kaw Bill

Oct 1, 1999
I was riding with a buddy this past weekend and we ran into a problem with his 87 XR 600. The bike whas running fine until he tipped it over. It's not a fuel related problem. The bike just isn't getting spark now. We checked all wiring connections including the spark plug cap and every wiring harness connection. The wiring is only about a year old so I don't think there could be a short in an actual wire. The light still comes on when you kick it over. I'm at a loss. should I test the little black box under the seat? I think it's the ignition control module. What other tests should I perform. It just seems so wierd that tipping the bike over would cause this.

kaw Bill

Racers Edge

Jan 22, 2001
Try replacing the plug even if it gets spark. The electrical sounds fine since the light is still coming on. Also you could check the valve clearances. Something might have jarred loose if it fell hard. Check to make sure the plugs wet also so you know it's getting fuel.

Snowblind

Apr 22, 2001
First a new spark plug is a must

Second i would check that all parts past the ohms check,

Pulse generator 360-440 ohms
Ignition coil
Primary side 0.1-0.3 ohms
Secondary side 7.4-11k ohms / 3.7-4.5k ohms w/o cap

Exciter Coil 230-320ohms
~45VAC at kick-starting speed

The lighting system and the spark plug use different coils inside the engine

Check the Pulse generator gap should be around 0.024-0.027 inch to work, you have to take off the kickstarter side case cover off to check this.

Can the bike be push started by holding in the compression lever and going about 30 feet then putting bike in first gear and then after a few feet letting out the compression lever.

I also have this bike and i had problems after a topend rebuild getting a spark that would start it useing the kickstarter, I cleaned everything even the stator
still wouldn't start... i push started it once and rode it about 30 mins it now start every time in 1 to 3 kicks

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
I would check the Kill button/switch before doing anything. If the bike fell on the kill button it could be shorted.

kaw Bill

Oct 1, 1999
were are the pulse generator and the ignition coil located on these? Also, if one of these components is bad who would be able to get it for me quickly? thanks

kaw Bill

Snowblind

Apr 22, 2001
Hmm, I see where I may have confused you.

VintageDirt is right check that too, I would just disconnect it.

WARNING: Do not connect the meter or try to do a ohms check on the "black
box/ CDI unit" disconnect it and set it off to the side it can be damaged by doing this and for a 100USD part that can't be returned if that not what was
wrong this is also the last thing i would replace. testing the wire color combos with it plug in will not damage it, theres just no way of checking the CDI unit with a ohms readings just disconnect it to be on the safe side.

Ignition coil is under the tank (the thing that spark plug wire comes out of)
Leave the wires connected to the coil.
Primary side green and black/yellow should be 0.1-0.3 ohms
Secondary side black/yellow and the spark plug cap should be 7.4-11k ohms

Exciter coil (chain side of engine) black/red wire to ground should be 230-320ohms can also do a voltage test ~45vac need a digital meter with peak and hold to see it though

Pulse generator (kickstarter side of engine) green/white and blue/yellow should be 360-440 ohms.

If these numbers check out disconnect plug that connects to the "black box/ CDI unit" and do a ohms check on these same wire color combos for a short in the wiring

Check the Pulse generator gap should be around 0.024-0.027 inch to work, you have to take off the kickstarter side case cover off to check this.

Hope this helps, let us know.

kaw Bill

Oct 1, 1999
The suspense will now end. I had a guy with some knowledge and a multi-meter test all the electronic components and it turned out to be the ignition control module. I guess when he pulled the gas tank off and the wire that goes from the coil to the module was disconnected. He thinks it blew because the wire came out. Hopfully it starts once the module is in. I guess we'll find out.

kaw Bill

Top Bottom