FMF Gnarly Woods Vs. Pro Circuit Platinum 2

J_Owens_66

Mar 8, 2004
Hey everyone, new to the forum here. I looked through the pipe treads and couldn't find what i was looking for. I have a stock 2002 KDX 220, it has a good bit of low-end, but i am looking for a bit more. I would like to put a pipe on there and i have narrowed my choices to a Pro Circuit Platinum 2 and a FMF Gnarly Woods. I want the one that will give me the most pull down low, i am usually in 1st through 3rd gear. Also, if i teamed one of these pipes with a FRP Torque Ring, would the ring accually make any difference? Thanks everyone.

Bill Kubitz

Dec 30, 2003
mr 66, i would install a fmf fatty with a turbine core spark arrester, boyesen power reeds, twin air filter and a little jetting and hold on. my bro and i would race when i was stock and we would be side by side. after installing my goodies i now pull him. excellent low end power with a little more top end :thumb: my 2 cents worth !!! hpoe this helps.

KnoxKDX

Jan 29, 2003
The FMF line of pipes is confusing, but there technically is no "fatty" for the newer KDX's anymore...you have a choice between a Gnarly Desert (sometimes called a "rev") or a Gnarly Woods. Both are 18 gauge steel to last better on the trails, whereas the others in the FMF lline are 19 gauge steel which is slightly thinner and will dent only marginally slower than an empty beer can (kidding).
Dynoport arguably makes the toughest pipe for these bikes but there is no concrete evidence that it will outperform the time tested FMF which does have existing dyno results available on the web for the KDX. And, like the PC Platinum II (also 18 gauge steel like FMF), it costs well over $200 whereas the FMF's can be found for as low as $159 at some locations.

john_bilbrey

Mar 22, 2003
I'll recommend the FMF Gnarly Desert (or Rev, or ~30, or whatever you want to call it) for the 220. Combine that with a good sparky and jetting, and you will be amazed at how your "tame and docile little cub" will turn into a meat-and-cheese-eating trail-tenderizer. To say it wakes the old girl up is an understatement. Don't forget to toss the airbox lid while you're in there (or at least drill it out). Still has the low end but the top is there to match it.

est142

Dec 30, 2003
i have a 97 220 with the pc platinum pipe and stinger. excellent fit and finish. no struggling to install...unlike some other pipes. not overly big and prone to always hitting stuff along the trail. i would get a pipe guard for whatever pipe you decide to get. i like my pipe a lot. i think you would be better off with the platinum for the top end boost, and drop down a tooth size on the drive sprocket to boost low end torque.the sprocket change will help you more down low than any pipe ever would. thats what I did anyway.

john_bilbrey

Mar 22, 2003
I was lucky (I guess) with my FMF - no problems with fitment. Like mentioned above, dropping a tooth in the front will help the low end quite a bit. The Gnarly Desert will open it up on the top as well. In my case, I don't want to drop a tooth on the cs sproket because I think I'd run out of gear too quick. There are several sections I ride where I'm in 6th, looking to hit another gear. Lots of folks around here do drop a tooth though.
I don't think you'll be upset either way you go, both are a HUGE improvement over stock.

gupman

Jun 6, 2003
I have a 01 200, And I have seen a few people post about FMF fit/ finish issues. But my experience with the Gnarly and the FMF ISDE S/A Has been GREAT. Huge performance increase and absolutely NO problems with fit/finish. Installation took 40 minutes. Sweeeeet!!!

kdx633

Aug 12, 2003
peegreen said:
FMF means Fit-Mightnot-Fit. P-O-O-R quality.

All this time i thought fmf where the initials of the three words used most during installation. fit,mother,and something else.triple that poor quality thing.

Top Bottom