2smoke

Sep 21, 2001
Baseball??? Basketball??? At least they dont use a manicured motocross track as a venue.....chock full of flogs!!!! Any dirt bike man worth his salt should walk onto a golf course and just get the urge to hold it wide open and float over the first green.....and generally just tear the place to pieces....so it looks like it should look. Always happens to me....

Flying Scot

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 13, 2002
Scot's - NOT Scott's - look up the web not a grass seed bag.

Golf is a hard game to learn but much pleasure can be had, even more frustration if you are a masochist.

I got fed up of hearing from American's  - You're Scottish and you don't play golf ?

I've played now for about 4 years and a month ago shot an 83 ( over 18 holes for the smart alec's out there ) I was extremely proud of the accomplishement. Since then I have had one good round and the rest have been 94 or above.

Last year I was a low 90's shooter and this year playing a lot less have been inconsistent all year.

Unlike other sport that the American's have basterdised to call there own ( Cricket - Baseball, Rugby - American football, pads and long rest periods ) they have left this game pure.

I'm sure years from now it will be put in an arena where the purpose is to whack the ball in to the opposing player and try and bounce it off them onto the green which will have a trampoline to allow it to be slammed in the hole with a putter. :laugh:

Anyway you can enjoy both dirt riding and golf.Both have there merits one of them is easier to find somewhere to play. :thumb:

Listen to Robin Williams on Golf, if you want a laugh and need to understand what it's all about.

Your's

Frustrated Scot.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
Tim Wilson said it best............

"If you can't get your nose broke playin' it, it ain't a sport"!

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
Originally posted by 2smoke
Any dirt bike man worth his salt should walk onto a golf course and just get the urge to hold it wide open and float over the first green.....and generally just tear the place to pieces....so it looks like it should look. Always happens to me....

Now I have to agree that a golf course brings about this uncontrollable urge to tear it up on the MX bike.....this along with my lack of desire to spend 6 hours behind the duffers is why I don't play golf anymore. I have better things to do now...will play golf again when I am old(er).

Spode, I also agree that I don't get it with the B-Balls (and yes, I suck at both of them) :thumb:

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
Originally posted by James
Generally, people that don't get golf don't "get it" because they SUCK at golf.

Also, if you are going to the course to drink beer and drive the cart, you don't "get it", and you probably SUCK at golf.

Golf was a whole lot better before everybody decided that the course was a good place to go drink and drive the cart. 6 hours behind these duffers is what takes the pleasure out of golf. I'd prefer that most of these people stay home and not try and figure golf out (they never will).

What I really don't understand is sitting in front of the tv watching basketball or baseball.....now that is CRAZY.

Hey James, after I wrote that I wondered if a few of the "purists" might jump out...it was a tongue in cheek response to a guy's frustration over a GAME. Didn' t mean to ruffle any feathers so there really isn't anybody to get on this one. C'mon, it's a game not a sport, and if you are really good, you are still just really good at a game, just like chess or anything else that requires a degree of proficiency, but not athletic skill. Sorry, but to see Stadler waddle around, fighting off an obesity induced heart attack proves this is just a game.

I do suck at golf mainly because I don't LIKE golf for many of the BS things it stands for. It's a pompous, elitist game that to this day still excludes many intentionally and still is a waste of a good MX track. Nothing personal as I don't know you...don't take a little humor so serious. Damn, took all of the fun right out of it.

Last edited:

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
Originally posted by CR Swade

Hey James, after I wrote that I wondered if a few of the "purists" might jump out...it was a tongue in cheek response to a guy's frustration over a GAME. Didn' t mean to ruffle any feathers so there really isn't anybody to get on this one. C'mon, it's a game not a sport, and if you are really good, you are still just really good at a game, just like chess or anything else that requires a degree of proficiency, but not athletic skill. Sorry, but to see Stadler waddle around, fighting off an obesity induced heart attack proves this is just a game.

I do suck at golf mainly because I don't LIKE golf for many of the BS things it stands for. It's a pompous, elitist game that to this day still excludes many intentionally and still is a waste of a good MX track. Nothing personal as I don't know you...don't take a little humor so serious. Damn, took all of the fun right out of it.

My feathers aren't ruffled.....as usual, my humor has been completely misunderstood (I have been reading some self-help books to try and fix my communication problem). The irony of my tongue-in-cheek response to the tongue-in-cheek response was that I took the purist point of view about golf, but then completely showed my ignorance by taking a similar stance on televised basketball and baseball that most of you were taking on golf.

It qualifies as a sport because it is physical activity that is governed by a set of rules and engaged in competitively. The amount of physical activity is probably what is in question here....especially now that courses make all players use a cart to keep the duffer cattle moving. I guess if you don't have athletic skill enough to play a good game of golf, then I can understand why you wouldn't see it as a sport. It is a sport involving coordination, calculation, and problem solving....but I agree that it isn't the same as running back and forth with your tongue hanging out of your mouth. I bet some of those 300+ pound lineman don't waddle as good as Stadler does.

And now the rest of the story....I am not a "purist" and I probably "SUCK" at golf as much as the rest of you these days. My handicap peaked at 8 about 7 years ago but I am lucky to break 100 these days. So now, when I do go, I have to ride in the cart to move fast enough for the snoots and might drink a beer or two to deal with the frustration. While I may not like golf anymore (because I suck at it), I can still aprreciate the challenge of it.

Sorry all the fun is gone for you...I am still enjoying myself :confused:

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
Originally posted by CR Swade

I don't LIKE golf for many of the BS things it stands for. It's a pompous, elitist game that to this day still excludes many intentionally

This is the side of golf that I see and the main reason that I do not like the game. To me, casual golf as I see it conducted, is the epitome of ugly Americanism. It is more of a social event than a game or sport. I was taken golfing once as part of a job interview. When I did not get a job offer, I really had to wonder why. Was it my job skills (or lack there of) or the way I dressed and my twenty year old clubs?

Funny thing is, I used to enjoy golf when I was younger, and did reasonably well at it. I still have a good swing and I only get out about once every ten years! However, with so little free time available, golf is pretty low on my list of choices for leisure time activities.

Mully

Moderator / SuperPowers
Jun 9, 1999
Wow, a little tongue in cheek reply and what happens. Do you guys want me to move this to the "FLAME" forum????? :debil:

Mully

Erick82

~SPONSOR~
Aug 30, 2002
Yep, golf sucks and I suck at it, so what. I play about three times a year at bank outings and have fun. I can hit the ball far, but not accurate. Anyways I think golf courses are the biggest waist of space. You could fit about three good size MX tracks in the amount of space of every golf course. Just think if your track was taken care of as good as your local golf courses.

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
I guess if you paid $40 - $50 to ride at your track it could be taken care of as well as a golf course.

I don't mind the golf courses so much....but I would like to see some of these crazy parking lots that are impossible to find your way out of turned into MX tracks. Would be nice if the landfills could be used for MX tracks like they do the golf courses. I know of more than one person who thinks vacant warehouse and retail buildings should be used for indoor MX tracks.

Unfortunately, when the golf courses do get replaced, it is usually a sprawl of housing. One couse became a mega retirement village/city near my house.....talk about a waste of space.

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
So golfers for the most part hate dirtriders and dirtriders for the most part hate golfers if not just for the sheer waste of rippable space.
I see a comprimise here, put MX tracks ON golf corses, let the golfers try to drive through the Airborne riders and maybe even get some satisfaction from possibly hitting one, and let the dirt riders dig riding the corse! Extream Golf!!!! whats more American than that?!

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
Originally posted by James

Unfortunately, when the golf courses do get replaced, it is usually a sprawl of housing. One couse became a mega retirement village/city near my house.....talk about a waste of space.

And you just know those silver backs were bitchin' about no courses nearby... :confused:

I really didn't mean to offend any golfers on the boards, I used to take lessons as a kid but just couldn't master the "cart discipline" needed to keep from being kicked out. I actually shot pretty decent. So what did I do? Worked at a blue-blood country club cleaning clubs, moving carts and grooming the driving range. Yup, you guessed it...the only job I've been fired from, for offensive cart driving.

And yes, the story I told earlier DID take place...public course, with a bachelor party round of golf.

I just can't get past hitting 90mph+ on a KTM big-bore with a fresh S-12 on a long par 5.

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
funny, some of the folks here who just don't get golf, sound like the folks who just don't get dirt biking.

If you golf, you have to walk, driving a cart is a big waste of time. Also you have to keep in mind, the higher your score, the more value bang for your buck you are getting. If you duff a shot, just hit it again (if you play like the Americans, those shots don't count !). The whole idea is just to get out there in the sun, take a leisurly walk, make sure you get your liquids in, also half the fun is to have a great partner, so you can BS and just kick back. Now if you can envisage golf as MX in slow motion, then you get to love the bunker shots, those out of the rough, the ones that land in the river, and the impossible ones through the trees. Picking a line takes on a whole new meaning :)

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
For all you guys that keep imagining being on a bike when you're golfing...you need to quit golfing and GO RIDE ;)

GOLF STILL SUCKS :) :yeehaw: :flame:

Flying Scot

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 13, 2002
Okay, okay this year I haven't played as much as I wanted too. Had to calculate how many rounds of golf to do without and how much overtime to work to pay for the bike.
But I have fun doing both.
Both have there merits. Good courses are only minutes from my house but somewhere to ride with the family without having to worry about your bike being taken by the local P.D.is nearly 2 hours.

Yes I know I should move smart alec's. :thumb:

Last edited:

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
No kidding golf sucks and nobody want to play with me anymore, because I don't take it serious enough.

If I go with the guys in the office, they're too freak'n serious, can't Laugh when driving, can fart when there putt'n and God forbid if you make fun of them if they go OB and they have cheating down to a artform.

I have never seen or heard so many gimmies, do overs and "Ivey shut the hell up"

And I go with some of my buddies we seem to always break something ( like carts). I have 5 courses within 15 mins of me and 3 of them I'm affraid to go back too.

Golf, what a waste of good dirt

jski

Sponsoring Member
Apr 5, 2001
I started golfing about 2 years ago and enjoy it although not as much as riding but it is a good break.

My favorite story about golf however is that the reason for 18 holes is because there was 18 shots of scotch in a bottle don't know if that is true or not but but was funny when I read it.

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
JPIVEY - I wanna play 18-holes with you sometime!

GOLF STILL SUCKS

Life's too short to take it seriously

wayneg

~SPONSOR~
Aug 29, 2001
Like most normal people I've always looked at golf courses and thought that it would be a nice place to ride a dirt bike - until I started riding trials. Now they look too flat and boring to be bothered with :) Wheres the challenge in riding your bike around what has basically become a car park?? Where are the hills?? Not so long ago golf courses used to have little bumps all over them, nowadays they seem to be over manicured and flat - dead boring. It seems to me that they need a few basic obstacles to make them more interesting. A couple of large rocks and logs spread about the place would be a good start - then I might finally be excited dreaming about riding on one.

Last edited:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I didn't start golfing until I was 30 or so. I actually love the game. Probably the hardest, most demanding, sport to do well in there is.

I'm just a hack and always will be a hack, so I just enjoy doing the best I can.
I envision the bunkers as fast sand turns and can see my self doubling the links every time I play.

My problem with golf is that I work with a bunch of golf whores!
Some of my customers find that if they press the golf button just right, their unsuspecting suppliers (like moi) will jump at the chance to take them golfing to make deals.
I've found that no matter if your product or service is the best, just take the customer golfing, let them drink all they want and then some, and never let them loose, and you are on your way to a contract! :)

If I told y'all how much money my partner and I have spent on golf this year it would make you sick. Hell, beer and cigars alone would probably purchase a new CRF.
Yes, I hate golf too! :)

Nevertheless

Jul 1, 2003
Aaarrrghhhh.
the "G" word. Reminds me of my ex, golf-addicted.
And the morning he came into the kitchen and said
"It's the marriage or the motorcycle."
I considered that for at least 4 seconds.
And said
'OK'

Top Bottom