bordrshane

Dec 13, 2005
I was just about to dive into regreasing my linkage and steering stem (while waiting for my top end to arrive), and wanted to know what kind of grease you suggest. I got grease used to lube boats and trailer bearing thinking that my bike will see some water. Will this work better that the regular stuff?

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Use high-temp waterproof grease, like Silkolene Pro-RG2.
Click Here

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
can you tell me what i am missing here? why do linkage and steering bearings need high temp grease? waterproof yes, but high temp?????

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
Why would you need high temp grease? None of the chassis bearings are exposed to high temperatures.

I just Bel Ray waterproof grease on mine. Something sold for personal watercraft is also a good idea.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
A bearing doesn't have to be near a heat source to experience heat does it? Ya think wheel bearings get a little hot? Do you put a thin film of grease on the axel? And then of course there are the YZF's with hot oil in the frame, which in my experience has in fact caused grease in the steering head to break down and leak on the fender. Considering the cost of grease, why bother with two different kinds?

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
Actually, yes, a bearing does need to be near a heat source to experience heat. Do wheel bearings in dirt bikes get hot? Not really, compared to streetbike wheel bearings or trailer bearings or the like. They turn at much lower speeds than those, due to both the larger diameter of the wheels and also the lower overall speeds of the vehicles. They also don't get cooked by braking heat. Besides, he said nothing of wheel bearings in his post.

Since he's working on a YZ490, the YZF's penchant for melting the head bearing grease is also not relevant. The Bel Ray I've used on my CR has worked just fine in every application he mentioned, so I see no need for high-temp grease. I also don't know what they put in high-temp grease to make it more temperature resistant, so there is no guarantee that those same additives don't make it less effective at lower temperatures and therefore an inferior product in this application. There are no free lunches in life.

As for "considering the cost of grease," I think you have it backwards. Grease is relatively cheap, so buying two different kinds isn't a significant expense. Then you have the option of using the best product for the job at hand, instead of a one-size-fits-all solution. I've probably got a half-dozen different kinds of grease in my shop, all for different applications. That same tub of grease will also outlast a dozen motorcycles, so the cost isn't even worth considering.

Top Bottom