Good news for kids - No more homework

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
I never had homework. I got it all done in study hall or other free time at school.

Kids these days sure are ahead of where we were at the same age.

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
that would be awsome! im in 10th grade, and i hate homework.. i would do so much better because.. well.. because i dont do my homework in the first place, that meaans no more zeros... and i personally think its a big wast of time.. because when your doing homework, you not studing the answer.. your not even sure its right,y uo just put down a answer to finish it, because in all my classes (but history) they just check and see if its dont.. they dont go threw it and see if the answers are right. half of teh teacher, just walk around, with a agradebook, and see if its done.
i dont know, but my grade would improve..

If this goes threw..... IM HAVIN A PARTY!!! :cool: Party at my house. Bring quads, and dirtbike,there is a ditrbike/quad track next door!

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
hmmm . . . I'd like to lobby to get Moparman1539 to get extra spelling and grammar homework.

Moose

~SPONSOR~
Sep 16, 2006
I don't see a point in homework either. Sure there's the odd couple of questions you might have to finish up from an in class assignment, but I don't see a point when they assign you questions to do at school, AND they assign you homework questions too. Also, I don't see why we should have to go to school for 5-6 hours a day, and also have to do 1-2 hours of homework a night. I highly doubt homework will be abolished though.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Yep, too much homework. That's definitely the biggest problem with our educational system.

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
i dont think i had to much homework but I always did mine during another class, normally the next class after it was assigned to me so i almost never had anything to do at home. I got lucky with most of my teachers though because I do remember other friends of mine who would have like 5 books to read and write reports on after there first day of class.

They should focus more on the friggin drugs that are in the school systems now instead of homework, now that is getting out of control

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
elliot67 said:
I don't see a point in homework either. Sure there's the odd couple of questions you might have to finish up from an in class assignment, but I don't see a point when they assign you questions to do at school, AND they assign you homework questions too. Also, I don't see why we should have to go to school for 5-6 hours a day, and also have to do 1-2 hours of homework a night. I highly doubt homework will be abolished though.

Ok.. how about this, eliminate homework, but add the time that you'd normally spend doing homework to the school day..

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
I do think that there is too much homework being assigned these days. And why are first graders given homework at all? Of course, some kids really do need a little extra, but they just put down an answer anyway, so it wouldn't help. If their teachers would grade their work a little more carefully, and maybe hand out a few F's for those that refuse to try, there might be fewer stupid adults graduating high school.
I have another complaint about schools. Why do I have to sign so much crap for these teachers? I graduated years ago, but have to sigh everything the teacher chooses to grade every week. Then there is the Agenda. Several of you parents know what I'm talking about. Some schools even penalize the kid if the parent doesn't sign it.

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
FruDaddy said:
I have another complaint about schools. Why do I have to sign so much crap for these teachers?
Some schools even penalize the kid if the parent doesn't sign it.

My wife is a teacher with a thankless job. This is what I have gathered over the years.

1. Signing the papers forces the parent to acknowledge whats going on. If the kid is doing well it gives you an opportunity to praise them. If not then you can take whatever action is needed.

2. Some of the things you are asked to sign might be requested by the administration and not the teacher. Do you really think the teacher likes sitting at home every night veifying signatures?

3. More parents than you think simply dont care. They consider school free day care.

If anybody thinks they can do better then try it. Sign up to volunteer for at least a week. Anything less than a week and you get the dog and pony show. Spend some time there and see what its all about.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
JWW said:
1. Signing the papers forces the parent to acknowledge whats going on. If the kid is doing well it gives you an opportunity to praise them. If not then you can take whatever action is needed.
Agreed. My boy, the little turd, will try and sneak stuff by me, but when he starts getting 50 points docked for not having one of us sign his homework, I eventually find out. He's learned to face the consequences of his goofing around early rather than later. He's also learned to goof around less ;)

JST122

Dec 29, 2005
Moparman1539 said:
that would be awsome! im in 10th grade, and i hate homework.. i would do so much better because.. well.. because i dont do my homework in the first place, that meaans no more zeros... and i personally think its a big wast of time.. because when your doing homework, you not studing the answer.. your not even sure its right,y uo just put down a answer to finish it, because in all my classes (but history) they just check and see if its dont.. they dont go threw it and see if the answers are right. half of teh teacher, just walk around, with a agradebook, and see if its done.

If this goes threw..... IM HAVIN A PARTY!!! :cool: Party at my house. Bring quads, and dirtbike,there is a ditrbike/quad track next door!

Unfortunately because of this post they just reconsidered the movement for less homework and have now agreed that more is better.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Less homework.......more time to hang out with Willie Nelson! :p

mg89

Mar 11, 2006
It sucks that just now schools are considering to not give homework, right after I just finished High School. Oh well...atleast it got me prepared for college homework, because they give a ton.

If they do stop giving homework, high school graduates will have a hard time keeping up in college because of all the homework they give. College is not exactly public school. I have to turn in a 800-1000 word essay tomorrow, and it was assigned today, along with my Political Science paper and Math 107 (with 65 hard problems). Yeah, sure, the kids might get better grades in high school, but would probably not do to well in college. For every hour of class you have in college you will have an average of 2 hours of homework. In college, you have to treat school like a full time job. A lot of the stuff is self taught. You can't ask your professor for help because in a University there can be over 400 other students in the class, but it's different in a community college because there is only 50-60 other students besides you.

Last edited:
C

CaNaDiAn,Eh?

I think it makes sense for elementary aged kids to have very little homework. I remember being in grade 4 and doing hw from the time I got home at night to until about 9:00 at night, I had to drop out of my only extracurricular activity just to fit all the hw in. There was never any class time given to complete it. It makes no sense for kids that young to be given that much hw, they won't learn from it, the only thing they will learn it to hate school.

In junior high I think there should definitely be work given, but for the most part enough class time should be given to at least get the majority of it done. If you have to take home a few questions every night that you didn't finish during the day it won't kill you.

Senior high in my opinion is a different story. There has to be at least some hw given in order to prepare the students for what a post secondary education will be like - no hand holding, and in some cases self teaching material. If a student enters univeristy with no concept of what it is like to have hw or have to put in work outside of classtime they will crash and burn. That being said, I has a lot of situations where even in grade 10 I was up until 2 in the morning finishing a social studies project, that had been assigned that night, that is purely unreasonable. Basically I guess I am saying that hw shouldn't be abolished all together, but should be given in age appropriate amounts. A kid in grade 3 has no reason to be getting hw, but grades 10-12 is a totally different story.

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
XRpredator said:
hmmm . . . I'd like to lobby to get Moparman1539 to get extra spelling and grammar homework.

so what.. i try to type faster than i can.. Its a habit, that is hard to get rid of.. And i didn't it in computer class, after i was done, and right before the bell.

JST122 said:
Moparman1539 said:

If this goes threw..... IM HAVIN A PARTY!!! Party at my house. Bring quads, and dirtbike,there is a ditrbike/quad track next door!

Unfortunately because of this post they just reconsidered the movement for less homework and have now agreed that more is better.

and just because i don't do my homework, doesn't mean i don't get good grades! i do good on all my tests, and class work, and whatnot, i just don't do homework.., i have NO grade below a "B" and i would probeley have all "A's" but i don't do my homework.

And i'm not really going to go to college, im going to go to ITT Tec for Computer Programming with C/C++ and im going to go into Video Game Design (something i would love, and it pays great) i mod games. I love to upgrade, mess around, and do stuff on my computer, and i have an Xbox360, and every game system that ever came out.. so i would liek to go into that profession

thebleakness

Sep 19, 2006
Im a senior in high school and I should have massive amounts of homework, right?....Nope instead I have the occasional Chemistry HW but thats about once a week. Next semester might be abit tougher though, college prep english 12, AP statistics and vocational welding II (just kidding, that wont be hard :p ).

I dont say get rid of homework all together but limit it somewhat. I can see where getting into the habit of coming home and doing something that needs to be done as soon as possible. But in the case of my sister they definatly need to lower the amount of homework. Shes in 7th grade and has 3-4 hours of homework every night. This doesnt leave her much time to go outside and have fun, they are robbing of her childhood in effect. I feel bad for her....wait, nevermind, I'm her brother, I'm not supposed to feel bad for her at all. ;)

loudandproud

Jul 29, 2006
im in school and i can honestly say that i dont learn anything from my homework.
Especially in math because usually i dont know what im doing to begin with.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Moparman1539 said:
And i'm not really going to go to college, im going to go to ITT Tec for Computer Programming with C/C++ and im going to go into Video Game Design (something i would love, and it pays great) i mod games. I love to upgrade, mess around, and do stuff on my computer, and i have an Xbox360, and every game system that ever came out.. so i would liek to go into that profession
Then you had better start paying a little attention when you type. It's hard enough to debug your programs when you pay attention to what your fingers are doing. If you continue to just bang the keys and hope for the best, you will never find all of your little mistakes.

Coloner_Dre

Feb 8, 2006
That is really weird that this is happening because in high school i wrote a paper about that exactly. And i still think kids would be more eager to learn without homework none like going to school then going home with it as well.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Moparman1539 said:
so what.. i try to type faster than i can.. Its a habit, that is hard to get rid of.. And i didn't it in computer class, after i was done, and right before the bell.

and just because i don't do my homework, doesn't mean i don't get good grades! i do good on all my tests, and class work, and whatnot, i just don't do homework.., i have NO grade below a "B" and i would probeley have all "A's" but i don't do my homework.

And you still can't spell.. And your grammer still sucks. Stick with the books kid, you are gonna be glad to have a decent education when it comes time to feed a family.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
To all of you currently in school that think life would be grand without homework, don't consider going to college!

High school homework is a joke, I realized that shortly after graduating. I did the bare minimum, and often would did my homeowork for one class in the period before. That was all fine and dandy till I went to college. Much of the homework there was not graded, or checked in anyway, simply assigned for your own good. Unfortunatly the "for your own good" part took 3 semesters for me to figure out. I went from a 3.95 high school GPA to draggin by on-and-off acedemic probation at college. 1 hour of studying outside of class for every hour in class is a good start.

Teachers assign homework for a reason, to help YOU. Do you really think they want to spend hours everyday going through a bunch of papers that aren't even legible half the time?

Troyboykx125

Sep 11, 2005
I dont know if this is true for other areas, but here in Texas they give a standardized test called TASK.....now thats good and all but the problem is the teachers salaries are based on how well the students do on these tests. Do you think these tests prepare them for college at all? The tests are easy and are pretty much a joke. If you were a teacher, would you teach the curriculum to help them do well in life or to get your salary higher? Just something to think about.

Top Bottom