LEllis7motox

Jan 28, 2008
Ok, i was just wondering how maany of u wrecked doing your first double? This is because my "know it all" brother is trying to tell me EVERYONE wrecks there first time jumping a double and when i jump the double that i am going to wreck.... :bang:

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
I crashed my first turn, single, double, whoop, straight, hell even the first time I tried to put the bike on the stand. I also fell out of the bed of my truck loading the bike (and that wasn't that long ago). Tell your brother to shut his pie hole. ;)

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Lol, this is funny. The reason most young riders crash when trying to iump for the first time has more to do with the jump. We built jumps by hand, and alot of trail and error. Error=crash. You're on a dirtbike, who cares if you crash. Like Okie says, you will get hurt screwin around off the bike too. I've been injured a few times moving logs and rocks from in the trail. Just be careful and relax. Watch someone do it first. Even ride along side them to see how fast they're goin. Try to relax, being nervous makes you tense.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Nope, ddin't crash on that first double. I was scared because I knew I would, though. Clearing that first double is one of the best feelings in the world! I couldn't wait to get around the track to get back to it...and I was almost as nervous the second time as the first.

The first one I ever did was probably 20 feet from peak to peak, with the takeoff being about 4-5 feet tall and the landing being 3-4 feet tall. I had been riding for a couple months.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
I can thank Gomer for me clearing my first double. Didn't crash but I was so out of shape in the air that his wife started running before I landed b/c she was sure I was going to crash!

I came back shaking b/c I couldn't believe I saved it and Gomer said, "do it again." I did it again and cleared it and he said, "I can't believe you listen to me." :)

Ivan

MSB22

Feb 19, 2008
my first double ever..i was petrified..but i never crashed and i loved it...

although in the last 3-4 years i've prob crashed...20 times....

every year when i first get my bike out and ride im like I can't remember how bad it sucks to crash til it happens the first time then your like wow that wasn't bad at all :D

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Go to an established track. There will likely be safe jumps. There will be other riders doing them. Ride with riders of your ability, speed. Go early, walk it, start slow and do not ride too much outside your comfort level. You will never learn till you try. Single jumps can give you an idea how far you can easily jump. Measure and compare to the doubles. Over jumping a little is better than coming up short a little. Relax and let the bike come to you in the air. Do not push or pull, unless your front is too high, then push it down and pray. Front down, give it all the throttle you have. A cam corder could help you see what you are and are not doing, and we can watch! I do not remember crashing off jumps for quite some time after starting.

Last edited:

J-man

May 16, 2007
i never crashed on my first double. i just let the bike sail and i stayed relaxed. But my first time trying to do a triple now thats a whole different story.

LEllis7motox

Jan 28, 2008
J-man said:
i never crashed on my first double. i just let the bike sail and i stayed relaxed. But my first time trying to do a triple now thats a whole different story.

Lets here it :boss:

O and i ride at a safe track i was watching people jump the double last night and theres a few kids that jump the double with kx100, yz85, and a crf150r i know them all and they just started recently jumping the double but anyway its a safe track and a lot of people there to help.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
Do not push or pull, unless your front is too high, then gas it and pray.
LOL! This is what happens when you hit your head too many times because whenfoxforks-ruled knows better, he just gets things backwards now and then. He might even have his shoes on the wrong feet today. :yikes:

If the front is too low, that is when you give it lots of gas in the air to try to raise it.

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
xt3.jpg

This is the double i learned on. Not very big but felt like it. Plus the ol Xt250 didnt like doing it. After getting a real bike it felt like a speed bump. :)

Top Bottom