GAS/OIL mixture & black discharge

mlhend1

Apr 17, 2002
I have heard by changing the oil/gas mixture from 40:1 to 32:1 the motorcycle will be running leaner (less gas). Being there is more oil in the gas will this account for more black crap coming forth from my silencer than at 40:1, all other factors remaining equal.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
By changing premix ratio from 40:1 to 32:1, you are indeed running a leaner air/fuel ratio, more oil less gas.

"will this account for more black crap coming forth from my silencer.." Yes, all other factors remaining equal (that's important).

When you say, 'more' that's saying you have some spooge already, so chances are nearly perfect that it's going to get worse.

I guess if your spooge is coming from burning tranny oil and NOT your premix oil it wouldn't matter.......;)

If leaning your A/F ratio is your intent, rejetting is the proper approach, not changing your premix.

Yes, slight changes to premix can be used as a tuning tool, but going from 40 to 32:1 isn't slight.

Spooge is generally considered to be not a good thing. My S/A exit is dry, my pipe-S/A joint is dry. I changed oil brands awhile back, and now get a bit of spit at the cylinder, but I don't worry 'bout it. I'd rather it wasn't there..but everything is working SO well, I don't care!

..pipe has been twanged more than once, unfortunately. A new one would likely fit better.

oh well....something else on my 'to-do' list.

mlhend1

Apr 17, 2002
The strange part is the power is very crisp from bottom to top. I'm running 155/ 42 pilots with fmf pipe, fmf silencer, air box cover removed, boyensen power reeds. At these setting the NGK bpr8es plug is golden brown. (The plug use to be covered with oil when running slow, but I changed from a 48 to a 42 slow jet with great results). The stock needle is now set in the middle position (had to move down one notch (richer) after going to a 42 slowjet and had it rev with the distict lean sound. Much better after.) I was running castrol tts and switched to mobil1 mx2t.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
42/155 is likely pretty close.

Where'd the 'black crap' come in? After you changed oil? It's always been there? You had none with a 48 pilot, but do with a 42?

You gearcase oil level is not dropping?

Generally, 'black crap' is going to be a mixture (air/fuel) issue, not an oil issue. That said, I've never had spooge nowhere until I changed oil, and now I have the previously mentioned bit-o-spit at the cylinder.

A 40/152 might be worth a try, especially in the upcoming summer heat.

A bit skinny maybe if your around sea level and ride WOT most of the time.

There's a lot to be said for 'less messing, more riding' too!

Whatever suits. ;)

Top Bottom