Rut Rider

Sep 12, 2001
Anyone have any advice on what to expect for my first enduro (Brown Mtn. Lights, Sep.30, SETRA). I have been racing harescrambles for about 10 years now and have gotten use to just waiting for the flag to drop and pinnning the throttle for 2 hours. I am a little apprehensive about the enduro thing. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

Lemming

Looking for single women!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 19, 2000
The best bet is to get on a row with an experience A or AA rider. Just don't pass them and you won't burn any checks.

SETRA is pretty simple for time keeping, they run all of their events for the most part at 24mph. If you don't have someone to follow, don't leave the resets early, they may be checking you into a test section shortly after you leave the reset.

Rut Rider

Sep 12, 2001
Thanks Lemming. I am not too worried about passing any A riders. What are the resets for and how do they work? I put my stock muffler back on for the spark arrester and am fixing my odometer. I have a working headlight and taillight and am getting hooked up with a liscence tag. I think there is a road section. How are we allowed to ride on the state road for an enduro? I am excited about trying out the enduro scene, but it sure seems more complicated than ripping it through the carolina pines for 2 hours.

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
I'm not sure if the different circuits are different for timekeeping, but www.tscec.org has a fair discription of the basics. Just click on the basics section and there is a page or two on terms and timekeeping. As for the bike being street leagal I would talk to the promoters of the race or a SETRA official just to make sure that you have it right.

ssuperbike

Dec 5, 2000
Not meaning to sound like a smart as but if you have a tag, you can ride on the road. ;) They will usually have a cop directing traffic (or someone) and have speacial permission. I have only been a spectator, but am running my first enduro this weekend. I just got my bike setup, headlight taillight, brakeswitch (you shouldn't need it). The pro guys never have a horn or mirror. Just use your head and fake the funk dont be a punk! (sorry couldn't help it!) You will be fun.

FLBob

Jun 4, 2001
Rut Rider

Some info is just hard to get. I rode enduros "up north" (New England) years ago and our bikes had to be completely road legal, including a valid safety inspection sticker - a real hassle if you didn't have a friendly inspection station mechanic, required hi beam, lo beam, horn, mirror, blah, blah, blah.

Seems that down here, Florida and SETRA, the key is to "appear street legal". I might be wrong (I've only ridden one enduro down here-got the hare scrambles bug) but it seems that their official rule is "street legal" because they can't really advertise anything else. In reality nothing is really checked except for the spark arrestor. You need lights, head & tail, but I don't think they have to work.

According to the enduro guys in my club Brown Mountain Lights is a great run. You should have fun. Just remember that it's not a race, it's a timed endurance run. Pace yourself. Keep your eyes open and your brain in gear. If you see guys sitting around don't be thinking they are lazy and resting. If you're not up on time keeping, keep an eye on the guys/gals that pass you or that you pass. Their row number will give you a hint as to whether you should speed up or not.

I think the purpose of the resets are twofold; 1) To give riders a chance to gas up and catch their breath, 2) To give riders a chance to get back on schedule without being crazy on roads and fast sections. The locals don't like seeing bikes going up their dirt roads at 80 mph. Basically you "reset" your odometer to the mileage indicated, calculate (I'm assuming you don't have one of those fancy onboard computers) if you are late or early based on the new mileage and then wait a while or get going.

Don't stress-you'll have a blast!

Rut Rider

Sep 12, 2001
Dave,

The enduro was awesome! I think that I am hooked on enduros for sure. I still like the intensity of a harescramble though. It was more fun than I had imagined. I liked the part where you could rest at the resets and the checks. I have been racing harescrambles for so long that I found it really hard to glow slow when I was supposed to. Especially the first 2 or 3 motos. I hauled butt at the start and didn't even try and look at my odometer, watch, rollchart. I was in full "racing" mode. I started passing these guys sitting on the side of the trail and didn't realize why, so I kept on haulin':p (Harescramble Mode). Needless to say I burnt my first check by 5 minutes, which I figured out wasn't a good thing. I zeroed my second check by pure luck. When I came to the check station the guys were looking at me like I cheated. I thought I was doing something wrong so I freaked out on the next check and burned it by 9 minutes :( . After that I jsut stopped and started to remember the things I had read here and had heard form talking to other people about enduros. I actually started putting 2 and 2 together and zeroed 2 other checks the right way. Actually if I had payed attention to what I was doing I would have finished pretty good. Needless to say after the 5 min. and 9 min. burns I was dead last and that is how I finished. My harescramble buddy, who I convinced to ride the enduro with me, finished ride in fornt of me. We didn't care though, it was awesome. I will actually try and trophy next time. We have been laughin' about it all week, and can't wait to the next one. Thanks everyone for the advice.

Thanks,
Grant

dbarn

Oct 30, 2000
KDX?

Hey Grant,

Glad to hear you had fun. I've ridden a few enduro's in the past, can't think of anything more fun. Actually sold the last bike I had in March. Anxious to get another.

My question to you: I might get my hands on a 2000 KDX220 this weekend, if the price is right. Are you happy with your 99 200? I use to own a 84 Yamaha IT 200 back in the day. Really loved it. Have had a motocross bike ever since. Been thinking that I want to get back onto a woods bike though.

Most everything I hear is good of the late KDX's. Do you have any opinions you might want to share?

Thanks,

Dave

Rut Rider

Sep 12, 2001
Dave,
I have been riding dirtbikes for about 20 years now and have owned a selection of bikes during those years. Everything from an MX 80 to a CR 250. I bought my first KDX 200 (1994 model) in '96. I rode the pea out the thing and it never let me down. I raced it for 2 seasons and trail rode every chance I got. It always cranked first or second kick and never fouled plugs. I traded it in in the fall of '98 for the '99 model that I have now. This bike is the best all around bike I have ever owned. I did all the mod's mentioned (except porting) on the JustKDX website. I have added black excel rims and a non slip CEET cover. It looks pretty sweet. I can hang with MX bikes with no problem and can out lug any 125 and a lot of 250's up the nasty hill sections. This bike is also just as dependable as my last one. I will have to admit though, I have been contemplating moving to the orange side. I really like the KTM 300 and am getting a little tired of racing in the 200B class. I wish they made a KDX 300. I can't make my mind up right now, but I do know that it will be hard to stray from the KDX. It sure is nice to go riding with your buddies and not have to worry about you being the one with the screwed up bike all day that everyone has to wait on. ;)
Check out the JustKDX forum.

dbarn

Oct 30, 2000
Rut Rider

Rut Rider,

Thanks for the info. Yes I have seen that website, alot of helpful info.

I know what you mean..I have been checking out the KTM's around here lately, very sweet bikes and hard to beat from what I hear. Just a litte too pricey for me right now.

Well thanks for all the info.

Dave

Top Bottom