FMF Turbine Core II doesn't fit!!

Chodeman

Apr 11, 2001
I just got my turbine core II. When i went to install it the fit was pretty good but they drilled the holes out way too big on the mounting tabs. The factory bolts go right through the hole. I guess it's off to the hardware store for some big stainless washers. Has anyone else had this problem or did I get a bad unit? It's for an 00 220.

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
You should have received a small pouch in the bag with 4 rubber spacers, two inserts and the nuts, washers and bolts required to mount it up. If they weren't in your package I'd be giving FMF a call. Now that said the mounting hardware FMF supplies leaves a lot to be desired. You could likely do better if you stopped by the local hardware store and picked up two rubber grommets, a couple short lengths of tubing to fit the inside of the grommets, 4 washers, 2 nuts and 2 bolts. Have a look at an 89 to 94 KDX200s mounting system and you'll see exactly what I'm talking about.

David

dhoward

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 7, 2000
The TCII's fit is poor and the hardware kit doesn't make any sense. Don't feel alone!
I just ended up using a few pieces out of the kit and a few other washers and stuff I had lying around.

Chodeman

Apr 11, 2001
I went out and checked. Mine didn't come with any hardware. The directions just said to use the factory hardware which the newer bikes don't have. I will just go to the hardware store in the morning. Probably the easiest way.:think

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
My TCII came with no mounting bushings either. I returned it and bought a PC S/A instead.

FMF tech support has told me they cruise these boards to see what's being said about their 'stuff'. Hopefully they'll LEARN something in the process.

My brand new FMF rev pipe came with a hole in it at the stinger weld. They told me to weld it myself.

Gee. Thanks!

eldrm

~SPONSOR~
Nov 3, 2000
fmf fits?

i just put an fmf pc2 on mine,had the hardware with it, but still had to improvise with some of my own..........one size fits all?

GreenMan

Feb 1, 2001
I was given the hardware however I had to do some custom bending to get the thing off of my rear shock. Kind of a pain after spending that kind of dough on a muffler.

Russ

Jan 17, 2001
I too feel your pain! I had to elongate the holes in the cannister of mine because the spacing was off on the mounting locations. The parts bag DOES have some useful stuff, but it's far from complete. If you use it, you'll probably have to dremel out a piece of your fender and/or side cover and purchase longer bolts. If it's not too late.....maybe take it back and go with the PC. When will FMF get it? There must be a zillion of these things on KDX's. You would think they'd get it right!

WinterKDX

Aug 25, 2000
I had to push, bend, dremel off some green plastic and swear a few times. I did use the rubber bushings that came with the silencer. Once I got it on, it has been fine.

How often to these things need to be repacked. I need to keep the noise down sometimes.

-JeffR

carnage

Mar 16, 2001
Just got mine in yesterday. Was a bit worried after reading about their fit. It really wasn't all that bad, for mine anyways. Mine came with the hardware kit which worked fine for the lower mounting tab but had to make a small mod to the provided sleeve and then the upper mount was fine.

It definately would have been better had the whole thing just bolted right on. But considering the horror stories that I've read I can't complain about having to make 1 minor mod to get it to work.

Now, if I can just gather up some money for the rev pipe I'll be a very happy camper...

Top Bottom