Having Problem With 2000 Kdx 220r

KDXSteve220

Apr 10, 2016
I'm hoping there might be someone with a good suggestion for my problem. I have a 2000 KDX 220R. I just put a new piston in it because the last one, the stock piston "gernaded" - with what I thought was little damage.

[side note: when it blew up on me, it stalled the bike immediately, but since I was in the middle of nowhere, I had no choice but to try and kick it over, so I did. It started and I drove it 5 miles home (very delicately). It started when I got it home too)

Okay, with the other options of 1)replacing the motor or 2) tearing this one completely down I decided to {based on a good compression test} 3) replace the piston and see what would happen. I took off the head and cleaned out the cylinder. Re-honed it and put the new piston back in. Game day came and I kicked it over. Boom! It started first try and I was off. Test drove it up the road where I stopped by a neighbors. Tried to kick it over when I left and it wouldn't start.

I got it home and found that the spark plug had gone bad. (There was no spark when I grounded it on the motor) so I replaced it, the new one sparked, so I thought this was a dead ringer. But now, it still won't start. I know there's spark, and I'm assuming there's still good compression, the plug looks wet and smells of gas, so what else can it be? Weird timing? Did a piece of the piston that I didn't get cleared out screw something up? Not re-assemble something correctly?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you might have.

KDXSteve220

Apr 10, 2016
Yeah, thanks, don't worry about stating the obvious, you don't know necessarily know what I know and don't know. Yeah, I cleaned out the carb and checked the jets. But didn't look at the reeds. They could go bad too?

When you say 'air' fuel and electric you mean compression than I get ya, I'll check compression again this evening. And when you say 'electric' - can we assume if I have a nice blue spark that the electric is functioning as it should?

jaguar

~SPONSOR~
Jul 29, 2000
South America
all you needed to do was remove the melted aluminum from the cylinder with some sandpaper and then put the rings in the cylinder and shine a flashlight under them and look to see if any light gets past the rings at the same section of where the melted aluminum was. If not then the rings are still good.

Now you need to check compression, check the reeds, clean out the idle jet, and check the crank seals

Top Bottom