NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
Hi guys,
I just applied n-style ultra graphics on my 00cr125. I prepared the new plastic shrouds by cleaning them with hot water and soap but even still, now the stickers are unsticking and the sand got under it. If I clean the sand with a solvent do you know of any glue that would work? and
is there a trick to make them hook better next time?

Thanks alot!!

BenjaminPQ

Spammer
Jan 4, 2001
I can take a stab at this for you.

I THINK it would have been better to use contact cleaner or alcohol instead of water. If you used hot water it could have filled the plastic with moisture possibly causing the stickers to not stick.

Also, I have had experiences where if you don't clean with contact cleaner or alcohol it won't get all the oil (gas) out of the plastic causing bad results.

scotts250

Jul 30, 2001
Graphics

If you can clean out the dirt or even if you can't, 3M Super 77 spray adhesive works pretty good. Just try to clean the surface with alcohol or contact cleaner first. Put some tape on it while it dries some and it should stick.
Scott

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
Thanks for the tips. I removed the part of the sticker that was filled with dirt and I removed the dirt using brake cleaner and a scraper. I could not get 3M super 77 so I tried using Lepage contact cement. It looks like it's gonna hold. I used the hair drier this time to help the graphics stretch and help the glue bite. It didn't give a smooth surface like before though, the glue made ripples like if I ad left some dirt but it was really clean before I applied the glue. I'm anxious to try some 3M super 77. It probably will give better results. I cleaned the glue stains with the brake cleaner and now at least it's half better as it was before. If you have more info on how to make a better job let me know.
Thanks

dog

Oct 4, 2000
I had the same problem (not sticking) with CEET graphics on new UFO plastic. I even cleaned everything with alcohol and it still didn't stick like it should. I think they stick better to old plastic. I ended up scratching up the plastic under the decals with 400 grit sandpaper. This helps it stick, but it looks bad anywhere the scratches didn't get covered with decal. I would lke to know any other tips people might have to make decals stick to new plastic.

holyroller1

Jun 20, 2001
One of the best things I have found to use for plastic prep are products by SEM. They have SEM plastic prep, SEM soap and many other products. The SEM products mentioned are meant for cleaning and preping plastics for paint and dye.

They can be purchased at quality automotive paint supply stores. The stuff works better than anything I have ever used, and I have done a lot of plastic prep in my life.

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
If you want to restore scratched plastic, I've tried Mop'n Glo and it worked great after sanding with fine grit. It was used by Randy Lawrence on McGrath's bike to save scratched plastics for photos. I'll look for Sem products at my local auto parts store.

Top Bottom