Pipe Choice ? FMF or Pro-Circuit on 05 Kdx

novadirt

Jun 23, 2005
To replace the stock pipe on my 05 Kdx 220r, which pipe has
worked the best ? I think I have narrowed it down to a FMF Gnarly woods or a Pro-Circuit Platinum II.

billc

Mar 13, 2004
I have a 220 with the plain Platinum pipe.It fits perfectly and has good mid/high rpm power but doesn't have the grunt that I want.
I stayed away from FMF because of the rumored fitment problems.
I'd like to see a side by side comparison between a Platinum2 and an FMF Gnarly.

Airlooped

Feb 1, 2005
I have a new 04 KDX220 and I chose the PC Platinum2 and the PC Type 296 spark arrestor. The motor runs super good. It chugs down low like a four stroke and has great mid and high rpm power. The pipe fit perfectly but I needed some 3/8 inch spacers (stacked washers) to get the spark arrestor to fit right. Otherwise the spark arrestor would rub the rear fender. I would buy them both again. Nice a quiet. What a great trail bike!!!

Green Hornet

Apr 2, 2005
I have the FMF Gnarly (Rev). Its fits fine, but you have to loosen the mounting brackets and adjust from stock position. Connected to the pipe is the FMF Turbinecore 2 S/A. The bike has a much broader powerband and hit compared to stock. Throw on a pair of Boyseen Power Reeds and drop the needle one notch to compensate for the increased richness of the reeds. I have the Torque ring inbetween the pipe & cylinder and the 220 pulls like a tractor at low RPM's. I took the lid of the airbox to and you can hear the air getting sucked in as well a feeling a bit more response. Don't worry your arse will not get sucked through the seat, even though it feels like it :laugh:
PS. The silencer lines up fine, no washers to adjust the spacing.

KDXWORM

Mar 27, 2003
I have an 02 220r I have installed the Platinum II pipe and the pro Circuit spark arrestor. If fit almost perfectly although it seems to be a little close to the frame where the 2 "rods" (thats a technical term :coocoo: ) stick out under the rear fender. I have also removed the airbox snorkel and I have noticed a big jump in power and response. My next step is rejetting. I bought the P.C brand 90% for the price it was 30-40 cheaper I found than FmF brand. Take it for what its worth cause I don't know how it would run with the FMF pipe. So Im really no help at all :bang:

KDXWORM

Mar 27, 2003
I got mine for like 164 - Pipe and 114 - Silencer. From chaparral (they had somthing in stock for a change :) ).

Jan 16, 2005
I've been waiting four weeks now for my PCII. New pipe, V-force reed valve and some fat IMS pegs. Can you see me smiling from here? I'll post an update as soon as my girlfriend says I can go riding. First I have to paint some rooms, install a hardwood floor, remodel a counter-top in the kitchen and build a deck.
See you in the fall.

Sep 15, 2004
I have the FMF torque and rev pipes for my '05 200.I had no problems with the fit as everyone claims to have.Could not be happier.To say it really wakes a kdx up is an understatement!!!This is a great mod you will be pleased with the fmf.Trust me!!

novadirt

Jun 23, 2005
Thanks for the info

I used a pc304 silencer and a FMF gnarly woods pipe, seems weird but the combo works great, and it is all I could get without a long wait. I did a plug chop right away and it was a little to white for peace of mind, so I changed the 45 mainjet to a 48 and now it looks perfect. Now the bike pulls down low and sounds sweet up high and o-yah it looks great.
Thanks for the replys
NOVADIRT

Top Bottom