gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
Please keep this information in here. As you can see sometimes things can get out of control and blown out of proportion.

I just received this e-mail from my Mother. She teaches 5th or 6th grade (I can't remember which). For those of you who have never met my Mother she has quite the sense of humor and can be rather silly at times. She has been commended in the LA Times on many occassions for her teaching.

I could hardly belive my eyes as I read this! I am VERY protective of my Mother and I'd like to hunt that parent down and do more than tape their mouth shut!!!

I can't believe people today. :( Kids used to get paddled in school and now you can even so much as look at them wrong.
I don't want this to turn into a who Parents vs. Teachers thing, I just feel so horrible for my Mother and I wanted to share.

"I have been caught up in a situation that has gotten out of hand.

Last May 7th, I was joking and kidding around with one of my students. I put a piece of masking tape on his mouth because of his incessant interruptions. It was done in humor and lightheartedness. The student rather enjoyed the attention. The class was caught up in the humor. I told the student he was a good sport. No malice intended.

You can guess what happened next. I met with the parents on the
following Monday and explained the situation and they were fine with the apology and understood it was done in humor and without malice. The principal was there, the parents, a representative of the district and the ******* Teachers association rep. It was decided that I would have a letter put in my file as a reprimand. Case closed.

The next day, one of the parents called the police and the newspaper, the Star News. The officer did not take a police report, but had to follow thru due to the call. He agreed it was nothing more than bad judgment and no harm done and his report of the incident would say just that. All of my students agreed that it was done in fun and humor and the officer had their comments to this effect. Case closed??

Next day an article appeared in the Star News and then all heck broke loose. About 13 different news media descended on the school. I was not there. I had been put on administrative leave until things calmed down, but apparently one of my parents was incensed by the incident. Another article appeared the next day and then the LA Times carried an article the following day. While home, TV news media came to my house. I did not answer the door. They were quite insistent and pounded on the door and even looked in the windows. Consequently, I left my house for about three days. It was horrible. The district has been supportive and protective of me, as has the teachers association and my fellow teachers. But for this one parent I would have been back teaching last week.

Now it seems, she is passing out flyers and trying to get support. The school has gotten calls from my other parents and past parents of students giving me support and asking that I be able to return. The problem is the notoriety of this. I am to lay low. I do my lesson plans and send them in. I call the district every morning to check in and get the latest news.

I am terribly embarrassed by this and have apologized to my
administrators, fellow teachers, parents, students, and anyone else that has been affected by this. I only learned today from the district that my leave has been extended. Apparently the Today Show called the district and wanted an interview with all parties involved. The district was astounded at how this whole thing has gotten out of hand. Good grief. Not only that, but last week Jay Leno made reference to the incident by saying something to the
affect, " Did you hear about the teacher who taped a student's mouth? Boy, I bet there are a few priests that wish they had thought of doing that!"

So, it is with great embarrassment that I even tell you this. I am still employed, the district is sticking to the original reprimand, the parents involved are still accepting of my explanation, the student harbors no ill will, and the police do not consider this anything other than an incident.
My principal wants me back as do my fellow teachers. It is the news media and this one parent that have stirred the pot. The climate today is so negative about certain issues that there is a feeding frenzy on any type of incident that is inappropriate, regardless of the circumstances.

I am so sorry if I have disappointed any of you by this. My humor and way of dealing with this student was unprofessinal. At the time it seemed so harmless. Actually it was, but in today's world, it is a different story.

Aimee, I would like to come visit you. I would prefer not to talk on the phone about this. I am so very upset and embarrassed.

I love you all, and just as soon I did not have to tell you about all this.

Mother"

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
No comment. Well maybe a little one. Some people make me ashamed to be human. I have to go count now.

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
Is this the one that was on the news a few weeks ago?

My wife is a teacher and she tells me stories all the time. Usually it racially motivated but its very unfortunate.

You just cant do anything anymore. All it takes is one parent to misunderstand a silly joke. To me it seems like most are only looking for a pay day.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Wow, I heard about it and thought that there was something missing that the news usually likes to forget about, the other side to the story. Sorry to hear about it and I have to say this and I've said it before, teachers in my eyes are way underpaid and given a task that usually involves babysitting kids that parents have the joy of dumping them at school for the day. Our teachers get about as much respect as law enforcement. Everybody jumps on the band wagon when it comes to a teacher possibly acting politically incorrect. Every whining parent has something to say about how their child should be taught but when it comes to the parent sitting down and working WITH their child at home, it doesn't happen. I'm sorry to go on about this but I have to say that this flames me more than anything. I have the best respect for teachers and parents need to take a step back and realize the liability and work that teachers have cut out for them to make sure that these kids grow up to run our country right. Parents think that it's just reading papers and giving tests but if they had any common sense, they would figure out how important a teacher is to our society.

I'm jumping off the box now because I get real pissed about stuff like this. Once again, I'm sorry and tell your Mom to hang in there. Also, tell her thank you from me for what she does for our kids. :D

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
Originally posted by RMjeff
Is this the one that was on the news a few weeks ago?
I don't know. I don't know what dates any of the articles came out either because this letter from my Mother is the first I ever heard of it. :whiner:

Yanno, a teach grabbed my arm really hard in grade school. I think I'm emotionally scared. Maybe I should call all the newspapers.......... :think:

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
One of the sad things is, my Mother is a really good teacher who goes above and beyond the call of duty. She used to teach in East LA when she was with LA Unifed School district. They had drive by shooting drills in addition to earthquake and fire drills! She's had to hit the deck on the playground before becuase of flying bullets! If that isn't dedication to a job you love I don't know what is. When we lived in the country in WA state (she still worked in LA) she wanted to take a bunch of inner city kids home with her for the summer so they could see the country, go to the river, and play in the grass, something they never did on the streets of LA.
Many times if a student has left their books at school, she'll drive to their home to make sure they get them. Parents have given her dozens of long stem roses before and you should see the piles of gifts she get from her kids and parents at Christmas. She makes the most amazing learning centers for her kids so learning would be fun. I used to play with them at home when I was a kid! Her garage is piled from floor to ceiling practically with school stuff over the years. You wouldn't believe how much money comes out of her own pocket for reading books and supplies for the kids that the school districts supposedly can't afford. This woman spends more time in school and working on school related stuff than I think anyone here works! Teaching is her life and for someone to try to destroy her over something like this makes me sick. :whiner:

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
Aimee- What district did this happen in? Is there some kind of support we can send her ... online petition or letters to an editor?????

Above all ...good things happen to good people... This will eventually pass with time. Let her know that we support her and you for that matter.

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
Originally posted by gospeedracer
You wouldn't believe how much money comes out of her own pocket for reading books and supplies for the kids that the school districts supposedly can't afford.

sad but true

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
Originally posted by RMjeff
Aimee- What district did this happen in? Is there some kind of support we can send her ... online petition or letters to an editor?????
I edited the district out of her letter because I don't know how she would feel about me sharing this with my friends. As you can tell from the letter she is so horribly mortified by all this she can't even talk to me on the phone!
I'm going to try and find the articles she referenced above (if anyone has any links it would be greatly appreciated) and see what kind of slant they put on the story. If it's really bad I might try to rally some support for her, although I think she would just rather this just all go away. That is one of the ways we differ. I'm a fighter and my Mother would rather take the less ugly route.
I appreciate the offer. I'll let you know.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Aimee, my brother was caught in a similar situation a couple years ago. He was a phy ed teacher and swimming coach. Seems one student overheard he and another coach make a joke about a female diver from another team taht didn't complete a dive and bellyflopped. She wasn't hurt but they said if she hadn't been so well endowed she would have completed the dive. Poor taste -yes- harmfull between 2 coachs(1 male and 1 female) and not said to anyone else- NO.
The student (not the one the statement was about) went home complained to his parents who called the press before anyone else. In all the hoopla that followed my brother said enough and walked away from 22 years of coaching in mid season. He had never had a complaint prior to this and had won more than 10 state championships. He just retired at his first opportunity this spring.
Often people think they have a cause and teachers are often the easy targets because of their daily contact with kids. With today's attitudes towards any authority the press also seems to want nothing more than to pilke the dirt also- all in the interest of public safety (BS ). First reporter ever sticks his nose against my window won't like what he sees pointing back at him.
My suggestion get her out of there for a visit to St Louis and show her you are still proud of her and what she does.

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Just from your brief description and her e-mail, I know exactly what kind of teacher your mother is. She's the ONLY type that EVER got me to LISTEN or do ANYTHING, EVER!!! This makes me sick. I picture dear Ms. Hesse or Mrs. Arthur going through this and my blood boils.

Anyone wanna go kick Dan Rather's ass with me? [read: who wants to go and subdue him first so I can just wail on his groin with my new boots]

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
WASHINGTON, May 22 — Skeletal remains found early Wednesday in Washington’s Rock Creek Park are those of missing former intern Chandra Levy, law enforcement sources told the Associated Press.

Maybe this will get their attention away from Mum :| Sorry that had to happen, I'm all for the teacher/school, since their given the responsibility to raise, feed, and teach your kid they might as well be given the right to discipline the little #$%@^^'s.
:ugg:

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
Sorry, before anyone over reacts, I meant little buggers in a good way :) :p

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Aimee, I found an article about it dated the 17th of May at www.latimes.com. I'll look some more for you.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
GSR, check your PM's.

bscottr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 2001
I’ll bet somebody is looking for $$$ from the school district. Maybe an interview with Katie (Today Show) isn’t such a bad idea. Your mom sounds like a wonderful person and teacher, I’m sure that would shine through the BS. :silly:

Teachers and Law Enforcement: Underpaid, over worked and un-appreciated. :ugg:

We’re getting to the point of being penalized for having a personality.

I hope it all works out for the best.

Scott

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
Well, I finally talked to her. She's going to come out to visit me this weekend. I read the LA Times article before I talked to her and of course it was inaccurate. It's like the telephone game gone really bad but it’s really only one parent (not the parent of the student) who’s running around like a chicken with her head cut off.
I guess getting an accurate story really isn’t the interest of the press these days.
She said she would be upset if I tried to intervene. She doesn’t think it would do any good and doesn’t want to make things worse. She can't really do anything until all the hype dies down. In the mean time I plan to keep her busy and show here good time while she’s here to get her mind off of it.
Thank you all for the support and kind words.

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
Ha, Ha :) If she did that would probably have made things worse. I can see the headlines now "Out of Control Dirt Bikin' Mamma on the Lose in Our Children's Classrooms" :silly:
The only riding she's done is on the back of street bikes when she was younger than me.

bscottr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 2001
Originally posted by gospeedracer
"Out of Control Dirt Bikin' Mamma on the Lose in Our Children's Classrooms" :silly:

:) ah...well, I mean :|

You think showing her this thread may cheer her up? :)

Scott

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Fight fire with a flame thrower. File a lawsuit against this "parent" for infringements of her right to privacy. By them stirring the media up should could have a case. As my dad would say, "Sue the sonzabeeches".

Top Bottom