GPRS V4 Stearing Dampner Results on CRF450R

Spokes574

Apr 27, 2001
I wanted a dampener due to the fast gp track I ride on when going down a long steep hill with lots of bumps, my bars occasionally wanted to pull out of my hands. A few times during a long race I almost lost the handle bars; and that was scary. So I purchased the new GPRS V4 model which is a new slender model that mounts under the bars and raises the bars ~3/8".

Results
the dial has adjustments from 1-8.
For fast motocross GP track I have it set on 3.25 roughly.
After using for 6wks I do not even know its there anymore.
I no longer ever noticing that the bars ever wiggle at my hands when coming down the long steep hill at fast speeds.
I can now go down the hill faster due to the fact that my handle bars never move around. The only issue I have now is making sure I can come to a stop at the bottom since I am going so fast. Also on long fast straight aways the handle bars are smooth.

If i turn the dial beyond 3.25 setting, I will notice resistance of the bars turning for tight turns only. So I have left at 3.25 and its feels good at tight turns.

My cost was ~$525 with tax shipping and the new bar mount setup for my RG3 clamps.

So I do think it was worth it but very pricey. For me I will take the unit bike to bike, just like I do with my FASST handle bars. That is the only way to justify the price, unless you have crashed before and its needed for safety.

Spokes574

Mophuka

Jan 14, 2006
I have a GPR damper on my bike and love it. I ride mostly trails and have been bitten by the occasional root more than once. Since the install I have not had any problems like before. Plus I notice that my arms aren't as tired after longer rides.. I too will also be moving this from bike to bike..

Mophuka

Jan 14, 2006
I already had it on my race bike (crotch rocket), and all I had to do was buy the mounting brackets for my dirt bike. saved myself a couple hundred dollars that way..

Spokes574

Apr 27, 2001
I leaned/selected toward the GPRS 4 model due to the low profile below the bar mount.
Above bar mount is too dangerous for MX due to hitting the posibility of hitting
the chin on the handle bar on coming up short. I never have done it, but
my son has.

Price seemed reasonable also. Now that I have it, I can say it does work. i keep the setting at 3.5 for MX and its works just fine. Anything beyond 3.5, I can feel resistance in turning a tight corner.

There is another brand that is more popular, but it did not have low profile below the bar mount. Their model seemed to raise the bars way too high and was much more expensive. The GPRS 4 is a good value price and very slim profile. My bars were raised about 3/8" of an inch and I barely noticed the change on the bike. Though the gprs 4 only has one circuit - not sure the complexity of that - it worked fine for me. My pals like it also. I have 20mm RG3 offset with FASST Bars and its a very sweet setup now.

Spokes574

steve.emma

Oct 21, 2002
just a side note here but i saw a magazine add for the 08' crf bikes the other day and it seems they will have a factory steering damper located behind the front number board. looks like a pretty cool unit!

Spokes574

Apr 27, 2001
CRF450R Y08 Dampner.
Its not a real full feature dampner.
It does nothing for fast straightline impacts from Center out.

The CRF450R Y08 dampner kicks in not a center,
but the closer you get to full turn.
So what it does is trys to slow down how fast you turn the handles
when it gets close to full turn.
Reason is with the 22mm offsets - even more with 20mm offsets,
when you take a tight turn real fast and you are sitting on the gas tank,
the forks want to tuck in! So what the dampner does is try to slow down
how fast you turn it when you get to maximum turn radius
in hope of minimizing the front wheel from tucking in.

I know this first hand. I have 20mm offsets on my CRF450R and if I sit on the
gas tank on a tight fast turn, the forks want to tuck in, the only way to minimize
this is to stiffen up the form so that you do not get any fork diving when making a tight turn/sitting on the gas tank. I minimized this by adding fork oil, raising the oil
level 5cc helped.

Its not a centerline stearing dampner - will not help at fast speeds or hitting logs

Spokes574

Top Bottom