LaRider20

Dec 27, 2000
Myself and other DRN members are planning a ride in Forest Hills Louisiana the weekend of November 2nd. Weather permitting, we will either be staying at the Lazy J camp ground, or roughing it in the woods. This will be a family type ride with kids, and a family type enviroment should be expected. If you're interested in joining us for the weekend, I can be contacted at LaRider20@aol.com.

shawnp

Aug 3, 2002
I hope to be ready to ride by then. My back is getting better but now I am having problems with virtigo. So much for the hard head theory. Where are you planning to ride. We use to have a permanent site at Lazy J in Bush, La. Is that the same place? i'll give you a call later.

LaRider20

Dec 27, 2000
Shawn, I'm sorry to hear that you're not recovering as quickly as you'd hoped.
This Lazy J is in Forest Hills. It's a very small camp ground. You used to be able to ride right into the trail area from the camp ground, but the forest rangers said that it wasn't trails that they made so they were illegal and started writing tickets. The campground does have showers, but I have a quickie shower that we can use in the woods, and pleanty of visqueen for privacy. Water isn't a problem either. I'm in school during the day, but you can call me on my cell phone after 4pm.
Don't forget about the Saints/Steelers game on Oct. 6th.

Later,

Last edited by a moderator:

Moteaux

Professional Mud Tester
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 30, 2001
Troy,

Where exactly is the LazyJ and if this is where you will be staying can you elaborate on reaching the trails considering the new restrictions in place at Forest Hills?

And by the way if I am in (not in the Gulf), I am in!

LaRider20

Dec 27, 2000
You take the Forest Hills exit, and go all the way through town till you go over the railroad tracks. Instead of taking a right, go left about 4 miles till you see the Lazy J sign on the right. If we stay there, we'll have to trailer the bikes to/from the riding area every day. This kinda sucks, and thats why I believe we should consider staying in the woods. Does anyone have any type of shower besides the 3 gallon bag hanging from a tree branch? Let me know.

Mixel

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
Its just one night isnt it? Just go without a shower for one day. It will definantly make day 2 more interesting.... no one will want to follow anyone else. Also, if someone gets separated from the group, it would be easier to find the group again... just follow your nose.

seriously though, how does the lazy j place work? do they have showers there, or just running water for your shower thing? We could set up camp in the woods (im thinking about the launching point camp ground), and have a place setup at lazyj too. Take showers there, then go back and sleep in the woods.

Anyway, just a suggestion, may not be possible, but i thought i'd throw it out

LaRider20

Dec 27, 2000
It will probably be a one night stay, since the kids won't be out of school till 3:30 in the afternoon on Friday. We'll probably get up early Saturday morning and head over to Forest Hills. Talked to my dad today and he said that there are new rules about not camping anywhere but the launching point, and that if you get off of the marked trails you'll receive a ticket. It seems like a bunch of B. S. to me. You can camp in the woods, but you have to trailer your bike to the launching point. If you are caught with your bike off of the trailer in the woods next to your tent, you will be ticketed. Sometimes I wished I lived back in the 70's when you didn't have to put up with all this bull****. The launching point is nothing but a dust bowl as far as I'm concerned. Our only hope is to get there early Sat. morning and cordon off an area for everyone in the back of the launching area. We may not get as much dust as in the front. I'm still gonna want a shower though, and you can't use the one at the campground unless you stay there, so it's gonna be visqueen and a shower hanging from a tree. Maybe we'll get lucky and have some rain a couple of days before the ride. Wish I had better news. I'd love to roost a forest ranger! :p

junkjeeps

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2001
I may be interested also. Keep me posted.

Mark

Mixel

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
Has it been decided where we will be staying yet? Any place is fine with me, i'm just wondering what the plans are as of now.

Also, how many people are expected to come? It may not be a bad idea to get everyone to post how many people are coming with them, so we'll know what to expect.

Troy mentioned in a previous post that if we stay at the launching point we'll need to get there early saturday, and hope we can find a spot near the back. Is finding a good spot to camp at the launching point going to be a problem? If it is, I may be able to go down there friday night and try to 'reserve' a place for us.

One last question, What time are we expecting to kick this thing off saturday morning? If its early enough, i may consider going friday night anyway, to keep me from having to wake up so early... some times i like to oversleep.

Let me know,
Michael

LaRider20

Dec 27, 2000
You got questions, I got answers. I would prefer to stay at the launching point so we won't have to trailer bikes back and forth daily.
I will be attending as well as my two boys.
Finding a good spot to camp shouldn't be a problem since we (me and the boys) will be arriving at 6am on Saturday morning.
I hope to be riding away from the launching point at 9am for the first ride of the day.

Those that plan on attending need to be sure to bring a tent, sleeping bags, flash lights, food, drinks, drink systems for riding, gear, etc., etc., etc. I will be bringing a small portable shower (a plastic bag to hang from a tree), and enough water for everyone that attends to shower with. I will also be bringing a camping stove, but it is very limited as to what it can do. I recommend that if you are unsure if you should bring something or not, bring it.
If you need to contact me, my e-mail is LaRider20@aol.com.

Moteaux

Professional Mud Tester
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 30, 2001
Troy,

As of right now, my offshore schedule looks to allow it. I have to go pick up my new bike before then, but if not I guess I can bring the 125 or borrow another from a friend.

I hope to see you there.

Randy

HomeMadeSin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2001
Just what constitutes a hill in LA?

I have in-laws in Harvey, LA in the West Bank and Baton Rouge. I wouldn't mind finding some areas to ride on one of the frequent trips to LA (from CO!!!) Any other areas closer to the Baton Rouge/New Orleans area?

junkjeeps

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2001
There's the Bonnet Carre Spillway, but that gets old quick. Lots of sand and water, it's a 4-wheelers heaven and a 2 wheelers nightmare. I don't go there much but it is improving. They have added a few miles of enduro trails but they stay wet. It's located in LaPlace right off Airline Hwy. Like I said I'll travel the 3 hours to Forest Hills before going to the Spillway.

Mark

KiDX

Sponsoring Member
Mar 30, 2001
Yeah those quads are really taking over at the spillway.
Mark, your right about the wettness. Those trails are always holding water.

ronnie c

Dec 17, 2001
Troy, I plan on being at the trailhead Saturday morning 11/2/02. We are staying in Bunkie at a friends place. We should have a group of about 15-20 guy's. Hopefully we won't have to much rain before we go. The forest sevice has a new procedure which states that if an area gets 2 inchs of rain within a 24 hour period they close the forest to ORV users only. If you call the OHV hotline (866-830-6467) like did for the last 5 days they will politely tell you that the Forest is open for all types of recreation exept for OHV's. This seems like discrimination to me. Anyway weather permiting we will be there between 7 and 8. Catch you on the trail, Ronnie

YZ250man

Jun 9, 2002
Well, a big ride planned for Forest Hill, huh? I never knew there were this many riders on the board from this area.

We were last there the weekend of June 27th and the riding was good. They do have a few new rules (which are good) like no tearing up the trailhead (4 wheelers loved doing this; early in the morning too). Also, they are trying to make riders stay on marked trails ONLY (for those of you that don't already know, there are 90 miles of trails in three loops), due to people making their own trails. Since this area used to be a training spot for the Army at the height of WW II, there are ordnances still being found, thus, staying on the trails will ensure safe riding.

We plan to go more often after the Loretta Lynn ride up in Tenn next week. We wouldn't miss that ride for the world! It's family oriented and a good time is had by all. The whole family (5 boys, 1 girl) is going again this year.

I'll keep checking here to see when another ride is happening at FH...it's really a nice place for a family ride.

LaRider20

Dec 27, 2000
Hey Ronnie, glad to see you visit DRN occasionally. Thanks for the phone #, I've been after my dad for a week now to get it for me. I like to ride Forest Hills, but HATE the politics. Thats why I love to ride privately owned tracks so much. We're not sure where we'll be setting up camp yet, but will be looking for yall on the trails. I got the invite from Richard as well, but the boys want to rough it. :( Tell the wife and kid I said hello.

LaRider20

Dec 27, 2000
UPDATE!!
Junkjeeps knows a place to camp not too deep in the forest that has an ideal spot for his camper, as well as for those bringing tents. It looks like junkjeeps will be arriving up there Friday (11/1) afternoon, so if you don't know the area and want to arrive Friday you should contact him. I will be arriving early Saturday (11/2) morning, as well as some of the other guys from Houma. We would like to meet at the little store next to the railroad tracks in Forest Hills at 7:00AM sharp. This is the corner of highway 112 & 165. Junkjeeps will meet us there, and after waiting 15 or 20 minutes for people to arrive, we'll then proceed to the campsite he has picked out.
I would hope that we can be headed to the launching point for the morning ride at about 8:30AM to ride for 9:00AM. If anyone has any questions, or I was unclear about something just post and someone will help you out.

Let's keep our fingers crossed for good weather.

LaRider20

Dec 27, 2000
Some changes: only one loop of the three is currently open, the other two loops are barb wired off. Also the area where junkjeeps wanted to camp is blocked off :debil:
I don't want to be a spoiler, but I'm beginning to wonder if it's even worth it. Maybe rescheduling should be considered.

Comments?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mixel

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
Which of the 3 loops is open? It does suck that 2/3 of the place is shut down, but im still up for the ride. On a 30 mile trail, it will still be new to me on the 2nd and 3rd loop of it, then we could swap and ride it backwards. The weather looks like it will be good. Chance of rain is 0% from wed to sunday, Hopefully that will hold out for the weekend.

I havent been able to ride in a while, so I still plan to go even if we do reschedule. Is there any word on when the rest of it will be opened back up?

It is a setback that parts of it are closed, but not enough to stop me from going. Thats just my thoughts on the situation.

Michael

LaRider20

Dec 27, 2000
I don't have the answers to all of your questions, but here are some phone numbers for the Kisatchie National Forest.

The answering machine-866-830-6467.
The operator-318-473-7160.
The forest ranger himself-318-473-9427.

I would love to go and still might, but I have a 7 yr. old to think about. It's crazy with 3 loops open, I'm wondering how bad it will be with only 1 loop open. I'm hoping things will change before the ride.

Mac_380

Aug 13, 1999
My wife and kids went to a Pie festival up around Forest Hill and camped at
Indian Creek this weekend. She said it rained a couple inches over the weekend. Been looking forward to riding the first weekend of November,but with that 2 inches of rain in 24 hour rule things are not looking to good.

Paul

Top Bottom