Help Help a newbie

Quick update:
I bought a NOS crank today. The existing crank is completely toast.

Now that I’m over my annoyance it is fun. Actually it’s more fun. It was already fun :-)

Let me say how grateful I am for everyone’s support and guidance.

It's going to feel like quite the achievement when you finish this project! A LOT of work, but so worth it. Shame tho that the awesome paint job won't survive all the work. _ARG_

Totally agree. I haven't tackled a teardown/rebuild like this since my 1978 Yamaha XS400 needed a rebuild.
And I've never done a two-stroke so a lot of new stuff for me.
For example, I was surprised that the crankcase was full of fuel. Took about 5 seconds to figure that out!

- a d v e r t i s e m e n t -

I wasn't going to turn any wrenches tonight but I had to pop out to the garage to get some tools for a quick home repair. Did the repair and upon returning the tools to the garage, picked up my socket set and took out the swingarm pivot. Took all of 3 mins maybe. Popped off the upper shock mount and undid the rear master cylinder in anticipation of rolling the swingarm back but I forgot about the linkage bolts. Gave a half-hearted go at the lower shock bolt but no dice. Dosed it up with AeroKroil and will have a go at it tomorrow.
OSHA alert: I was wearing my slippers!

This is a great thread! I can't wait to see the final build!
Thanks!
I’m throughly enjoying the process. I’ve put down my annoyance with the PO.

One thing I’m enjoying is how easy it is to do the work.
My street bike a Honda ST1300 is a bit of a bear to work on because it’s so much engine in a small space. Four cylinders, etc make it much more complicated. Even getting to the engine is a 20 min exercise in removing plastic.

Last night I learned that I can rebuild the YZ shock. By myself. That’s amazing to me. And appeals to my diy attitude.

truespode

Wheelie King
Last night I learned that I can rebuild the YZ shock. By myself. That’s amazing to me. And appeals to my diy attitude.
You can use an air compressor and air for the shock but it should be nitrogen. Once you rebuild it you may be able to take it a shop to have it filled with nitrogen for a fee. That is how I would do it but I had a friend that used his air compressor without any issue but I don't recommend it.

You can use an air compressor and air for the shock but it should be nitrogen. Once you rebuild it you may be able to take it a shop to have it filled with nitrogen for a fee. That is how I would do it but I had a friend that used his air compressor without any issue but I don't recommend it.
Why nitrogen vs air?
Just curious.

Last night’s progress:
Tonight’s progress:

Swing arm off.

Easy peasy, lemon squeezy!
Pesky electrical connector to the stator yielded to my mind power.
Singing “Ain’t nothing tight on this here machine!” to the tune of “Ain’t no sunshine when she’s gone” as I popped off the countershaft sprocket.

Engine is out!
EB703100-5569-4F5D-8F22-05E2D12BFACE.jpeg
Piston is off. I had to really work to got the pin out. I’d say there was some overheating in this pistons past.

9EE81F64-8565-4B70-83E2-83755A012709.jpeg

Wrist pin and bearing were very tight in the small end.
07A1E9F1-5E4C-4228-AF8A-857CEB1A3DB0.jpeg

I don’t know how I’m going to get this out. I tried to bend it back a bit with zero success.

AE691E93-1CA9-49A3-A8D3-FE1818FBCDB3.jpeg
I have a new one on the way. I might just cut the bent end off.
961B413B-0256-4951-B8D1-284413CA041E.jpeg 6F8336A4-6B23-4ED2-A998-3AF79CF4E570.jpeg
Some random shots of the not so pretty frame.

I discovered that the lower right stator cover bolt had aluminum in its threads. Not a good omen. Might be a helicoil in my future.