yz250-effer

Nov 4, 2000
I think I have the oldest ( so far ) . . .

AND it does take two hands to drive. A 61 apache 1/2 ton ,longbed stepside. But it has been slightly modernized with a 68' 327, and matching turbo 400 speed automatic. I also put a 338 in the rear end so it would actually do 75 mph. without hitting 4000 rpm.

Only 2 complaints - the brakes suck ( all drum ) and no power steering. I know I could up-grade, but heck, why have an old truck if you are going to change it into a new one?

I think it will do about 130 with the corvette engine and the gearing changes, but since it handles like a bus, you won't catch me trying anything over 90.:)

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
I have never owned a ford. Just always been a chevy guy. One of my best cars was a 80 Olds Cutlass Supreme 2DR. I drive a 96 GMC 1500 EXT cab currently. I have 72k on it with very little problems other than a battery and alternator. I put a set of power pullys on it causing the alternator to spin a little faster due to the smaller pully. I bought one with a lifetime warrenty on it so it should not be a problem if it happens again.

Hick

Aug 15, 2000
I come from a ranching family, where we use/abuse our trucks beyond what most people would consider normal. If trucks were animals, PETA would be camped on our doorsteps. We normally haul loads that dwarf most toy haulers etc., 10k lb. stock trailer loaded, 15k lb. feed trailer loaded. I’m the dumb hick going 50 mph up the hill that you pass on the freeway pulling your 5k pound boat with your $40K powerstroke.

I’m not necessarily a Chevy guy, especially when it comes to trucks, but you can’t argue with these real-world results:

90 K2500, 5.7 gas, TH400, 4:10 gears, 310K miles
92 K2500, 5.7 gas, NP 5 spd, 4:10 gears, 200K miles
94 K2500, 6.5 diesel, NP 5 spd, 3:73 gears, 500K miles

That is well over a million miles on three trucks. Granted, the 90 is on its second motor (and fourth tranny, God I hate automatics) and the 6.5 did (finally) need some motor work, ruined a head, but other than that it is amazing what you can do to these things, if maintained properly.

Always use synthetic oil in the five speeds, and always use the GM additive in the no-slip (posi, ltd. slip, whatever) rear diff.s, and anybody who gets an auto (except the new GM Allison) and tows with it is forbidden, by my rule, to complain when it craps out. Especially if you own a Powerstroke.

Finally, if I hear one more person say “...but the Chevy is not a TRUE diesel,” I’m gonna barf. Ummm, hello, they OWN Detroit DIESEL!!

But I suppose the criticism is expected, the early Chevy attempts at a diesel were often pathetic. Not so w/ the 6.5.

Anybody got one with the new Isuzu motor?

Top Bottom