Kevin31

Aug 4, 2001
I live in north central PA, nothing but hills followed by more hills. The diesels will make the same power at almost half the rpm. Just like on dirt-bikes, it's not only how much power there is, it's where the power is.

J.B.426

~SPONSOR~
Mar 20, 2000
You'll always hear people say how much better the diesel pulls than the V-10. I don't think it is necessarily the cut and dry truth. Here is an good thread from the ford-diesel site. http://forums.ford-diesel.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=20&t=000725

By the way I have a 2001 Ford F250 CrewCab 4x4 auto with the V-10. I get about 14-15 mpg on the highway not pulling and about 11-13 around town. Works for me. They are both good engines, just factor in what is most important for your application and then drive each of them. Either way you can't really go wrong.

bwalker

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 10, 2000
J.B., The diesel was towing more weight, was not broken in, the v-10 was modified and the boat was probaly less aeodynamic than the other trailer. The diesel will outlast, get better milageover the life of the vehicle, have a higher resale and will out tow a v-10. IMHO its a no brainer to go with the diesel.

J.B.426

~SPONSOR~
Mar 20, 2000
Ben,
Point taken, not a very scientific approach. But there is some reference in the thread below to a trailer life comparison done with the v-10 and the PSD and apparently they came out equal on towing 7000 pounds up a grade. My take is that if you're going to be towing heavy loads often, go with the diesel, otherwise it's a toss up and I, obviously lean towards the gasser.
Agreed, the diesel will get better fuel economy with slightly more maintenance costs. It will have higher resale value, and it will go more miles. But if you can afford a $30K plus truck why would you drive it for 200,000 to 300,000 miles when you could probably just afford to get a new one, since parts other than the engine start to wear out from that many miles. The v10 as well as most modern gas engines that are maintained should have no problem going 150,000 miles or so.

Here's a thread from another forum that debates engines for everybody's reading enjoyment.
http://www.ford-trucks.com/dcforum/superduty/1234.html

Feb 25, 2001
I GOT IT !

well i got it Harvest Gold 2001 F-350 XLT extended cab & bed with the Diesel and everything is great the only thing that scares me is when I turn off the motor the truck kinda rumbles and shakes...is that normal with it being a big v-8 ? it kinda scares me comming from gas trucks were you turn them off and you dont feel or hear any noises comming from the motor ?

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Some here have no idea what they are even driving!
First, a Triton IS the v-10 gas engine.
A Powerstroke is NOT a 7.3 liter thats a turbo, a Powerstoke is 7.6 liter
If one owns a Powerstroke there is no turbo to cool down.
Trucks are not drag cars. Created torque is far more important than HP in the towing world.
Like Ben said....it's a no brainer.

Very few folks choose the Triton V-10 over the 7.6 liter Powerstroke.

I have a F-250, 7.3 liter Turbo Diesal with 250,000...and still chugging along fine! I've had to have the tranny worked on and new pre-heaters....thats about it. Oh...and some idiot changed my oil and spilled some on the serpentine belt, had to replace it after it flew off inside Jiffy Lube.

bwalker

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 10, 2000
Jaybird, Powerstrokes do have turbos. At least the ones I have been around. The older ford diesel before the powerstroke was a non turbo.

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Re: I GOT IT !

Originally posted by The Honda Pilot
... the only thing that scares me is when I turn off the motor the truck kinda rumbles and shakes...is that normal with it being a big v-8 ?
That is very normal for all diesel engines. Remember to shut down a diesel, you essentially have to cut the fuel off. The governor goes to zero rack andl the pump stops delivering fuel. Due to injector balance, some cylinders are still being supplied a small amount of fuel while others are not. Essentially it's mis-firing (shakes like it's not running on all the cylinders) until the pump shuts fuel delivery off.

If you think the Navistar V8 shakes, you need to spend time around a 20 cyl. diesel gen set... it'll knock the fillings out of your head.

Kizmen

Aug 9, 2001
Honda Pilot, you did the right thing. I have a new F250 SC 4x4 long bed and it is the best truck I could ever own. One thing to remember, your new truck has a life/emotions of it's own, it doesn't really get broken in for quite a while. You'll feel your truck changing as the miles go on. Nothing beats it on a crisp, cool morning, when the air is just right. You'll start to know your trucks behavior, according to the temp/humidity. That's the neatest part.

Check out the "Power Stroke Registry" quarterly magazine. It has more info for PS owners than you'll ever need. Great tips on giving the TLC your PS will need. Answers to all the common questions, and a tech support line.
$35.00 a year. There is no phone number to call, you just fax or mail.
Power Stroke Registry
513 Bankhead Highway #200
Carrollton, GA 30117
Fax 770-214-8864

Wild Hare

Aug 9, 2001
Jaybird,

From the window sticker on my 3 week old F350 4X4 Crew Cab:

"99F 7.3L POWER STROKE TURBO DIESEL" :eek:

check out :
www.ford-diesel.com for lots of good info on the Power Stroke Turbo Diesel, good forums like here at DRN.;)

Last edited:

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
Jaybird

Whoa... Before you make those kinds of remarks you ought to be darn sure you're right.

A powerstroke diesel IS a 7.3 turbo diesel with direct injection. There is a 6.6 Duramax and there was a 6.9 navistar indirect injection diesel, heck even a 5.9 cummins but no 7.6 available in these light duty trucks.

There was a non powerstroke 7.3 available with an optional turbo but this was before the powerstroke and it used indirect injection. I think early 90s.

I don't claim to know everything and even if I did, I still wouldn't make those kinds of remarks.

Another reason he diesels have a rough shutdown is because the the engine is being stopped by a highly compressed pocket of air. These buggers have very high compression ratios and that highly compressed air is like putting a big rock in the cylinder. Some diesels will hit the air pocket and get pushed backwards a bit before stopping. This will cause the belt chirp at shutdown as the accesories resist having their direction of rotation changed.

Sounds like a nice truck.

WoodsRider

Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by Highbeam
... and it used indirect injection.
Not totally familiar with the Navistar design. I assume you mean this engine used a pre-combustion chamber.

gasgasman

Sponsoring Member
Feb 15, 2000
WoodsRider.
The Power Stroke does not have pre-combustion chambers. The fuel is directly injected into the combustion chamber. The 98s on up have "split shot" injectors. It does a double shot of fuel on every injector cycle. This really quiets down the engines.

Triton refers to the overhead cam family of truck engines..4.6,5.4,6.8.

WoodsRider

Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
gasgasman - I knew the Powerstroke didn't use a pre-combustion chamber, I was just wondering about the non-Powerstroke 7.3 engine. I was under the impression that all Navistar's were direct injection.

On the "split-shot" system, does that use one or two injectors per cylinder? When I lived in Houston we experimented with a similar system for use in marine propulsion engines. Only we were looking at a reduction in CO and NOx emmision along with reduced fuel consumption.

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
I am pretty sure that all pre-powerstorke navistars used indirect injection (prechambers). The loud rattle of the powerstrokes came with the introduction of the direct injection. The gurgle of the 6.9s and early 7.3s is a result of the smoother combustion hit created by the prechamber. The direct injection is much more efficient, it is used on the cummins the duramax and even the VW's diesel.

What "they" have been able to do with the electronic injection control is inject a small ignition charge of fuel and then inject the larger power squirt on the same stroke. This lowers noise because you don't get one big bang and reduces emmisions as well because the ignition charge provides additional heat for a more complete combustion of the power charge.

I think the split shot injectors have a muti-orifice tip to allow better spray diffusion. The downside is that the smaller orifices could clog more quickly and the injectors should be more expensive to produce.

I agree the Triton series is like the Magenum or Vortec, it refers to a line of engines.

Diesels are so cool. I wonder why the gassers don't use a direct injection instead of injecting fuel behind the intake valve. Multistage injection of a gasser would allow for a longer power stroke and yield higher torque.

WoodsRider

Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Diesels are so cool. I wonder why the gassers don't use a direct injection instead of injecting fuel behind the intake valve. Multistage injection of a gasser would allow for a longer power stroke and yield higher torque.
Gasoline must atomize with the air coming into the cylinder. If it is not properly atomized, the gasoline will "wash" the lubrication from the cylinder walls. You do not have this problem with a diesel engine since ignition begins the instant fuel is injected into the cylinder (or pre-combustion chamber). Diesel fuel is also not as refined as gasoline and closer to the crude base stock. A diesel engine will run (runaway) on it's own lube oil. :eek:

WoodsRider

Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Still, a leaking injector on a diesel engine will "wash" away all the lubrication from the cylinder wall. The piston will then scuff against the liner wall leaving you with this (FYI - this is a locomotive piston, each cylinder measures 645 cubic inches) -

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
I wouldn't suggest injecting the gasoline ahead of time, but rather at the correct time for immediate combustion. Just like a diesel. I would agree that you don't want a charge of gasoline washing the oil off the cyliner walls.

The compression ratio could also be increased, since you need not worry about preignition. This would lead to higher efficiency.

Woodsrider: where's that piston picture?

Feb 25, 2001
To any fellow Diesel owner what kinda of RPM's are you turning over when you are traveling from speeds of 65-80 Mph ? My motor at 70 is turning 2 & a quarter thousand RPM's which isnt much for a gasser but my motor sounds like it wound out. Is this normal ? I wish this was a five speed auto so that it could upshift and quiet down the motor. I havent gone 80 yet one the wide open road but im sure it will turn what 3,000 rpms ? rite one that nice red line.

WoodsRider

Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Diesel engines produce peak torque and horsepower at much lower RPM's than a gasoline engine. This is why diesels are more efficient than gasoline engines. Not knowing the redline for your engine I would assume the governor will kick in before you do any internal damage. My only experience, on the automotive side, was the tow-truck I used to drive. It was an '85 Chevrolet with a 6.2 diesel. Flat out it could do 85 mph before the governor would kick in.

Highbeam - For some reason I can post a pic. If you're interested I could e-mail it to you.

SPD & bwalker - Cummins' are nice but they're babies compared to the stuff I've worked with.

bwalker

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 10, 2000
To any fellow Diesel owner what kinda of RPM's are you turning over when you are traveling from speeds of 65-80 Mph ? My motor at 70 is turning 2 & a quarter thousand RPM's which isnt much for a gasser but

At 75 mine turns about 21-2200rpm. I have 4:10 gears and 295/75/16 tires. Keep in mind the PSD is a v-8 and likes to rev a bit more than the Cummins

Woods, Have you ever seen a Napier-Deltic opposed piston diesel? One bad motor.

Top Bottom