socal scott

Nov 2, 2001
:confused: Thanks Will, 'til I port for more torque I need the increased compression duration, I think. Currently I have big hit exiting slow turns for example(no clutching). This may be compensating for the lack of good torque. The p/v's can't be opening that soon, I wouldn't think?
I do understand delayed hit would enable one to stay in the meat of the power longer before the revs would hit...thus I'd get the hit at a more optimum speed, right. I was confused on less pre-load in thinking this would create an earlier hit that would result in pipey powerband(which I have, see note to Jaybird). So, what really is happening by opening the p/v's prior to that optimum cross over point of torque/hp is you create a soft spot via the drop in compression and increased port area/duration.
Why would that affect the top end?
Nothing has changed as far as valves and porting specs'.
I'll try less preload, I just hope I don't lose the increased roll-on power I have gained recently. Though I think the DDK is responsible for that any way.

Jaybird, the previous owner did a top-end job prior to my purchase. I think the p/v timing is suspect. My torque may be off as well as the hit due to the fact that the p/v's aren't at fully closed position(2 or 3mm's) when I had the linkage marks just inside the adjustment range markers. Lowest height position resulted in very poor performance. These markers can be viewed via a small cover on the shifter side of the cylinder. The main valve height can be viewed via the exhaust port with piston and rings used as a reference point. The p/v adjuster, actually the p/v height adjuster as it turns out to be can be turned while viewing the main exhaust valve level. After setting it to it's lowest position, check the linkage markers to see if they are in the proper range. Again run like a terd if just outside the upper range mark. Remember of course before any investigating/experimenting to mark where the markers currently are positioned. Just my 2 cents, okay .50!

Later guys

Top Bottom