, and they don't blink (maybe wink at the supplier) in recommending that you plop down nearly $5000 for a trail bike without a motor. The margins must be incredible, and MBA (the bicycle one) must get a healthy cut.

MMG

Oct 18, 2006
Time for something different eh? Has anyone looked in yet on the new Classic Dirt Bike Magazine? (classicdirtbike[DOT]co[DOT]uk) Think its pretty much the first time that the classic section of Dirt Biking has had a UK magazine dedicated to it - though correct me if I'm wrong.

MMG

BigBoreFan58

Oct 7, 2006
Does Dirt Bike Magazine have a proof reader? I have seen 8th grade school papers put together better than that mag. I still read it though.

And how about that Motocross Action wrecking crew, oops I meant Pro Circiut Action wrecking crew.

2008 Bike Test - All Models

1) Is it fast?

2) Is it faster than last years?

3) is it a Honda or Yamaha, then yes to the above

4) is it a KTM? if so than it sucks.

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
5) make sure and add one tooth to the rear.

6) walk directly to your local motorcycle shop and buy one, Virgina

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
and the fork springs are definitely too soft for you...they don't bother addressing the fact that there are all weights of riders out there

Eric Gorr

Engine Builder
Jun 29, 1999
Hey Wes,
I laughed my monkey-butt off when I read your post and the excerpt from Super Hunky’s book. Vic Krause of Krause Racing and I went to California in January of 1981 for the Anaheim Motorcycle Show and Daisy/Hi-Torque advertiser banquet. I was in the offices of Dirt Bike the day when Rolland Hinz walked through the door and was introduced to everyone as a financial trouble-shooter. At the time we didn’t know he was the new owner, Bill Golden didn’t drop that bombshell until the middle of the banquet. The banquet was held in a room at Chasen’s, a posh Beverly Hills restaurant. The banquet room for the motorcycle crowd looked a White Trash Bash! What a clash with the movie star set. When we were all leaving, Krause and Hunky pulled off one of the funniest stunts that caused a bit of embarrassment for Hinz among the Hollywood set, but everybody who saw it in the dirt bike business got a good laugh out of it. Perhaps Rick left it out of his book because the rouse involved a popular Hollywood starlet, but I can tell the story because this is DRN.

Imagine this scene, the stairway of Chasen’s is flanked with paparazzi photographers looking for famous people to take pictures of. Krause and Hunky come up with a rouse that involves all three of us. Hunky staged his 1963 white Cadillac in the alley in site of the staircase, Krause and I stood in the exit foyer, Hollywood types are staging to walk out smiling getting their pictures taken. Krause wants me to walk out with a starlet so he distracts this director guy who was paired with her and I staged with Donna Dixon a popular actress who at the time starred with Tom Hanks in a TV sitcom, a former Miss Virginia beauty queen, and future wife of SNL legend Dan Akroyd. I walked her down the stairs holding her hand without her realizing we pulled the switch. Hunky saw me and I signaled him, he whips out of the alley and butts to the front of the line of Rolls Royces to the front of Chasen’s. He’s got Frank Frankovic polka hits blaring at 11 on the 8-track. The paparazzi swings their cameras at Hunky who is hanging out the window smiling with that signature handlebar mustache and he’s yelling “get it!” Miss Dixon was a bit shocked and looked at me in horror and said “who are you guys?”. I turned around to look for Krause and Hinz was behind him looking at us shaking his head in disapproval.
We piled in the Caddy and I said “Way to break in your new boss Hunky!”

Within a few years the talent drain started with Super Hunky going to an off-road truck mag and Dick Miller, the best editor MXA ever had, moved on too. It’s been 25 years since I’ve subscribed to MXA.

I think that Mr. Hinz successfully adapted a style of efficently running a consumer magazine publishing company in the same style as Tiger Beat, the mag he came from. You have the same thing in MXA, sensationalistic headlines with empty articles, its what a lot of people want from a motorcycle magazine. I will hand this to the guy, he's the king of collection. I've seen him handle deadbeat advertisers and he's good.

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
That's a great story Eric! I bet you've got more than enough stories like that to write an excellent non-techical book too.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Eric Gorr said:
. . . Tiger Beat, the mag he came from.
The Super Hunky story was awesome, but that right there is the funniest thing I've read about anyone in the world of dirt bikes! :rotfl:

Solid State

Mar 9, 2001
motometal said:
and the fork springs are definitely too soft for you...they don't bother addressing the fact that there are all weights of riders out there
Beat me to it. Lets not forget:

7) Needs offset triple clamps
8) Just ask for the MXA suspension setting

Too funny.

What's not too funny is that in one of the articles they recommended the louder 4 stroke exhaust tip because noise wasn't an issue as MXA only rides on "closed course" tracks.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Nothing quite as good as a 5 year old VD thread with a new story. That sounds like you guys had fun Eric.

Eric Gorr

Engine Builder
Jun 29, 1999
XR Pedator, that was my first trip to SoCal at 23 and the old Dirt Bike MXA offices were a pretty fun place. There was a lot of writing talent there. I'll tell you another funny one. Dick Miller had the coolest office. The walls and his desk were covered in glass, black floor tile, neutral ceiling. His desk was spotless with nothing on top other than what he was working on. Dick was a batchelor and a player. His whole office walls and desk were wallpappered with black and white model composite photos, autographed by exotic dancers. It was a really a cool design, not tacky at all.
I wish I was there when Mr. Hinz walked in to see the look on his face! When he bought the company he started a policy about women in photos, no v-necks, shorts down to just above the knees, no swimsuits, no TransUSA, he must've flipped when he saw Dick's office!

Wes, I've got X-Files on the dirt bike industry and all the antics I've seen or participated in over the years, especially in Europe! That place in the 1990s was the wild wild west!

Dick Miller and Rick Sieman made good compatible editors. They were really into the writing, especially the technical stuff. We were lucky to grow reading about those guys.

jssport

Feb 20, 2003
So who was "Baz" and why did he retreat to a chicken farm?

I've still got the very first issue of MXA, all but two of the first year.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Eric Gorr's MX Files = a book that I'd like to buy!

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Pat - I've been bugging him to do this for a LONGGGGGGGGG time. ;)

Top Bottom