wouterg

Aug 23, 2004
Hi All,

I have just bought a 2004 KDX200. I have been out twice with it. Yesterday I saw there is a leak in the joint between the front and back parts of the pipe. It is chucking oil on my rear brakes. is this common ? What is the best way to solve it ?

Regards,
Wouter Germishuys
South Africa

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Repack your silencer (back part), then get yourself a 2" piece of 3/4"hose and clamp it on both sides of the pipe junction. Good luck, YZ165

wouterg

Aug 23, 2004
Exhaust

Hi All,

On the exhaust note again. How big a difference does an aftermarket pipe make ? Is it worth the extra bucks ?

Any preferences ?

Regards,
Wouter

hunter1

Feb 27, 2004
Wouter,

The splooge leaking out the expansion chamber to silencer junction means your jetting is too rich. I also have a 04 model 200 and have almost sorted the jetting out. At the moment my pilot jet is at 42 and main at 155 with the clip on the needle at second from bottom air screw approx 1 and three quarter turns out, this is at sea level. I put a cable tie on each end of the rubber boot at the junction and this works but still pushes the oil into the silencer. That was before i sorted the jetting. Bike is stock with the airbox cover removed and a twin air filter installed. The stock exhaust works but a fmf pipe does improve performance quiet a bit. Cheers.

Last edited:

wouterg

Aug 23, 2004
Where are you in ZA ? Did you change the jets yourself ? I am no handyman :laugh: .

Where can you get the jets ?

Regards,
Wouter

hunter1

Feb 27, 2004
I stay in Cape Town at the moment, originaly from JHB. The jets can be bought from any Kawasaki dealership, it's a good idea to buy a few sizes to play around with. You are approx 6000 ft above sea level so the jetting will be different. The next best investment is to buy the manual from Kawasaki, it shows you how to do all the necessary work on the bike. Check out the jetting info on this site by canadian dave, excellent info.

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
matt-itude said:
the stock silencer on my 03 kdx 200 is not repackable!

I did not know that. My bad. Did Kawasiki think that the packing in the KDX's would last forever? That sux. Sorry for the bad info. YZ165

matt-itude

Jul 6, 2004
I dont think they thought. however if they did think they were thinking they would make money on me buying factory replacements! I really have my doubts that will happen. which aftermarket silencer is quiet? on the jet sizes I ride my 03 kdx 200 from about 4500ft to once in a while 10500ft and am currently using a 155 main 45 pilot and moved my needle clip up one position. It doesnt feel perfect yet but it is very close. oh yeah the bike is bone stock except for the 12t front sprocket.

Top Bottom