737jet

Jun 13, 2007
I was out at Triangle beach in Richmond yesterday and just after I climbed a sand hill and leveled off, it my KDX 200 started to die a bit. I held the clutch and gassed it to keep it alive but it stalled eventually. Thinking I could save her, I went to kick it and it wouldn't budge.

When I took it apart to look inside one of the inserts on the gas tank ripped a hole in through the tank and spilled gas everywhere. Near full tank too.

Perfect.

When I got it apart, the jug came off easy but a chunk around the intake port was missing. The piston is pitted, chunks of it welded to the head, and all the metal it made went downstairs. The metal chunks won't let me turn the engine over.

I think the engine is beyond saving. If it were my car, no brainer, don't fix it. Replace it.

If it's cheaper to fix it let me know. I highly doubt it. If anyone knows where I can get a used 95 200 kdx engine, please let me know. Also, would a kx250 engine fit? if so, any info on where to get one would be nice. I'd post pic's of the grenaded engine but the site won't let me.

ebeck

Dec 13, 2006
Pretty sure a KX motor would fit. You would need new motor mounts but I am pretty sure it fits. I stuck a KDX motor in a KX125.

737jet

Jun 13, 2007
Sweet! Would I need to change the Carb/ Exhaust? What year kx 250 engines would fit? Oh yeah, were the heck am I going to get one?

737jet

Jun 13, 2007
I do have to say one thing about this bike though. In the short time I've owned it, I changed the oil and plug. That's it. It's had 3 tanks of gas go through it and about 5 hours.

For a used bike, it needs swing arm bushings, Shock bushings, rear brake pads and some cosmetics. I have never ever been happier with a dirtbike ever. It has power when you need it and the ability to slowly cruise when you're tired.

I beat the snot out of that bike towards the end ripping it up sand hills for 2 strait hours. Full power until it siezed.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
If you were very happy with the KDX engine then I would not throw a 250 mx engine in there. Besides, the chassis is far behind the times, and more power is just going to emphisis that.

You can get an entire crank assembly, or replace the bearings on the current crank (usually way easier to replace the whole thing, a lot less labor too). Keep your eyes peeled for a new cylinder on the big auction site, get a head there too (or fix your's up). New piston, rings, gaskets, seals, and it's good to go.

I would definitely rebuild. 2 strokes are pretty simple beasts. The crankcase is completely seperate from the transmission, so you don't need to worry about piston debris making into there.

737jet

Jun 13, 2007
I wouldn't mind the extra power but the real reason is because there are probably more used KX engines out there then kdx engines. I'm going to split the case soon. I've rebuilt car engines galore and was wondering if there's a site or a place that gives general info on how to do this for a 2 stroke?

ebeck

Dec 13, 2006
Nah I see KDX motors all the time on egay. In fact a top eend is out there right now and a new bottom end was out there last week.

Heck I have a spare 220 top I just bought a month a go from there.

737jet

Jun 13, 2007
I checked egay out and there was a bottom end but it was all in pieces. What kind of loser takes a engine the bottom end apart and then sells it saying it's fine? I wonder if something might be wrong with it.........

This is extremely gay and frustrating........

Top Bottom