False advertising

cr-man

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 6, 1999
Aren't you guys as tired as I am with the false advertising in the Dirt Bike world as I am? FMF for one says there SST pipe does everything to improve performance that goes against the laws of physics and people a lot smarter than uncle Donny that wrote SAE papers. How about when you pick-up a new Magazine and they tell you how awesome a new pipe is only to buy one and find out it's worse than your stock pipe. Don't get me wrong Pro-circuit is a quality company as far as backing there products, but I think they own MXA. Mitch definitely knows what buttons to push on Jody! I hate it and I am sick and tired of how they get away with it they should be held responsible for there claims on performance products from the manufacturers to the Magazines. What does everybody else think?

BigBore

Jun 16, 1999
Hands down, aftermarket exhaust companies are the worst for wild advertising claims. Most of their advertisements try to make you think your bike is worthless without their pipe, and putting one on your bike will turn it into a god-almighty fire breather.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I think if you take what most of the magazines say with a grain of salt then see what truth you can get about the "good press" by searching out forums such as DRN you will come to a happy medium. No magazine will EVER have a feedback section like you can find on the Internet. If you have junk, somebody is going to have something to say and you can't really stop them. Then again any idiot with a connection can lay out bad press on a good product or service but is usually counteracted by those willing to make them "fess up" to ALL the facts.

Dr.billZ

May 15, 2000
I think most riders would be better off putting the options on THEM and not their bikes (IMHO ;) ) ie: pratice more.

Here's a little deception in the optical business: "Only Lenscrafters has Featherwate brand lenses". ........True and false. Yes they are the only ones that can sell a lens with the NAME of Featherwate. No, they aren't any different than any other polycarbonate plastic lens. It's just that Lenscrafters BOUGHT the rights to the name of lens and that is all. So, yes no one else has "Featherwate lenses".

A little deception in any other business..... "No brand is better"..... OK they all are equally as good, but not better.

Read between the lines and forget the BS.

Adrenaline

Mod Ban
Oct 26, 2001
Re: Uni filter's

I have heard that claim. They also claim that the stock filter produce's more power than a twin air filter and with my experiance that's not true.
Adrenaline

cr-man

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 6, 1999
The ad I hate the most is by FMF and their SST pipe saying that improves power by cooling the exhaust gases. People have tried to keep as much heat in the exhaust as possible for a long time. The SST may improve performance, but I do not believe there claims on how it's done.
Patman when have you heard a magazine rip on an aftermarket exhaust that was made in Cali. or when have you seen them test European exhaust pipes?
I know what your saying and believe me I love DRN, but what about a kid that picks up a Magazine at the supermarket and believes what he reads? That's how I was I did not grow-up with the internet I read Magazines and believed what they wrote until I met Eric Gorr through his Porting service and his helpful replys to all of my calls that guided me to some useful info. and where to get my hands on it. I admit it I'm a Moto junkie can't get enough never could.

EricGorr

Super Power AssClown
Aug 24, 2000
Thats great Joe (CR-Man) blame your truth seeking personality on me! Now Jody's got another reason to put my picture back on the dart board. Thats ok, Rich's picture is getting real perforated by now:)

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
Anybody ever called pro circuit and asked where the gains are on their pipe's?...here's what i always get....ring..ring....pro.....c i r c u i t...yea can you tell me what your pipe does for the 02 cr125!?.....he says.. more bottom,mid and top!.....i'm looking for bottom.....oh it helps bottom.....but i don't want to loose top.....it's better on top!.......hows the mid?...oh it rips in the mid.....but really what does it help the most?.....bottom mid and top!!.......it's always the same story for years now! no matter what bike the same story......anyway the pipe helped the top only,less bottom and same in the mid.....the comissioned order takers will never give a straight answer! the final step in their false advertising....so buying a pipe is like a box of chocolates you never know what your gona get..FG......:mad: :)

Last edited:

Hogwylde

Aug 1, 2001
I love those comercials for new and used cars that say "ALL APPLICATIONS ACCEPTED!!" Yea, they will ACCEPT your application......but they won't APPROVE it unless it meets there criteria!! Don't believe everything you hear or read. If you do........I have some swampland in Florida that's about to be bought for development and I'll let it go real cheap!! (just for my friends on DRN too!!:D )

cr-man

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 6, 1999
Yeah Eric it is your fault you gave me a taste of the truth and now I can't get enough!:) I guess we won't get our picture taken at the dealer show or they'll be throwing darts at all of us and we don't want to make it easy for them now do we?:p Steve125 your exactly right if you go back through past year magazines Pro-circuit has the same write-ups for all their pipes it's pretty sad that they can't even think up some new stuff to write. I am trying to get your picture up on the board Eric as I try to mention your name every time I talk to a performance shop in Cali.. I can't resist hearing there teeth clench. Can you feel the love Eric coming from Cali. it's all for you!:)

Dr.billZ

May 15, 2000
What does it basically come down to? The American public LIKES to be lied to...... HUH?? Yup, the American public needs a reason to buy something, psychologically.
I once had a lady that WANTED new eyeglasses. Her prescription had not changed and I told her so. She couldnt' rationalize buying a new pair without her prescrition having changed. I would have had to LIE TO HER for her to get what she actually wanted...... a new pair of glasses. It wound up with me being "fired".......for being HONEST.
This lady asked me no less than 5 TIMES in a 2 minute period if her prescripion had changed. I finally walked out of the exam room counting to 10. I had reached that point.
She got PO'd that a Doctor had the "audacity" to get frustrated( like we aren't people too). She talked to the owner of the optical place and then they both confronted me as to whether her prescription had change....AGAIN!! I responded with...... "You asked me 5 times already if your prescription had changed and the answer is still the same it was the last 5 times...... No".
Somehow I was asked to leave............. for being honest.
So, you see people seem to like being lied to. It is a wierd world in which we live.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
cr-man I think you and I ARE talking about the same thing. Read it, get excited then take the step most by-pass ask real people and technical wizards. All I had was magazines and books when I was a sprout as well. I then chose to seek out answers to everything reguardless of wether it made sense or not just to be sure and I still do. I have been a huge fan of Eric Gorr before I even knew who he really was! I was like a stupid little kid at Dirt Week, sat there and couldn't hardly spit out 5 words to the guy, just ask him. I was a complete dork.:o

cr-man

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 6, 1999
Patman I was the same way when I met him this past winter at the Indy dealer show I had a hard time talking to him also. I mean I have looked up to the guy for the past 14 years he's everything you want to be in life a nice person first and a helluva a mechanic second plus he gets to tinker with dirtbikes all day long!:) We are getting off of the flame talking about how great Eric is and I can go on and on about how nice he has been to me through the years, so I'm going to say it one more time "I appreciate everything you do Eric and all the moderators on this board". Thanks

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by Patman
just ask him. I was a complete dork.:o

Pat - Don't blame Eric for your SUDDEN dorkification :confused:

Top Bottom