Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
This thread is for questions or comments regarding any of the Product Tests performed by DRN.

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
I really enjoyed the review and am extremely interested in the ongoing use of this boot. I have had a pair of Tech 7's for almost 4 years and really like the boot (in spite of replacing multiple straps and buttons). In looking at my options for a new, replacement boot, I have come down to about 3 options: The new tech 8, which seems heavy and bulky
The Tech 6, which is the actual replacement for the tech 7
The new Sidi boot, which may not last more than a year or two (hard to say on a brand new model.)

My main concern is the wear factor. Having used my 7's for 4 years, I am strongly in favor of the Alpine boots. But, those Sidi's certainly are a nice looking boot. If they hold up well, I may very well buy the Sidi's.

longtime

Oct 7, 1999
Ankle plates?

The review mentioned that there was more lower protection than most boots -- extra formed parts rather than just leather. Is there actually some hard, or formed, protection of the ankle itself? (I broke my ankle riding when my peg went right through it -- I noticed my current boots have no protection for the ankle against a blow).

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Yes, there is more ankle protection than any boot I've seen. Soon as Nikon sends my Digital back from it's $200 repair, I'll put up some detailed shots.

One thing of note; after cleaning the bike (CR) I noticed the boots mark-up the frame a LOT more than boots without this hard protection in the ankle area. I doubt it will have the same impact on steel framed bikes, but it's something to mention.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
I'll have some pics and more info on the Sidi boots this weekend but the short version is, these have a remarkable level of ankle, heel, and shin protection without making the boot feel clunky or restricting movement. Great engineering. I'll have Part 1 of my review posted this weekend.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Will there be a subsection in the Reviews-Impressions-Questions forum for all the DRN Tested products? Where will all the reviews be kept?

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
I'm looking forward to it. I'm a little tired of MXA with "its the best ever" or "it sucks"

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
:D

KXaggerator

~SPONSOR~
Feb 4, 2001
I have a EE width foot, and my favorite pair of work boots have a EEEE width. Do any of your testers have wide feet? I an disappointed that FOX chose to bow out of the testing. I have a new pair of Forma Comp's still in the box, I have tried them on once and they feel too narrow compared to my old Gaerne's. I'm afraid I am going to have to put them on the For Sale board. :(

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
We going to do it a little differently than the mags... the idea is "real-world" reviews, by "real-world" riders who have to pay for their stuff
As far as EVS not "giving" us a brace to review... If I were them, I wouldn't want it reviewed with the other braces either. Please don't imply that just because they wouldn't supply one for review we trashed it, would be kinda childish don't you think? We were not supplied a unit to review, therefore there is no review. The last thing we'll do (regarding the series tests, where we review several products) is go out and buy the product to review. All the manufacturers were given the review guidelines and invited to participate. EVS declined... no review.

I guess I'm just confused. Please forgive my obvious ignorance.

MX265

Sponsoring Member
Jan 29, 2001
Jaybird,

I think what was being said, though I may be wrong, is that the Test products were to be donated to individuals who normally have to buy their gear. The products to be tested were not going to be bought; only tested by people who normally buy their own stuff. Unlike the pro's who get paid to use something, these testers would base their preffered product decision on what they would prefer to buy and use. Basicly they were only going to test the donated products and choose to buy what they preffered. I hope this makes sense considering I wrote this at 7:50AM in pre-coffee mode. :confused:

Andy

Last edited:

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Quote, Jaybird??

Jaybird, Who made that second quote??? Where did you get it from?

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
General Discussions...Safety Gear

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Thanks!

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
Has Rich's part of the review on the Sidi boots been posted yet? I am anxious to hear his take on these boots, as they are most likely my next major purchase. He mentioned on the 15th that his post would be the following weekend and I am hoping that I havent just missed it. Not trying to rush the moderators, just wondering if \ when it will be posted.

KXaggerator

~SPONSOR~
Feb 4, 2001
Rich, since you have worn both Alpinestars and Sidi boots, which one seems wider? I have Sidi Dominator 2 mountain biking shoes and they fit great, so I was leaning towards the Sidi's. I realize if I get the Alpinestars I can remove the liner for more room.

I just saw Rich's post, I guess it was Okie that has the Alpinestars. So, Okie whatcha say?

Last edited:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
I should have my full review (with pictures) up by THIS weekend. I got bogged down in other things. SORRY.

Quick review on the Sidi Flex Force SRS:
- Great buckle system that is easy to adjust
- Great support at the ankle and base of the foot
- super protective all around
- BEAUTIFUL fit and finish.
- SRS sole can be replaced with an electric screwdriver in under 1 MINUTE!!
- sole is super grippy. your feet won't be slipping off the pegs
- adjustable calf system is easy to use and makes for an awesome custom fit
- internal gator system keeps water out without overheating your lower leg.
- they look totally BITCHIN :)
- pivoting ankle system along with the adjustable calf makes breakin uneccessary
- I have wide feet but had no problems with fit or comfort.

quick dislikes:
- These are SX boots, so the soles are very stiff. If you aren't used to stiff boots you might be put off by this. I usually wear Hi Point GP (very soft and flexible) so I noticed this right away. I don't have a whole lot of ankle flexibility anyway so it only took a few rides around the house to get used to it. The extra support in a boot this comfortable seemed worth dealing with the stiffness. The upside is if I had these boots a few years ago I wouldn't have broken my foot landing from a jump. My AXOs folded the sole and snapped my foot. OUCH!! Woods riders might be better served by the less stiff NON-SRS Flex Force. The extra stiffness might be a liability in the woods.
- I have a small foot (8.5-9 ) coupled with a short but wide calf (18.25" without MX pants) so I had to modify the calf adjustment system with a pattern file to fit me. The good part is it was quick, easy, and it worked GREAT. The problem is, I don't have enough room to fit my CTI Edge brace in there. Okie is a big guy but he didn't have any problems fitting his Asterisk braces in the non-SRS Flex Force model. I'll follow up on this when I get my Asterisk braces.

Overall these are incredibly well made boots with an ultra trick sole system that I would recommend to anyone looking for a great looking, super protective boot that doesn't mind a stiff sole.

As part of the trick SRS system, Sidi (www.motonation.com) makes a $20 bolt on SuperMotard slider kit. This can be used in place of a steel shoe for flattrack use. I've ordered one of these kits and will be testing it out as well. Can you say, "back it in"? :)

I'll have pics and more details this weekend.

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
Rich,
good, informative review!

Could I suggest that in future boot reviews that the tester include not only their boot size, but calf size, & basic foot width (narrow, wide, whatever).

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
In my FULL review I'll have a little table with all that junk in it :)

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Rich - great summary! Did you test the Vectors Also? If so can you let me know which of the two (Sidi vs. Vector) you liked best? Just send me a PM if you like. Thanks -- Strick

p.s Okie & Rich - I really like this DRN Tested platform. Great Idea!!

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by Strick
Rich - great summary! Did you test the Vectors Also? If so can you let me know which of the two (Sidi vs. Vector) you liked best?

Okie looked at the Vectors but I don't think he did a full review yet. That may be on tap for this weekend.

Top Bottom